Error: 80040154 when signing in to live messenger 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntentes

i dowloaded and installed the new windows live messenger 2009 but every time i try to log in it says "signing in to windows live messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. it has an error called error: 80040154. my internet is working perfectly fine and i also went to a website with steps on how to fix it but it still doesn't work!!?!?!

Please help.

Hey, I got that contacts.msi or whatever was suggested in the link in your post #2 in this topic and I thought wow finally I can log in BUT!
What happens now is that it looks like it's actually gonna log in, then it just drops back to as if I never entered the password O_O

How the hell to fix this?

edit: now I'm actually getting this again: Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a problem and needs to close.

-.-

Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Find the Error in the Event Viewer that corresponds to the time of this message.

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

For Vista: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Monitoring-Event-Logs-Windows-Vista.html

You did not answer:
What operating system are you using?
Is it 64 bit?

It's Windows XP 32 bit

Edit: error report:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 6.4.2009
Time: 14:07:58
User: N/A
Computer: DESETIBRAT
Description:
Faulting application wlcomm.exe, version 14.0.8050.1202, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x0001b1fa.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at [microsoft link]
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 77 6c 63 ure wlc
0018: 6f 6d 6d 2e 65 78 65 20 omm.exe
0020: 31 34 2e 30 2e 38 30 35 14.0.805
0028: 30 2e 31 32 30 32 20 69 0.1202 i
0030: 6e 20 6e 74 64 6c 6c 2e n ntdll.
0038: 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 31 2e dll 5.1.
0040: 32 36 30 30 2e 35 35 31 2600.551
0048: 32 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 2 at off
0050: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 31 set 0001
0058: 62 31 66 61 0d 0a b1fa..

Would it make you feel any better if I told you that a multitude of users are having this same problem? And so far, there does not seem to be one firm answer. So here is some information that hopefully you can use:

I found this particularly interesting:
wlcomm.exe is part of the Windows Live Messenger Contacts Server.
Recommendation: wlcomm.exe uses excessive system and memory resources with no corresponding benefit. Applications such as these should be disabled to improve overall system performance
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-messenger/1095282.htm
The ntdll.dll file is a file created by Microsoft that has a description of "NT Layer DLL" and is the file that contains NT kernel functions. ntdll.dll can become corrupt, but if it did, you wouldn't be able to boot.

These two solutions worked for these people:
There was a solution for me.I had installed nVidia Forceware Access Manager. After removing it, everything works fine.
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...5e-bb1b-42684b3dfa3e&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1
AVG anti-virus program has been causing problems letting users log-in. If your unable to login, make sure you check your firewall settings, and if you’re using AVG try disabling it.
http://www.blogsdna.com/1725/fix-windows-live-messenger-9-2009-build-1202-login-sign-in-issue.htm

Please let us know if you find somethings that works for you- maybe we can pass it on to the next person who asks. Sorry I can give you anything else- maybe Microsoft will issue a patch! lollollol

Would it make you feel any better if I told you that a multitude of users are having this same problem? And so far, there does not seem to be one firm answer.

LoL, the only implication I get out of this is that WLM is seriously screwed up, means bad work was done. Kinda doesn't make me feel better xD

I think for me only the first suggestion is viable (got Avast - I guess this shouldn't cause problems, or should it?) so how do I disable wlcomm.exe.

Thanks for the help anyways :)

so how do I disable wlcomm.exe.
Take it off of Startup:
Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK any processes related to WLM> Apply> OK.

You may have to go into the programs itself and disable it. Use Windows explorer: right click on Start> Explore> Programs> click on WLM> check files on the right screen.

NOTE: the first time you reboot after making a change on Startup, you will get a nag message that you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

I found another comment:
i am rolling back to 8.5 for now. Maybe in another 6 months enough people will have this problem MS will figure it out.

Take it off of Startup:
Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK any processes related to WLM> Apply> OK.

You may have to go into the programs itself and disable it. Use Windows explorer: right click on Start> Explore> Programs> click on WLM> check files on the right screen.

Hm. The only process related to WLM was some msnmsgr.com/background or something and it didn't really change anything. However, I found the file itself but can't really see a way to disable it (at least no such option) - should I make it read-only or?
And since I doubt it's gonna work, how do I roll back to 8.5? Whatever WLM I try to download is that latest shitty version, can't really find anything solid :|

The WLM is within the Window Live program.

So modify this:

Instead, click on the Windows Live program, then look on the right screen for the messenger.

Consider uninstalling the program then installing the earlier version. As I mentioned, there are a lot of questions about this problem but very few answers.

-.-

Uninstalled the latest version (14.something), tried installing MSN 7.5 and it just says that I have a newer version installed and that I should uninstall it before continuing. Like wtf? I uninstalled 3 times over and computer still says it's there (with numerous restarts inbetween).

Might as well just go to some other client :x

by the way i have mocrosoft xp proffesional and it doesnt say in general tab 32 or 64 bit...i dont know what it is. its a pretty old computer, its probably 5 to 7 years old

ntentes, you started this thread two weeks ago. You most likely have 32bit.

Please give update of what's happening with the system>> exact error message and what you are doing when it comes up.

No there is better

Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove any remaining files........:

......It's a small download, save to the desktop, run to install, open then highlight the remaining WL and WLM files.

no, dont bother, for most folk it dosnt work,
better to try ZapMessnger, google for it, then instal, and start it, ( on instalatio n it will run auomatically, clik start when it starts up), and it will clean out all the bunk left over.

THEN go into add or remove programmes (assuming you are on XP ), and uninstal windows live anything at all..
now re-instal earlier version..
only problem you may get is it may give you an error 80040154
and i have seen NO conclusive resolve for this at all...

but i was given windows clean up utility by the official windows team, and really i was flabbergasted that it didnt do anything for me.. and a non windows team device (ZapMessenger) did it in seconds flat!!

oh! also for error: 80040154, it was suggested to reregister a .dll, that didnt work,
also to instal an msxml3.dll (?) and THAt too didnt work,
and am finding no answers even from "experts having this issue

ho hum! maybe back to yahoo, skype, or anything, never had so much hassle from any other messenger

To gnowave:
no, dont bother, for most folk it dosnt work,
It worked for me.

also to instal an msxml3.dll (?) and THAt too didnt work,
and am finding no answers even from "experts having this issue

Rudeness is a big turn off for us. We are all volunteers, out help is free. Only those who are inexperienced waste time telling people they are experts!

ZapMessenger is specifically for the MSN Messenger- it might indeed work for that program. The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is not tto uninstall programs> it should be used to remove orphan files that can't be deleted.

but i was given windows clean up utility by the official windows team,

There is someone using this board who represents himself as a member of the "official Windows team." He isn't and neither are the other 3 people who represent themselves that way. Every forum they have posted on has questioned them on this.

Error: 80040154 is a COM error. Do you even know what that is?

same problem

hi im having the same problem

long story short, new computer, deleted windows messenger because it wasnt working, tried to reinstall it said it was already installed, found a program called zapmessenger and it deleted it off of my computer, reinstalled it opened up, i tried to log in got error 80040154, tried this method 3 times, still isnt working, went to the official site tried all their methods to fix this and nothing has worked,

im using vista ultimate 64 bit

help meeee lol thanks

Windows Live Messenger 80040154 Sign In Error

Heres what I came up with to fix the Windows Live Messenger 80040154 Sign In Error
and it works for me :)
First of all you can try what microsoft suggests when you google this error,
which is what I tried...nothing work!!! Heres my solution that worked for me.
My operating system is windows xp home edition.
Lets get started with the fix that worked for me...

1. First of all you need to uninstall windows live messenger...just a normal uninstall
will do fine...

2. Now you need to have either two hard drives on your computer or
at least one hard drive which has been partitioned.

3. Providing step two has been fulfilled go to Start - Run - then type in Regedit
& back up your registry... If you are unclear on how to do this just google it.

4. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

5. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be C:\Program Files

6. Change this to whatever directory you wish. I changed it to D:\Program Files for example.

Remember you have to reboot for your changes to show.

7. Once you have rebooted go ahead & download windows live messenger & install it...

8. Once you have started it up and all is working well, turn off windows live messenger.

9. Navigate again to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

10. Find ProgramFilesDir whose default should be now be D:\Program Files
or whatever you changed it to & change it back to what it was before.
You don't have to... its up to you... but if you don't all new programs you install
from now on will go to D:\Program Files instead of C:\Program Files for example.

11. If you didn't change it back then you are done... if you did change it back
go to the next step...

12. If you did change the default program directory back to where it was,
do a right click on your windows live messenger icon then click properties
& change the path from "C:\program files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"
to "D:\programme\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" or where ever you
changed it to in the registry. All you do is replace the C with a D or whatever
drive letter you changed it to in the registry...
All done :) I hope this helps everyone who has been troubled with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back