Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
- Fix inability to create BIOS-bootable drives, in some circumstances, due to write sharing permissions
- Preserve 'GPT for UEFI' option if the user changed it before selecting an ISO
- Fix unwanted notification sound when closing with the X button
- Fix inability to restore the minimized application after a popup is displayed
- Fix an issue when trying to install Syslinux/NTFS twice in a row
- Work around Microsoft's inconsistent casing of device IDs during device enumeration
- Work around Microsoft's aggressive locking of partitions in Windows 10 Creators Update
- Restrict write sharing permissions when accessing a device
- Update libcdio and GRUB 2.0 to latest
Apps similar to Rufus 4
YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs.
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
UNetbootin Universal Netboot Installer - allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD.