Windows Installation questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchiseen

Okay guys, so i've got my 2 crap 80 gig hd's and im getting a brand new maxtor 300 gig 16mb cache SATA hd, and i want my computer to perform at its best, but i dont really wanna screw with the windows installation that i have now, cause it works. Also, i have things like Office 2003 that are activated and are going to be hard to, uh, reinstall and reactivate. Office2003 especially. if i had my choice i'd be using thunderbird, but i've got a PDA which needs outlook to sync mail and such, and i use it alot.
so my question is, is there a way to move office 2003 to a new installation on windows xp(sp2 integrated) ???

another question
should i just move to mandrake? ive never ran linux before and really, i dont know crap about it, but i can learn. is it worth it?

any input/alternate suggestions would be smashing!

cheers

thank you VERY much. i got my harddrive but it didnt come with an installation cd. unfortuneately you told me this about 12 hours too late, but its alright, the only things i installed were games anywho, and ill just reinstall them.

edit-
im having trouble with this tool. my old boot drive was C: and the new drive i want the windows installation on is E:
i ran maxblast, it copied all the files, looked like it worked. it gave me some instructions file that told me to move my primary master ( C: ) to primary slave, and such so i ignored that crap. my old hd's C: and D: are IDE and E: is sata.
in any case, i went to boot the new install and it gave me a windows stop error 7b, the ol blue screeny death. 7b is unmountable boot volume, so i put in my windows CD,bootd from it and did a repair on the windows install on E:, but now it doesnt boot. what's going on. did i miss somthing? jumper settings on C: ? idk. i cant get to the OS select menu if i still have the C and D: plugged in. what's going on? if c and d are in, it goes to a black screen. if just c or d are in, i can get them to boot, if d is in i have to hit f8, if i dont it says 'there was a drive read error hit crtl alt del to reboot' . each one i change the bios to think that the sata is #1 hd. this doesnt help for d drive. in any case, NOW it's getting hung up before i can eneter bios if both are plugged in. it gets stuck on 'checking NVram' what is going on? not enough power?

edit 2-
i didnt hit f6 to install anything when repairing windows, is this my problem? i thought i didnt have to cause the sata on my asus p4p800s-x is on board and not a raid controller. am i just stupid? i have never installed a sata drive before. it didnt come with a cd. if i need sata drivers to put into the f6 thing, where do i get them and how do i make it onto a cd.

it was workign fine before. plugged it in, formatted it and installed windows xp sp2 integrated, worked great. could see the other ide drives, installed games, etc. just when i tried to do this its stuffed :(

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back