Black-out and random restarts are killing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyxoz

Hello everyone and thank you for the support you've given me in the past.
I've explained my black-out problem long ago, and I've done a good hardware switch to try and solve the problem, but unfortunately it's not over yet.

Before I switched any hardware I had this setup:
Motherboard, that I don't know the manufacturer of
Pentium 4 Northwood 3,2GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
2x 512 Kingston Valueram PC3200
7200rpm Seagate 120gb
400W Matrox PSU
Zalman 7000B-LED CPU-cooler

And every now and then I experienced a black-out. It could happen daily or a couple of times a week. In any program or game that would load my graphics card heavily, it went black irregularly. The sound stopped playing as well, but the lights in num lock were still on. The only thing I could do was to power off my computer and turn it on again.

Then I switched a lot of hardware, a few parts at once, and I now have this setup:
AsRock 775Dual-VSTA
Core 2 Duo E6300 1,86GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb
2x 512 Kingston Valueram PC3200
7200rpm Western Digital 80gb
500W Antec Smartpower 2.0
Zalman CNPS9500 CPU-cooler

And I had a little hope, that my computer would be fixed. But lately, I faced the exact same problem. Well, actually not the exact same. On this setup it just restarts instead. After the restart I checked the event viewer and fell over this:
minidumpkh0.png

It's in danish, but I'll try to translate it for you:

The computer was restarted after a bug check. The bug check was: 0x100000d1 (0x0004404, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf6909e33). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini122406-02.dmp.

For further information check Help and Support at:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

After I saw that I read a bit about it, but couldn't find the exact same error message at Microsoft, so I tried disabling "Restart automatically on system errors" in advanced system options.
Now, after disabling that, when my computer would normally have restarted, the screen just went blue and I could see white lines all around the blue screen. And nothing else would happen, just like when my computer went black before. I can take a picture of it next time it happens, if it's necessary.

Now for the final conclusion.. What is really wrong? The only hardware I haven't switched yet is my RAM and my graphics card, but I can't afford to switch both of them after all of this. So I'll need to know if it's the RAM, the graphics card or something with the software? I've always used the newest graphics drivers by the way, so they're not the problem here.
I've run Memtest86+ for 5 hours and 40 minutes to be exact, and it didn't find one single error.

Thanks in advance.. I hope I gave you enough details to find the answer.

It could be a power supply. Cuz when you get into graphics-intensive games, it loads the power supply as well as the graphics card. RAM seems unlikely, but power supply or maybe graphics card seems the culprit.
Cheers

kitty500cat said:
It could be a power supply. Cuz when you get into graphics-intensive games, it loads the power supply as well as the graphics card. RAM seems unlikely, but power supply or maybe graphics card seems the culprit.
Cheers

All right. But my power supply is definitely strong enough to handle it, so I don't think that's the problem. I guess it's the GFX then.
Anyone else's point of view?

Well, you have done a pretty good job of troubleshooting! lol. You have replace just about EVERYTHING! :)

Assuming that whatever was causing your problem in the old system is also the same thing causing the problems in your new, the ONLY possibility is your graphics card (since memtest came up with no errors).

Do you have another graphics card you can use as a test? Borrow one from a friend, or whatever you have to do. This would really help a lot to get to the bottom of your problems.

Also, you may want some help from someone who can read minidumps. Read this thread here and follow the instructions:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html

DonNagual said:
Well, you have done a pretty good job of troubleshooting! lol. You have replace just about EVERYTHING! :)

Assuming that whatever was causing your problem in the old system is also the same thing causing the problems in your new, the ONLY possibility is your graphics card (since memtest came up with no errors).

Do you have another graphics card you can use as a test? Borrow one from a friend, or whatever you have to do. This would really help a lot to get to the bottom of your problems.

Also, you may want some help from someone who can read minidumps. Read this thread here and follow the instructions:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51365.html

All right thanks a lot both of you. I guess I'll just order a Geforce 7600GT then - owns my current one :)
But for safety I'll ask that guy about my minidumps.

All right. This is my screen when my computer crashes, attached.
Another time my screen just went blue without any white lines on it.

Does this still look like the GFX?

Attachments

• DSC001501.JPG
    DSC001501.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
Well, since you have swapped out EVERY other piece but the graphics card and the ram, plus the fact that memtest comes up clean, plus that screenshot, it looks like your graphics card is toast. The only way to be sure would be to try another card in your system or to test your graphics card in another system. If there is any way you can do either of those before buying a new card, that would be best.

If not, go ahead and buy it, and let's hope you have a working system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back