Help for Wireless Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i am new here & need some help regarding wireless network.

I have a PC which is connected to a wireless router through CAT5e cable. I need to connect my laptop wireless to the router but i somehow cannot do tat. I used to be able to connect until recently i got virus & need to re-format my laptop. I have lost all informations inside the laptop.

Can anyone enlighten me? Greatly appreciated!

Hi

To connect to a wireless network...

First enter the routers config page, this is usually done via a webpage by entering the routers address into the address bar, If you have one PC connected to the router wirelessly then the address of the router is the PC's default gateway.

To find the default gateway, click Start > Run > cmd > enter >ipconfig >enter.

Once you have entered the routers setup find the section for "wireless", you need to find 2 things

1) the SSID of the router , this is the name of the wireless network that is shown when a search of available networks is done,

2) the security settings, this can be WEP or WPA and was decided when the router was setup, if no security is activated or turned on then this is not needed, however a wireless network with no security is like a car with the keys left in the ignition in the middle of a bad neighborhood.

Now on the laptop run the software associated with the network card and find where it asks for the SSID and the security and enter it,

It should now connect.

This is going on the assumption that your wireless network card is installed and functioning, if that isnt the case then please post back and let us know.

Regards

hey thank you so much for the help.. apparently, my laptop jus re-format & i have lost the WEP.. sob.. how can i rectify then?

Log into your router and change the settings to a different passkey. Then use that on your laptop

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back