HP DVD WRITER 740B will not burn audio cds!!! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could really use some help. my computer's E:\drive will not detect audio cds. The few times in the past week when it has, it will stop in the middle of the process and ask me to check the disc. I have tried different brands of blank audio cds. Memorex, Sony, Maxwell. I have tried lowering the burning speed as low as 4x. But now it won't even detect the cd as a blank. The cd just spins inside of the drive and stops. No options to burn, and when i try, it says, please enter a blank cd. I have unistalled and reinstalled the drivers over and over. It is able to immediately pick up a prerecorded cd and play it with no issues. And it is able to burn dvds!!!! So why is it not detecting my blanks. I have cleaned the drive with a laser lens clearner. I have ran my spyware and anti-virus programs. I tried cleaning the registry and freeing up space on the pc. I don't know what else to do. Someone please help. The drive can't be bad if it is able to burn dvds and detect cds and play then. But when it comes to blanks. out of luck. anyone have a possible solution?

hello and welcome to techspot.

Possible solutions:

1. Hardware Condition
If it's more than one year, it's common to see a problem like this, otherwise warranty is one of the solution.
Or, somebody has quietly tampered your drive (who knows?)

2. CD Compatibility and Quality
Have you try hp branded CD instead of the others? for simple example, my notebook could not burn all imation's disc and my friend's one could not do TDK's. Golden coloured CD has a higher quality claimed, have you try it?

3. Wrong installation
Few time ago when i install my LG DVD-RAM DL LS, I did a little mistake, which is putting the LG's disc inside while windows new hardware installation still working (restart is required to complete installation). This lil mistake lead to spoilt drive and i need to do a REINSTALLATION of the hardware.
Not only that, when i upgraded my P4 to C2D, the IDE cables of the drives are inverted. This result in various error and slowliness.

4. Virus Intruders Spyware Trojan Adware (vista)
Although you've scan your machine thoroughly, but who knows if a fresh installation of windows solve this?
If you have another unused computer, maybe you could try this one. As if the windows drivers is infected, this is the result.

5. Bugs
If various method you've found in internet could not solve your problem, maybe you might think about renewing your firmware.

hope you understand and it works

Good luck;)

tweakboy said:
How about DVDs ?

Most probably drive is dying and can't recognize cdrws,,

He has write above that he could burn DVDs, that's y im sort of sure that his drive is not spoilt. But maybe wrong installation or some other distraction made him can't burn cd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back