2003 Outlook Password not retained

Status
Not open for further replies.

cball75

Every time log in Outlook needs to re-enter password to get mail. I have deleted my accts and created new ones but the problem still is happening, I have tried MSKB Article ID: 290684 and still no luck.

Thansk in advance for any help.

Start->Run-> Services.msc -> ok

Scroll down to: Protected Storage
Double click on it
Change the Startup type to Automatic
Apply -> OK-> Close Services Window
Restart your computer

Open Outlook and type in your password when requested
Close Outlook
Anytime you re-open Outlook for now on your password should be saved

It was already in Auto, so I changed it to Manual and re-started pc.
Then I went back in and changed back to AUto. Opened Outlook, added password and closed, re-opened and still is asking for password.

I am clueless at this point, will reloading outlook help and if so what about all my saved mail?

Yes you can Repair Outlook, by going to Add\Remove programs and selecting "Change" (it may say something slightly different) on MS Office (office carries Outlook as you probably know)

As for backing up, yes you should always make backups

By the way leave the service in Automatic (mine is)
And also confirm that in your Outlook settings, (on the toolbar) That your password is also typed in there in your account settings. I think it has a "remember password" tick box as well. (I don't actually use Outlook)

Anyway, there's a couple more suggestions ;)

Edit:

I'm sure you covered this ok :confused:
Then I went back in and changed back to AUto. Opened Outlook, added password and closed, re-opened and still is asking for password.
But if you didn't restart after the change to Automatic, then you should have "Started" the service manually

I will try Repair then.

My backups are ran every night with ext hd, was not thinking straight about mail being lost.

Thanks for the sugesstions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back