Paint.NET is jointly developed at Washington State University with additional help from Microsoft, and is meant to be a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with all Windows operating systems.Paint.NET is a photo editor and manipulation software.
Download notes: Alternatively you can download the latest stable version of this software.
The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with GDI+ extensions.
Paint.NET has many of the powerful features that expensive commercial applications have, including the ability to use layers.
This is the second semester that Paint.NET has been a project at Washington State University, and we have the goal of adding as much functionality as expensive commercial applications provide, but of course, for free.
In the spirit of all this freedom, we welcome any suggestions, as well as provide the source code free of charge for anyone who wishes to tinker with it.
Here are the changes and fixes since the last beta build (5152):
- Added new languages: Dutch, Finnish, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal)
- Fixed many typos and clumsy translations in various languages
- Fixed the main window growing taller and flashing black after being minimized and then restored
- Fixed the tools committing their changes to the image when trying to exit the application (waste of CPU/disk)
- Fixed the current layer not being preserved when using one of the Image -> Rotate commands
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts not working in some cases if the mouse was positioned over the toolbar
- Fixed some inappropriate text wrapping in drop down boxes in German (the text is now clipped with "..." instead)
- Fixed the Recolor tool's shortcut mistakenly being 'e' instead of 'r'
- Pressing 'A' now cycles through the shapes when the Shapes tool is active (Shift+A cycles backward)
- Fixed mouse input centering for the brush tools when antialiasing was disabled
- Re-enabled Ctrl+D as a "commit" button
- Moved the "Finish" button (green checkmark) to the end of the toolbar and included the "Finish" text so that it is easier to aim at
- Fixed some font previews rendering as gray instead of black
- Fixed a crash that was most easily reproducible by copying an image from IE11 and then clicking on File->New Image
- Image close buttons are now appropriately styled on Windows 7
- Fixed a dangling progress bar after running some effects
- Fixed some drifting color value problems in the Colors window when changing Hue, Saturation, and/or Value
- Fixed a crash caused by 3rd-party visual themes that try to use fonts that don't exist
- Fixed a crash when toggling a layer's visibility while using the Move Selected Pixels tool and then undoing
- Fixed a crash when opening an image due to not being able to create the thumbnail for the File -> Open Recent list
- Fixed a crash on startup due to the user's My Documents folder not existing
- Changed the canvas background color to gray when using the Blue theme
- Fixed an error whereby committing an action, changing the active layer, undoing, and then redoing would cause the action to be redone on the new layer instead of the one it was originally drawn on
- Fixed shortcut keys not working for toggling line styles and caps for the Shapes tool
- Fixed some styling issues in the Settings dialog in the Tools section
- Fixed some delayed crashes with some effect plugins which would happen when trying to do an action afterward
- Fixed a crash caused by pressing Escape while drawing a shape
- Fixed many plugin compatibility and crash issues