Start a project
You’ll find all the projects you’re working on listed in the sidebar. If you’re starting a new project, use the repository drop down menu to create a new repository or clone an existing one directly from GitHub.com.
Branches are essential to proposing changes and reviewing code on GitHub—and they’re always available in the top left corner of the repository view. Just select the current branch to switch branches or create a new one.
Craft the perfect commit
View a diff of your uncommitted changes, and form the perfect commit by selecting the files—or even the specific lines—that make up a change. Enter the summary and description, then commit.
See your history
Visualize your changes and commits in the comparison graph. You can select commits on the graph to navigate through the history of your local branches.
Create a pull request
Once you’re happy with your commits, you can open a pull request for review and discussion without leaving GitHub Desktop or touching the command line.
Merge and deploy
Browse commits on local and remote branches to quickly and clearly see what changes still need to be merged. You can also merge your code to the master branch for deployment right from the app.
- Android version updated 1.43.2
- Add custom tooltips for quicker and more helpful information - #6384
- Support PyCharm as an external editor - #13270. Thanks @stevetaggart!
- Prevent inactive selected state from disappearing on lists - #13115
- Fix click area to select hunk on both sides of diff - #13325. Thanks @jwbth!
- Replace dialog animations with fade when user prefers reduced motion - #12976 #2768
- Warn users when files contain bidirectional Unicode text - #13343
- Change wording for default branch name option - #13223. Thanks @Rexogamer!
Recent GitHub Desktop news
Software similar to GitHub Desktop 5
A free Git and Mercurial client for Windows or Mac.
SmartGit is a graphical Git client with support for GitHub, Bitbucket and GitLab. SmartGit runs on Windows, macOS and Linux.
The legendary Git GUI client for Windows, Mac and Linux.
More similar downloads