Services.exe causing shutdown (error code 203,204,etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

For the last day or so, my computer has been shutting down about 10-15 minutes into my Windows sessions, citing services.exe error code 203, 204 or another code (never got it down). I have followed several clean up steps including:

1) Trend Micro "Housecall"
2) CCleaner
3) SmitFraudFix v2.137
4) VirtumundoBegone
5) Vundofix
6) Look2me-destroyer
7) AVG Antispyware
6) Ad-aware

Below, please find my Hijackthis file: Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

-Ben

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log appears to be clean.

Download and run the Microsoft Malicious removal tool. If that fails to find anything, then I think your problem is Windows related, rather that virus related.

Let us know the results please.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of benweiss only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard,

I tried the MS Tool. It did not find anything. How should I handle the issue if its Windows related and not virus related (The computer worked flawlessly for months prior to the incident)...

-Ben

It could be that one of your Windows system files has become damaged/corrupt.

Try this first.

Click start/run and type sfc /scannow into the run box and press the enter key. You will need to have your Windows cd handy. Windows will check for any damaged/corrupt files and replace them as necessary.

Let us know the results please.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of benweiss only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Your suggestion worked. While the software did not tell me that any files were corrupt, its pretty clear that files were being referenced from my XP CD for some time (kept coming up with a pop up to insert the disk).

After I did this, the system appeared fine, until last evening, when I got the same problem again. I reran the sfc command and again the system is stable, but i am not sure for how long.

Any ideas on prevention at this point?

Additionally, as a bi-product, my dual monitor setup is no longer working (i have a XFX 6800 XT card (512mb) with 2 DVI slots connected to a Dell 2007WFP and an older 15" NEC LCD; Currently only the NEC works in the 2nd DVI port - when i switch the cords, the Dell doesn't work in that port and NEC doesn't work in the top port). Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

-Ben

You will probably need to run windows updates, as the sfc /scannow command will have replaced damaged files with files that may be older than the ones you had on your system.

I`m not sure what`s causing your dual monitor problems, you may need to reinstall your graphics drivers and set up your dual monitors again. If that doesn`t help, I suggest you open a new thread in our Audio and Video forum.

See how your system runs and if the same problem appears again, please post back.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back