RTX 3090 Ti spotted on overseas retail sites, priced between $3,800 and $5,500

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! There's never been any doubt that the RTX 3090 Ti will cost an astronomical amount of money when it arrives, though who knows when that might be. But we may now have an idea of what sort of price points to expect: between $3,800 to over $5,500 for some third-party cards, based on overseas retail site listings.

The cheaper of the two RTX 3090 Ti cards is the catchily-titled Galax GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB EX Gamer Black Edition, which was spotted by Moore’s Law is Dead on a leaked preorder advert from Vietnamese retailer Minh An Computer. It’s listed for 86.9 million VND, the equivalent of around $3,848. A quick search on Newegg shows that for about the same price, you could buy this HP Omen pre-built system with a Ryzen 9 5900X and an RTX 3090.

If that wasn’t eye-wateringly expensive enough, prolific leaker momomo_us spotted a listing for an MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Ti Suprim X 24G on Rakuten Japan. It’s priced at 633,773 yen, or around $5,518, including tax.

The same MSI card, which reportedly has a 480W TDP and requires a minimum 1,000W power supply, appeared on a Swiss retail site last month for the equivalent of $4,022. While PC hardware is generally more expensive outside of the US, it’s still easy to imagine the RTX 3090 Ti arriving at a comically high price.

It was during CES in early January that Nvidia gave us our first official look at the RTX 3090 Ti and some specs (above). The company promised to reveal more information later in the month, but January passed without any further announcements.

It’s rumored that one of the main reasons behind Nvidia’s silence could be the reported problems found in the RTX 3090 Ti’s hardware, likely to be the PCB, and the GPU’s BIOS, which would affect production given how late they’ve been discovered. Moore’s Law believes the card has been delayed “indefinitely,” meaning Nvidia still has no firm release date—a claim that’s looking increasingly likely.

Permalink to story.

I am now thinking that Nvidia not officially announcing the card release yet is part of a new strategy: They no longer seek to sell it as just a consumer electronic product. They are thinking to sell them pretty much as you would do so for high end fashion or expensive jewelry items: Have you ever seen a Louis Vuitton add that ends with "Available now starting at 4999 USD MSRP!"?

No because that's not how you sell high end luxury items at all. You just put a bunch of pretentious adds out that say little to nothing about the product and just show off a lavish lifestyle and then put it on stores that live on the most expensive real estate locations available in the world: Downtown Manhattan, Paris, London, etc.

Nvidia might be looking to release the 3090ti doing the tech equivalent of a high fashion item release: Just have some really prominent tech influencers suddenly flex about their rigs with a 3090ti on them. That's it: you don't tell people where to buy them, you don't even talk about their raw performance numbers or comparisons you just put it on a prominent tech influencer and casually show him playing 8k on a wall-sized OLED display from Samsung that costs at least 6 figures on it's own.

You want it? You go find it. If you have to ask about performance or MSRP then this isn't for you and you can't afford it peasant.

Really cheap actually, I expected the card to cost around $10k.

This is a card that's aimed exclusively to Miners, so money is not an issue.

No because that's not how you sell high end luxury items at all. You just put a bunch of pretentious adds out that say little to nothing about the product and just show off a lavish lifestyle and then put it on stores that live on the most expensive real estate locations available in the world: Downtown Manhattan, Paris, London, etc.

You just described any Apple commercial from the last 15 years.

You just described any Apple commercial from the last 15 years.
Pretty much yeah. And the thing is: Apple actually makes some reasonably budget products too. For example when it comes to tablets, the regular ipad is one of the best tablets you can buy at that price range of 300 USD or so. They just almost never make it a point to talk much about it if at all, they just sell you the pro and the air at the most and let people who recognize their brand just start filtering down to those lower end products.

So I don't think it's too far fetched to expect to see an Nvidia store next to the Apple store and those fashion stores targeting the same affluent buyers that want luxury items and not the unwashed nerds camping out outside Microcenter waiting for a chance to buy a 3060.

I got extremely lucky to get both my 3090 during the Cyberpunk release week.
I doubt I'll upgrade unless I spotted the card in Microcenter for MSRP. I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

The sticker shock is irrelevant. Youtubbers and Social Media influencers will want one so they can make videos and will justify buying one.

Anyone who has a current 3090 is probably future proof through the next generation of cards.

" A quick search on Newegg shows that for about the same price, you could buy this HP Omen pre-built system with a Ryzen 9 5900X and an RTX 3090 ."

Never heard of a prebuilt PC with 2 top GPUs from different manufacturers

Ryzen 9 5900X OR a RTX 3090- - yeah not sure on the "an" as well :)

" A quick search on Newegg shows that for about the same price, you could buy this HP Omen pre-built system with a Ryzen 9 5900X and an RTX 3090 ."

Never heard of a prebuilt PC with 2 top GPUs from different manufacturers

Ryzen 9 5900X OR a RTX 3090- - yeah not sure on the "an" as well :)
But... the Ryzen 9 5900X is a CPU, the RTX 3090 being the GPU... You're mistaking the CPU for the AMD Radeon 6900XT.

I am now thinking that Nvidia not officially announcing the card release yet is part of a new strategy: They no longer seek to sell it as just a consumer electronic product. They are thinking to sell them pretty much as you would do so for high end fashion or expensive jewelry items: Have you ever seen a Louis Vuitton add that ends with "Available now starting at 4999 USD MSRP!"?

Nvidia might be looking to release the 3090ti doing the tech equivalent of a high fashion item release: Just have some really prominent tech influencers suddenly flex about their rigs with a 3090ti on them. That's it: you don't tell people where to buy them, you don't even talk about their raw performance numbers or comparisons you just put it on a prominent tech influencer and casually show him playing 8k on a wall-sized OLED display from Samsung that costs at least 6 figures on it's own.

You want it? You go find it. If you have to ask about performance or MSRP then this isn't for you and you can't afford it peasant.

It's almost at that point where they will be the "EBAY". Highest bidder basically wins.

My take is that Nvidia was looking to target miners with the RTX 3090 Ti. Thus, they increased the memory speed, and also looking to sell it at a marked up price. Basically a price that 99% of gamers will not be willing to pay unless you have a lot of money to burn. Now that mining has tapered down, they don't see the need to release it because the odds of selling one is anyway going to be very low. This is especially so when we are expecting AMD and Nvidia to announce their next gen GPUs this year. Even if it is in Q4, I don't see the point of splurging on a GPU only to lose half its value in less than a year.

The agenda was always to kill the diy market. Prebuilts have seen markups for sure, but not massive and their availability has been pretty consistent.

Nvidia have the right to charge whatever they like for what will be the highest performing graphics card in the world. It sucks but this is what happens when demand exceeds supply on a luxury item.

Man, this place surely loves to hype nvidia.

Like seriously, the same article for the same gpu that its clearly not worth its value even at msrp repeated over and over on a daily basis....

For reference
Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 4291444 - SKU 3654953
$3,961.00

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16-Core) 4.9 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (AMD X570) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz HyperX Fury RGB
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB (Liquid Cool) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard

also
VENGEANCE i7300 Gaming PC, i9-12900K, RTX 3090, 2TB M.2, 64GB DDR5-4800

$5,199.99USD

and
$4,149.00
ASUS ROG Strix G15CE Gaming & Entertainment Desktop PC (Intel i7-11700KF 8-Core, 16GB RAM, 1TB m.2 SATA SSD + 2TB HDD (3.5), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090, Wifi, Bluetooth, 6xUSB 3.1, Win 10 Home)

Back