New Windows SP3 tips and tricks

bigwat

Hi there i'm a person who loves to tweak my PC(laptop) to look and feel good.
i have searched the net but those that I've seen I've tried and others don't appease me. Are there any interesting yet uncomplicated to do?
I would appreciate it.

Thanks.....
Oh i should probably say that i have xp because i love working with it and i have tweaked it to look exactly like windows 7(just for looks), but I've tried: logon studio, boot skin,windows blind e.t.c. Those are all tweaks but i'm talking just tricks and tricks.
Thanks again.

you can download tweakui here.
> It installs itself into C:\Windows\System32. Just double click it to run
> Look through its menu and feel free to set/unset any of its UI options

Tweakui is a pretty easy and safe tool to use to tweak certain Windows XP user inteface setings.

However, in general, re: Tweaking your machine . It can be fun as well as be educational to learn more about Windows by tweaking one's machine. But it can sometimes also have an element of risk. (maybe evidenced by i noticed your other thread about having some Windows problems now as well)

Couple comments:
> System Restore points can help but they are NOT replacement for system backups. (System restore points only backup a limited number of things and are never guaranteed to get you out of a jam)

> You should be doing disk image backups to an external disk
There are some good freeware tools (like EASUS Todo Backup) but they only dull FULL image backups. Also, don't think the free ones usually come with Rescue CDs to boot from if system won't start

IMO is well worth investing in a tool that can create INCREMENTAL disk image backups (INCREMENTALs run quicker) and is good to get into good backup habits in any case :)

Acronis True Image is about $50USD. There are also some free versions (provided by some vendors) [post=926881]Download free Acronis True Image for Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor hard drives[/post]

i do have acronis..., but ive never really used it. It runs at boot up and i heard it's great but is there any way i can use it like system restore(all new files are still there), becuase i cant backup now it's too timely.

bigwat

you should continue get help for your problem in your other thread to avoid confusion since the two have merged to the same problem topic

but use backup religiously in the future if you want to try and experiment with system tweaks :)

Back