Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
- Do not download BIOS related files unless BIOS boot is selected
- Improve support for Arch Linux derivatives
- Add a cheat mode to disable drive indexing on format (Alt-Q)
- Fix handling of 'Super Floppy Disk' formatted drives
- Fix handling of misleading short write reports, for drives larger than 1 TB
- Fix an issue that enabled FAT32 file system selection on some Windows images
- Fix broken UI font for XP users
- Fix sanitizing of exFAT labels
Apps similar to Rufus 4
YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs.
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
UNetbootin Universal Netboot Installer - allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD.