Installing New Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChineseTechie

Hi All, I need your help. I am trying to upgrade my video card on the computer that's given to me. The video card that's currently being used is a SiS 300/305. I just bought a ATI Radeon 9800SE AGP 256MB Video Card(VC). I installed the drivers with the CD that's provided with the VC. I turned off the computer, removed the old VC, and insert the new one. I turned the computer back on and what I got is a blank screen, monitor is on, and 3 beeps from the computer. I have done some research and it may have something to do with the motherboard doesn't have the necessary AGP driver to recognize the VC. I tried finding the model for the motherboard but I was not successful. However, I found the following information.

AMIBIOS - bios string 62-0121-001131-00101111-040201-VIA_P6-M920LR-
Flash ROM - EON EN29F002NT
System Hardware Monitor - ITE8705F

The closest thing I find is a ECS K7S6A but it's not because I am running on P4, not AMD, and slots are a little different with the one I have.

I am a little stuck, please help!!

Thanks!!
ChineseTechie

Sounds as if your agp slot wont support a card as fast as that. If u refit the old card then go into the bios and look around for agp speed setting, that will tell u the maximum u can use. It should say something lik x1, or x2 - x4 , or x4 - x8. If it wont go to x8 then its the wrong card for the mobo.

AGP Speed

I have checked the bios and the max is 4x. However, it saids on the box that this video card is 4x compatible. Here is what i found on ATI web-site.

# Radeon® 9800 Series of products requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for operation. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power supply. Otherwise, ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
# Intel® Pentium® 4, AMD® Athlon® or higher with AGP 8X (0.8v), 4X (1.5V) or Universal AGP 3.0 bus configuration (8X/4X)
# 128MB of system memory

Does the card only support AGP 8x??

Tere are basically 2 types of agp slot in a mobo (unless its really old) and they are x2 - x4, and x4 - x8. The main difference between them is the supply voltage, its jigher on the older x2 -x4.
I had exactly the same problem with my old Msi 745 ultra mobo. Although the card says it supports x4 it doesnt really, it mens it supports the x4 - x8 system but not the x2 - x4. I had to take the card back and get an older x4 only one instead.

Oh Man....

Alright..... I guess I have to bring it back and get an older one. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

:D :knock:
ChineseTechie

Thats ok, glad to have been of service. Btw, id highly recomend the ati 7000 series 64meg card, its the one i got and it went well.

I have fixed the problem. I brought the whole system to the place I got the video card from. They tried using a higher watt power supply, tried plugging in a 9600 and still wouldn't work. So finally we tried a GeForce 4 4800 4x AGP 128 MB video card and now it works fine. So the 9800 is too powerful for the mobo.

cT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back