TechSpot

Weekend Open Forum: Your browser of choice

By Julio Franco
Jul 23, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Without looking at any stats, I'm confident to say web browsers are in the top three most used applications by PC users. In fact, the relevance of the web browser is soon to surpass its original intent with Google developing an operating system revolving around Chrome. But without delving too deep into what the future may hold, today the browser is where many of us spend a majority of our time, be it for production, consumption or recreational purposes.

Read the whole story

2. thatguyandrew92

thatguyandrew92 TS Rookie Posts: 118

FireFox 4 Life!

3. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 875

IE and FF 50/50

4. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Been using Firefox & add-ons happily since 2004 and couldn't live without them =). I'll occasionally use Chrome/IE but FF is pretty much my main browser on all my PC's.

5. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 155   +8

chrome, for me love the simple look and the speed!
    US IE for some websites that require silverlight (mainly MS websites).
    I use Firefox to download videos from YouTube, thats pretty much it.

I'm curious to see what MS will do with IE9!

6. Davidoff

Davidoff TS Member Posts: 46

Firefox FTW!!!!

7. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,349   +398

Firefox has been my standard for a while. But after a couple of recent comparison reviews on a couple of tech websites where Opera was the speed winner, I've tried that. It is no doubt faster than hell. But in the bells and whistles department, it's definitely lacking.

SO...Firefox is my main, Opera is my experiment. :)

8. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

Chrome and opera.

9. Cueto_99

Cueto_99 TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +12

God, a year ago I was using IE 8 or Firefox 3, but, after the first day I installed Chrome, I dished those two! I just love the clean look, without excessive useless taskbars, and the ability to search from the url bar, just can't live without it!!

10. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 877   +130

I use Chrome for 90% of my browsing needs. Occasionally I'll use Pale Moon/IE to test random things or to view the occasional page that I am having trouble viewing in Chrome.

11. kuksoolkid

kuksoolkid TS Rookie

Opera is far superior to firefox or ie... and safari for real that shouldn't even be a choice compared to the other ones. So my vote is opera because who needs all that other junk, that Firefox is so famous for, if you really know how to use a computer.

12. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

I use Opera, just because it's so sleek and does everything I want. It is on-par with Chrome in sleekness (window frame size, transparency, buttons etc), but with Chrome you have no Speed Dial, and no temp folder.

13. SSaywell

SSaywell TS Rookie Posts: 39

I used Firefox (4)/IE. I hope IE 9 is good as I would kinda like to just use IE as my main browser due to the fact that nearly every website works in IE, something that can't be said for the rest.

14. g4mer

g4mer TS Enthusiast Posts: 340

For some reason i hate Chrome. FIREFOX #1 !!

15. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,065   +84 Staff Member

I nearly converted to Chrome but I believe Firefox 4 has won me back. I still use both regularly though, because some sites don't work properly in FF4 yet.

16. g4mer

g4mer TS Enthusiast Posts: 340

Internet Explorer is a simple program that comes with Windows that allows you to download web browsers like Firefox and Opera.

17. Punkid

Punkid TS Maniac Posts: 545

i hate chrome too.... firefox and opera \m/

18. Decimae

Decimae TS Rookie Posts: 79

I tried using chrome once(because I wanted to save my tabs in ff4b1 which was lagging). This happened:
    http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy100/Hydrosophist/chromefail.jpg
    So well, FF is still my browser of choice, mostly because of the extensions. Opera seems nice too; but won't support a single extension. Safari seems not bad too; but IE still is the worst popular browser available.

19. myrmidonks

myrmidonks TS Rookie Posts: 65

FF is my browser of choice currently, because of the amount of customization it allows for. However, on my 5 year old laptop, chrome is the much faster browser, loading quicker itself, and loading pages faster as well.

20. Using Opera for 7 years now it's the leader everyone else copies and play catch up

21. Ithryl

Ithryl TS Rookie Posts: 53

Been using Opera for several years now. Wasn't 100% satisfied with the 10.x releases though so I've been giving a try to Chrome esp. in Linux while sticking to Opera in Windows most of the time.

22. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +126 Staff Member

I've used Opera for as long as I can remember
    Especially when I was on dialup which I was until 2005 it was a tremendous difference compared to the others, not only in speed but usability IMO

I also use the other browsers, Chrome is nice but lacks a good built in session manager, I use it on a Swedish site regularly tho which is super heavy on scripting, check it out, search for some computer hardware, really a cool site: www.prisjakt.se

Firefox I use when there is something that Opera wont display properly, that is quite rare tho

Internet Explorer I guess is the last resort, for Windows Update on XP & Server 2k3 and older plus the odd site which does not work properly in any of the above (for example older exchange webmail servers etc)

23. Opera rulez baby, much more customizable than chrome and even faster

24. opera 10.60 is untouchable in speed and options though I am looking forward to Firefox 4.

25. Rhodenator

Rhodenator TS Rookie

Home:
    Chrome = 95%
    IE = 5% (Only used when I have issues in a website which is about once every 6 months or when I need to do something remotely for work)

Work:
    IE = 95%
    Chrome = 5% (I only use Chrome for www.Pandora.com due the the Windows pass-through authentication when accessing internal sites such as SharePoint. I just prefer not to get prompted for credentials...)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.