Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
- Add Hebrew translation, courtesy of NSBuilder and פלוני אלמוני
- Add a cheat mode (Alt-O) to create an ISO from the first optical media found
- Enable target system selection for Windows To Go
- Enable NTFS selection for Syslinux 6.x (EXPERIMENTAL)
- Fix an issue that allowed BIOS target selection with pure UEFI images
- Fix license display for RTL languages
- Update Grub4DOS and FreeDOS to latest
- Additional fixes and improvements
Apps similar to Rufus 4
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs.
The Windows USB/DVD Download tool allows you to create a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file on a USB flash drive or a DVD.