Windows Media player Lagging :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stejosh

My windows Media player lags:( and i cant figure out why.

ive tryed uninstalling it then installing it again, Going to an older version (version 10) and im still having the same problems:|

i dont wanna use any other programs it would mean teaching the GF how to use it:( lol

Any ideas?

Ste

We need a description of your system, brand and model, memory installed, operating system, video graphics card, and software or programs you expect to run on Media Player 11

raybay said:
We need a description of your system, brand and model, memory installed, operating system, video graphics card, and software or programs you expect to run on Media Player 11

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

CPU Cooler: Standard CPU heatsink & fan

Motherboard: Asrock Conroe1333-D667

Memory: 2.0GB Kingston DDR2 667mhz (2x 1GB)

Hard Drive: 400GB S-ATA2 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: 18x Double-Layer DVD+/-RW

Graphics card: NVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB

Sound card: Creative Audigy Soundblaster SE 7.1

Monitor: 19'' Widescreen TFT Monitor

PSU: 550W PSU

Case: Colors-IT 8050
win XP

that enuff info for u?

it just seems to lag with music both one track at a time and with play lists. ive tryed different file formats that seems to be the same.

Doesnt always lag sometimes its ok for like 15 mins or so :\

ive no viruses or anything as far as my programs can detect

im using McAfee as my AV and im also using ad-aware and spybot search and destroy

hope thats enuff for u to help :p

cheers

Ste

Windows Media Player tends to lag for me a bit as well - I found that WMP 10 was little better than WMP 11 in terms of speeding up usage. If you don't need the newer advanced features, you could download a really old version, like 5-9, if they're still hosted anywhere on the Net. (Try a quick search for the version of your choice, but make sure it's a safe site and not spamware, adware or viruses in disgusie). That way, once you have that version, if you can put up with reduced compatibility, you should be able to find a basic interface fast, effecient and more useable.

If you want to stick with WMP 10 (which IMO is the best, despite it's lagging) try deleting unused files from your library to declutter and speed up loading times, or if possible try disabling the "store" option (i.e. Napster) so it doesn't have to access the Internet, which always takes more time. Further tweaking may help.

If you stick with WMP 10 also make sure that you keep the WMP 11 runtime, which makes the program more compatible. It shows up as a seperate item in the Add/Remove Programs list, and you'll be prompted to keep it when uninstalling WMP 11. Don't remove that unless it's causing problems with even older versions (it might - I'm not sure).

Making a few playlists will always help, so that it's easier to access the exact music you want. To help in making a functional playlist, make sure all the files it contains are in organized folders on your PC. Moving them afterwards may completely screw up their playback in the playlist afterwards, so once you start making the playlist, all files should be in the right location beforehand.

Furthermore, if you're viewing or listening to files from the Net, you'll always have to buffer the tracks and wait on the Internet. Instead, if possible, download those files onto your PC and play them from there instead. This speeds things up a lot, but takes up considerable hard drive space.

What were you doing exactly when it was lagging the most? If you let me know then I might have more ideas, so I can pinpoint the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back