Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be especially useful for cases where:
- you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)
- you need to work on a system that doesn't have an OS installed
- you need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS
- you want to run a low-level utility
Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to work with:
Arch Linux, Archbang, BartPE/pebuilder, CentOS, Damn Small Linux, Fedora, FreeDOS, Gentoo, gNewSense, Hiren's Boot CD, LiveXP, Knoppix, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, NT Password Registry Editor, OpenSUSE, Parted Magic, Slackware, Tails, Trinity Rescue Kit, Ubuntu, Ultimate Boot CD, Windows XP (SP2 or later), Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
- Fix non-listing of drives that are opened for write access by another process
- Report external processes that may be preventing disk access (in the log)
- Improve Windows To Go support for Windows 10 Creators Update
- Don't report an error on checkdisk failure
- Update GRUB 2.0 and Grub4DOS to latest
- Other fixes and improvements
Apps similar to Rufus 4
YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer), is the successor to MultibootISOs.
Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive. The Universal USB Installer is easy to use.
UNetbootin Universal Netboot Installer - allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD.