Leaked Nvidia RTX 3090 benchmark score shows performance up to 26% faster than RTX 2080 Ti

mongeese

Staff
Highly anticipated: A next-gen Nvidia flagship has been spotted in the 3DMark benchmark database. It’s the first time we’ve seen a GPU in a performance bracket like this – if you discount the below photo that leaked a couple weeks back – with a performance output in 3DMark that appears to be up to 26% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti.

Let’s plunge into the numbers. The GPU achieved a score of 18,257 in the graphics component of 3DMark’s Time Spy benchmark. That score could be considered proof enough that this is a new GPU. A Titan RTX can’t generally get that high without exotic cooling like liquid nitrogen.

Relative to the average scores that 3DMark provides, it’s 21% faster than the Titan RTX and 26% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti. Thumbs up, Nvidia.

You should note, this ain’t no run-of-the-mill GPU – this is an alien from the exotic GA102 species. That’ll be the flagship die that a different set of GPUs could use: the next Titan, a stack of Quadro cards, and some gaming graphics cards potentially called the GeForce RTX 3080 and RTX 3090.

A few leakers are confident that the GA102 will have up to 5,376 cores, but there’s no verdict on the precise core configurations of specific models, although strangely, everyone agrees on the memory capacities as specified in the tweet below...

It’s been assumed that this next-gen GPU is the flagship RTX 3090 because of how well it performs, but it could also be the RTX 3080. That will all depend on how Nvidia decides to position and market the GPUs ahead of release.

Other things to note: 3DMark recorded a 1935 MHz clock speed during the benchmark, a 25% increase over the RTX 2080 Ti’s 1545 MHz. In other words, the upcoming GPU doesn’t necessarily need a higher core count than the RTX 2080 Ti to reach that performance bracket. However, it is expected that Nvidia will release at least one card that does have a higher core count, most likely by the end of the year.

Dark times await AMD Radeon fans, unless big Navi delivers, of course.

Permalink to story.

26% faster on what is likely to be a $1000 graphics card isn't "putting it to shame"

If you look at ray tracing performance, a 26% increase means we'll have to wait for the 4000 series for "real time ray tracing" to actually be a practical thing

And "dark times await Radeon fans", what was that? I didn't know I was reading a BuzzFeed article

RTX 3090 is the replacement for RTX 2080 Titan. And if it is only 26% faster than RTX 2080 Ti, it puts itself to shame, and not the other way round.

This would mean the 3000 series will bring only about 20% of real performance improvement, which after all the hype isn't impressive at all.

RTX 3090 is the replacement for RTX 2080 Titan. And if it is only 26% faster than RTX 2080 Ti, it puts itself to shame, and not the other way round.

This would mean the 3000 series will bring only about 20% of real performance improvement, which after all the hype isn't impressive at all.

I won't be so sure about that. The improvements may very well be in the Ray Tracing department and the benchmark won't be swayed too much by that but in real gaming turning on ray tracing can be a showstopper, quite literally.

So delivering a smooth experience with RT will be the next big step as finally the devs will start properly implementing it.

By next next gen, ie 4xxx Ray tracing will hopefully become like SSAO, resource intensive but reasonable tradeoff considering results.

We don't really know for sure if this is the top SKU yet so hard to tell what these numbers refer to but given the complexity of the cooler design & lack of competition, I'm fairly confident that the top SKU will be around $1300.

Even if this information turns out not being the top SKU, Nvidia could easily price this one above the RTX 2080 Ti MSRP so over $1200... at least until AMD's Big Navi launch.

I'll keep my 1080ti for a while longer until something is released. Even then I'll wait for the reviewers to get a hold it them. EVEN then, I'll wait for the new cards to come back into stock, since all the early adopters will have taken all the cards. AND EVEN THEN... I'll have to ask the wife if I can justify spending that kind of money on a single component. And if your married, you already know the answer to that question! LOL

I honestly doubt this is the top card. Even if it is, I also seriously doubt that card will be called a 3090 (rather than a 3080Ti)

Nvidia likes to release the 3080 (series) first. Something better than last gen's Ti but not their best. Then 3-6 months later, they will release the 3080Ti. A card I doubt is even ready enough to be spotted in the wild yet.

I say this is the 3080. Non Ti. (or, I'm a bit underwhelmed)

I'll keep my 1080ti for a while longer until something is released. Even then I'll wait for the reviewers to get a hold it them. EVEN then, I'll wait for the new cards to come back into stock, since all the early adopters will have taken all the cards. AND EVEN THEN... I'll have to ask the wife if I can justify spending that kind of money on a single component. And if your married, you already know the answer to that question! LOL

Lol!! :-D

26% faster on what is likely to be a $1000 graphics card isn't "putting it to shame"

If you look at ray tracing performance, a 26% increase means we'll have to wait for the 4000 series for "real time ray tracing" to actually be a practical thing

And "dark times await Radeon fans", what was that? I didn't know I was reading a BuzzFeed article

I think the author is confused, the 3080 leaks are showing improvements like this relative to 2080Ti. This is not 3090 performance at all, AMD would be laughing if this was 3090 benchmark.

Yeah mine nearly had a fit when I spent $280 on an RX5700, can't imagine what she'd say to a $1000+ video card, except maybe NO!

"You should note, this ain’t no run-of-the-mill GPU – this is an alien from the exotic GA102 species."

"Dark times await AMD Radeon fans, unless big Navi delivers, of course."

As they say here in the regular version of TS: What just happened??

Did this website get hijacked by nVidia??

Or maybe the author is an undercover nVidia fan boy? This is so undignified, it's pathetic for a tech site to post such ludicrous drivel!

Back