Under the Help Menu, you can find the Migration Assistant to help you set up Thunderbird the way you want it. If you liked the old toolbar from Thunderbird 2, you can quickly make that change with the Migration Assistant. You can also install add-ons from the Migration Assistant like Advanced Folder Columns and Compact Header for your message display window.
Mail Account Setup Wizard
Prior to this feature you had to know your IMAP, SMTP, and SSL/TLS settings. Now all you need to provide is your name, email address, and password and the email account set up wizardry will check our database and find the email settings for you.
One-click Address Book
One-click Address Book is a quick and easy way to add people to your address book. Add people by simply clicking on the star icon in the message you receive. Two clicks and you can add more details like a photo, birthday, and other contact information.
The attachment reminder looks for the word attachment(and other words like file types) in the body of your message and reminds you to add an attachment before hitting send.
The Activity Manager records all the interactions between Thunderbird and your email provider in one place. There's no more guess work. You only have to look in one place to see everything that's happening with your email.
Quick Filter Toolbar
The Quick Filter Toolbar lets you filter your email faster. Start typing in words in the Quick Filter search box and the results are displayed instantly. Or you can filter your email by New Messages, Tags, and people in your Address Book.
You can also "Pin" or save a Filter and use it across multiple folders.
If you like Firefox's tabbed browsing, you're going to love tabbed email. Tabbed email lets you load emails in separate tabs so you can quickly jump between them. Perhaps you're responding to an email and need to refer back to an earlier email. Tabbed email lets you keep multiple emails open for easy reference.
Double-clicking or hitting enter on a mail message will now open that message in a new tab window. Right-clicking on messages or folders will open them in a tab in the background.
When quitting Thunderbird, visible tabs will be saved and will be restored when you open Thunderbird the next time.
There is also a Tab menu on the Tab toolbar to help you switch between Tabs.
The search interface in Thunderbird contains filtering and timeline tools to pinpoint the exact email you're looking for. Thunderbird also indexes all of your emails to help you search even faster. Your search results are displayed in a tab so you can easily switch back and forth to your search results and other email.
If you think you're going to need an email in the future but want it out of your inbox without deleting it, archive it! Archiving helps you manage your inbox and put your email into the archive folder system.
Selecting the Archive button or hitting the 'A" key will archive your email.
- New GMail supports OAuth2 authentication, removing the need to manually select "allow less secure applications" in Google options for the account. (bug 849540)
- New Ship Lightning calendar addon with Thunderbird and enable with an opt-out dialog (bug 1113183)
- New Filter sent messages (bug 11039)
- New Filter messages when archived (bug 479823)
- New Enable search in multiple/all address books (bug 170270)
- New Add support for Yahoo Messenger in Chat (bug 955574)
- New Support Internationalized domain name URLs for RSS feeds (Bug 1018589)
- New Show expanded columns in folder pane (bug 464973)
- New Allow file-per-message (maildir) local message storage (bug 845952)
- New Add a Learn more link to the support page in feeds subscribe dialog (bug 1053782)
- New Add reading position marker line to conversations (bug 760762)
- New The editor for twitter should show inputtable character count (bug 736002)
- Changed Thunderbird will no longer use SHA-1 to sign messages (bug 1018259)
- Changed Removed rarely used character sets: T.61-8bit, non-encoding Mac encoders, VISCII, x-viet-tcvn5712, x-viet-vps x-johab, ARMSCII8 , map us-ascii to windows-1252, ISO-8859-6-I and -E and ISO-8859-8-E, (bug 1068505 and others.)
- Changed Disable CONDSTORE support for IMAP to prevent discrepancies in IMAP message status (deleted, unread) on some servers (bug 912216)
- Changed Make OpenSearch queries open in the user's default browser (bug 1120777)
- Changed Default to using SSL for XMPP and IRC. This might cause issues for self-signed certificates (bug 1122567, bug 1122666)
- Fixed Replied/forwarded icons disappear after folder repair, detach/delete (bug 840418)
- Fixed Attachment "Save As" files are displayed in Tools/Saved Files (bug 914517)
- Fixed Adding unknown email addresses to Mailing list, then deleting ghost duplicate entries from contacts pane, caused dataloss in mailing list (bug 628035)
- Fixed Web site from RSS feed was not rendered correctly (bug 662907)
- Fixed Email address with leading/trailing whitespace displayed wrongly with added quotes when composing ["foo"@bar.com] (bug 286760)
- Fixed Force display of Sender header if S/MIME sender is the signer (bug 332639)
- Fixed Addressing autocomplete widget: Typed text in red despite results/matches found if suggestions change by last input (bug 1042561)
- Fixed Status bar not accessible (bug 934875)
- Fixed Wrong folder may be deleted when requesting junk delete (bug 1018960)
- Fixed Severe UI stutter or freezes getting New mail for very large folders (bug 870556)
- Fixed Automatically rejoin multi-user conversations on reconnect for XMPP (bug 1014472)
- Fixed Various improvements when using IRC on moznet (bug 1083768 and others)
- Fixed Significantly improve XMPP support (bug 1085022 and others)
- Fixed Fixes for connecting to non-standard IRC networks (bug 870556 and others)
- Fixed Automatically reclaim IRC nicks during a reconnect (bug 1087566)
- Fixed Changing location in editor doesn't preserve the font when returning to end of text/line (bug 756984)
- Fixed Inline spell checker loses red underlines after a backspace is used (bug 1100966)
- Unresolved Automatic addon compatibility update checks were not completed, so existing addon compatibilities may not be accurate.
- Unresolved Copy/Paste into plain text editor deletes newlines from quoted text (bug 1143570)