Upgrading AMD 939 socket processor

Krystianb

I currently am running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2Ghz , 939 Pin processor, I have been Looking around for a good proccessor but i need some help on price and the best choice for me, Dual core would be good, if anybody could name the best processor for me to buy, Medium priced ones i dont want to spend alot, i just want to imrpove my system could someone also tell me what diffrences the proccesor would make to good one that would be worth to buy.

I was Looking at 'AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 2.0GHz 1MB socket 939 Dual Core' And im wondering if it would imrpove my computer alot? as its a Dual core, and a 1Mb.
My 3200+ Single is

L1 Data Cache Size 64 KBytes
L1 Instructions Cache Size 64 KBytes
L2 Unified Cache Size 512 KBytes

it would help but the 939 socket is dead so how much of a difference really comes down to if you think the money is worth the upgrade IMO save your money and get a much nicer system for not much more you can pick up an AM3 MB and 4Gb DDR3 and a tri core cpu for less than or around $200 usd.

Yea, For now i just wanna upgrade this, i cba to buy a new motherbord, Ram, Cpu, it would take time and i aint got 200$ to spent for now, i just wanted a CPu for around 40$ or so, So my question is if i got a, 2.4Ghz Dual core 1 - 2Mb Cache would it improve alot? or slightly, so i can see if its worth the money, maybe in the future i will buy a whole new system etc..

Caution!

Check your MOBO handbook to make sure that it can handle a dual core processor such as the one you mentioned.

I think it is sage advice not to waste your hard earned cash if you can be patient; instead save it up and then splash on a new system spec. Equally don't go spending money on a CPU that is not compatible as these things can turn into money pits very quickly!

Best of luck with your upgrade!

I've recently upgraded to 2Gb ram so thats enough i guess, could someone tell me how to check that MOBO handbook ? Sorry im quite noob.

You should save your money. It would cost too much to buy a 939 CPU at this point. Aside from ram and a graphics card you really don't have any options for an upgrade. $200 will get you something very nice if you aren't interested in games.

Problem is i dont really need massive upgrade for now, In a years time or so it will be all cheapear then i want to buy a new whole system i dont need now because eveyrthing working fine when my pc gets very outdated etc then i will improve, i found this Opteron 185 2.6Ghz Dual 1mb Cache 939 Socket. It would work on my computer? or how can i check, i think i can get it for pretty cheap

Look inside your PC. Find the Motherboard Make and model. Google it and check the spec for which type of Skt 939 CPU it can take.

I had an ASUS motherboard that was Skt 939 but it could not take the Athlon x2 CPUs. This is why i say check before you buy something you cannot use.

Good luck.

Msi - Amethyst-M is the Motherbord's Make + Model i will look but if i cannot would somebody be able to help ?

This Yours?

Ok,
I googled and found this based on your description. It looks like it can take the athlon x2 up to 4800 so you may be in luck!

MSI MS-7184 Amethystm-GL6E AMD SOCKET 939 DDR Oem Motherboard

Motherboard description
Motherboard manufacturer's name: MSI MS-7184
CPU/Processor
Socket: 939
Supports AMD Athlon 64 X2 (up to 4800+) and Sempron (up to 3200+) processors
System bus
2000 MegaTransfers/second or 1600 MegaTransfers/second depending on the processor
Chipset
Northbridge: ATI RS482
Southbridge: ATI SB400
BIOS features
The mainboard BIOS provides “Plug & Play” BIOS which detects the peripheral devices and expansion cards of the board automatically
The mainboard provides a Desktop Management Interface (DMI) function which records your mainboard specifications
Supports boot from LAN, USB Device 1.1 & 2.0, and SATA HDD
Form factor
Micro-ATX: 24.4cm X 24.4cm
Memory
Four 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets
Supports dual channel, eight memory banks DDR 333/400 DDR DIMMs
Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMMs

I hope this helps. Let us all know how you get on with your decisions :approve:

If you are going to do this I recommend updating the BIOS before upgrading the CPU. That way if you needed a newer BIOS to run the CPU you won't have to swap back when your new one doesn't work initially.

If you are going to do this I recommend updating the BIOS before upgrading the CPU. That way if you needed a newer BIOS to run the CPU you won't have to swap back when your new one doesn't work initially.

How can i Update my BIOS sorry im not good with proccessor ;

I will popably get the 4200+ x2

I will take a Screenshot of my Motherbord details on 'Speccy' it Shows BIOS too.

Here, http://www.uploadscreenshot.com/image/254702/8453416 My Motherbord Specs

This is my Bios Info
Phoenix - Award Bios v6.00PG, How can i know if this will support the Amd athlon x2 4200?

Back