Paint.NET is jointly developed at Washington State University with additional help from Microsoft, and is meant to be a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with all Windows operating systems.Paint.NET is a photo editor and manipulation software.
Download notes: Alternatively you can download the latest stable version of this software.
The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with GDI+ extensions.
Paint.NET has many of the powerful features that expensive commercial applications have, including the ability to use layers.
This is the second semester that Paint.NET has been a project at Washington State University, and we have the goal of adding as much functionality as expensive commercial applications provide, but of course, for free.
In the spirit of all this freedom, we welcome any suggestions, as well as provide the source code free of charge for anyone who wishes to tinker with it.
- New: The canvas may now be scrolled past the edge of the image (aka "overscroll")
- New: When holding the spacebar, you may scroll using the keyboard arrow keys (in addition to click-and-drag panning). Holding Ctrl will scroll at 10x the rate.
- Improved: The rate of auto-scrolling, which triggers when the mouse is at the canvas edge and a mouse button is being held down, has been improved and is based on time instead of frames
- Improved: Fixed Size selection drawing now defaults to 400x300 pixels instead of 4x3 inches
- Improved: Tooltips for Custom Shapes now include their file system location
- Improved: Edit->Invert Selection should perform much faster when used with unmodified selections from the Magic Wand tool
- Improved: When running within VMWare, "Hardware accelerated rendering" is disabled by default (Microsoft's WARP is faster than VMWare's D3D emulation)
- Fixed: Erratic brush/pencil drawing when running within VMWare (this is caused by a bug in Win32's GetMouseMovePointsEx API, and is not actually limited to VMWare)
- Fixed: Color Picker tool could crash if used at the bottom of the image, as reported at http://forums.getpai...-screen-update/
- Fixed: There was a glitch in the Gradient tool's rendering when dx was equal to dy, as reported athttp://forums.getpai...ion-and-length/
- Fixed: The Layers window would sometimes auto-scroll the active layer to the bottom when performing certain operations, as reported at http://forums.getpai...or-duplicating/
- Fixed some mouse cursor glitches when using panning using the spacebar
- Fixed many glitches and a few crashes in the image size dialogs (File->New, Image->Resize, Image->Canvas Size)
- Fixed a problem with inconsinstently skipped input when using the arrow keys to move tool handles, as reported athttp://forums.getpai...ction-keys-bug/
- Fixed: Custom Shapes did not always have the correct bounding box, and would have weird behavior as a result
- Fixed: Line/Curve handles were unusable for up to 500ms after adjusting properties in the toolbar
- Fixed some crashes and soft hangs in the Save Configuration dialog
- Fixed a blemish at the top of the main window when Windows is set to 200% DPI
- Fixed: There were some precision bugs with IndirectUI sliders that would cause them to get "stuck" at certain values (mostly affects effect plugins)
- Improved: IndirectUI's Angle Chooser control now supports the DecimalPlaces property (for plugins)
- Improved: IndirectUI's Slider controls now support all-negative ranges (e.g. [-200, -20])