New card gives me problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

themask446

Hi I've recently bought Power Color Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB.
So I downloaded the latest ATI driver only to find out that I dont have a proper hardware for the driver (it gives me this error when i try to install the drivers) so i tryied installing from the cd that i got with the card and it installed flawlessly but still there were glitches like some random green flashes when try playing crysis,the words from the menu look like the are cut to pieces (it wont even load the first level,it just turns black i freezes and i need to reboot the system)..All my videos are green,litteraly..I can hear the sound but the image is green,I tryied launching The Witcher but the menu is all blurry so I cant even read a thing..And sometimes when i use google the thing you were looking for is highlited in blue right?Mine is red,and so is the Windows "welcome" screen gets sometimes reddish like...
Now I googled all the internet for answers and got none exept for this interesting thing: Someone said that the drivers that you download from their web site is no supported by the HD series (go figure) so the only ones that work are from the cd..BTW i tryied installing 7.12,7.11,7.10 driver but all of them say that i dont have the right hardware for that..another thing that i found is if you decrease the hardware acceleration i should fix the problem..it did for the video (fixed the green screen) but the video is sometimes slow..and why would i want to decrease the hardware acceleration?I mean it was on full all the time before the new video card..

Anyways you guys have any ideas?

My specs are : Windows XP SP 2
Amd Athlon 2500 1.8 ghz
1.5 GB RAM
and my lovely video card HD 2600 PRO 512 MB.

Your motherboard is required too

Here's system specs which may help https://www.techspot.com/downloads/3100-system-spec.html

It could be an incompatable card to your M/B

Innitially though it sounds like a faulty video card (hardware wise)

I don't want to comment further on your M/b with that video card though (someone else will) as I always seem to make mistakes in checking these things - it's very strange !

Anyway pls post all your computer specs, you can also update your user info here https://www.techspot.com/vb/usercp.php (further down the usercp page)

I knew I forgot something (mother board ) :)

Anyways heres the list
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1536 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
CPU Speed: 1817.1 MHz
Sound card: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
Display Adapters: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series | ATI Radeon HD 2600 Series | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Terayon Cable Modem (NDIS 5) - Packet Scheduler Miniport | WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
CD / DVD Drives: E: ASUS DRW-1608P3S
COM Ports: COM2 | COM1
LPT Ports:
Mouse: 5 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 59.9GB | D: 14.6GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 13.3GB | D: 10.4GB
USB Controllers: 3 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: System product name
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 08/15/03 | A M I - 8000315
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X-VM
Modem: Not detected

I took it back to store (the whole case) and left it there for check up, they said it was the power supply,mine is 320 wats and I need at least 400.
They were right.
I got 480 wats and it works like magic.
Now I can finally enjoy Crysis :)
Thanks for your help kimsland! :)

320 Watts; 480 Watts
Wish I had got to asking you about your PSU (it would have saved you a bit)
In the end I would have said 550 Watts, that way you will not have any issues. I'm prently 650Watts, I've seen too many go, so I decided to go higher than normal!

Yes that would have done it.

kimsland said:
320 Watts; 480 Watts
Wish I had got to asking you about your PSU (it would have saved you a bit)
In the end I would have said 550 Watts, that way you will not have any issues. I'm prently 650Watts, I've seen too many go, so I decided to go higher than normal!

Yes that would have done it.

I agree entirely!

It must have been a cheap PSU 320w then. I've been running demanding system on 350W PSU & have never had worries. My last configuration which was a 3800+ Athlon64 X2 with 2GB of Ram & a nVidia 6800GT (which consumes a bit more than the 2600 Pro) ran fine on a 350W PSU for more than a year but it was an Antec PSU, not a cheap noname one.

No I haven't modded the VGA card, not sure if it's worth doing it as I'm about to upgrade to a 8800GT anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back