FreeFixer works by scanning a large number of locations where unwanted software has a known record of appearing or leaving traces. The scan locations include the programs that run on your computer, the programs that starts when you reboot your computer, your browser's plug-ins, your home page setting, etc.
FreeFixer does not know what is unwanted, so it presents the scan result and it's up to you decide if some file should be removed and if some settings should restored to their default value. Please be careful! If you delete a legitimate file you may damage your computer. To assist you when determining if anything should be removed you can find more information at FreeFixer's web site for each item in the scan result. You can for example see what other users chose to do in the same situation. You can also save log file of your scan result and consult the volunteers in one of the FreeFixer helper forums.
For more detailed information about FreeFixer, please see the User's Manual.
- Added a separate download with a portable version of FreeFixer for users who want to bring FreeFixer on a USB flash drive or on an external hard-drive.
- FreeFixer now scans the modules loaded into Firefox.exe.
- Fixed bug where the Firefox Extension scan under some conditions failed to list all extensions, when running FreeFixer on a 64-bit machine.
- FreeFixer now scans and repairs Internet shortcuts on the Start Menu, Quick Launch bar, the desktop, etc.
- The Start Menu Internet shortcuts plugin now displays the browser icons in the scan result.
- FreeFixer now encodes the plain text log file in UTF-8. An UTF-8 byte order mark has been added in the beginning of the log.
- Disabled the Csrss.exe's virtual memory scan on Windows 8.1, since csrss.exe is a protected process since Windows 8.1.
- Fixed many minor issues related to running FreeFixer on Windows 8.1.
- Increased contrast between links and the background in FreeFixer's user interface. This change has been made to increase readability for visually impaired users. This change has also been made on the freefixer.com web site.
- Fixed race condition bug in FreeFixer's initialization code that could result in FreeFixer displaying a blank dialog with white background.
- Fixed bug where the Scheduled Tasks plugin halted its scan when it could not retrieve information about one of the tasks. The failing tasks are now tagged as "failed to get task info" in the scan result.
- Fixed bug where the scan of Start Menu Internet shortcuts was interrupted if one of the browser's registry configuration under HKCU/HKLM\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet was incomplete.
- Removed the red background gradient.