TechSpot

The legend of DOS?

By TeCH_HuNGeRY
Feb 18, 2004
  1. I need to make a Batch file that changed directories apon typing G, B, V, and K. So essentially [if I am correct, G. Bat B Bat.V Bat. K. Bat. Ultimatly this is supposed to start solitaire...any tips or suggestions would be greatly apreciated...

2. TeCH_HuNGeRY

TeCH_HuNGeRY TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok i realize chdir changes directories....but to make a batch file that changes directories apon typing G.bat etc?

3. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,350

That is a bit confusing.

If you were going to change directorys, you would have to specify what directory your changing to using either "cd <directory>", "cd..", etc. The batch file would have to be in the correct directory for that to work too (but a cd.. command would work regardless of where you are. it just wouldnt take you anywhere if you werent under a sub-folder).

Explain in a bit more detail exactly what your trying to do.

4. TeCH_HuNGeRY

ok I have a assignment in which I am to create a batch file that changes directories apon typing G.Bat , B.Bat V.Bat and K.Bat...
    It is to start the game solitire......thats it...as it is written by the teacher...

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Change directories to where? Randomly change directories? Why 4 batch files? Are they supposed to do different things? Should there be command line arguments?

6. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

To make a batchfile to go to the G-drive, where (for argument's sake) Solitaire would be in Directory Games and Subdirectory Solitaire, you create a batchfile G.BAT as follows:
    Open Notepad and type in the following instructions, each on a separate line.

g:
    cd \games\solitaire
    solitaire.exe (or whatever the game's programname is)
    cd \
    c:

Now click on File/Save as and browse to the root of the C-drive where you save it under the
    name G with the extension BAT

That is all.

7. TeCH_HuNGeRY

k thank u all...on that note...any recomended sights to learn bout.."the legend of DOS"?

8. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

9. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

FYI
    A great book for Dos training and reference if your like me and use dos but infrequently.
    Carolyn Z Gillay & Bette A. Peat , Franklin,Beadle & Associates
    Windows 2000 Pro Command Line
    Also check for her latest Command Line release because it updates for Win XP some command changes in use, etc.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.