Contrary to MultiBootISO's which used grub to boot ISO files directly from USB, YUMI uses syslinux to boot extracted distributions stored on the USB device, and reverts to using grub to Boot Multiple ISO files from USB, if necessary.
Aside from a few distributions, all files are stored within the Multiboot folder, making for a nicely organized Multiboot Drive that can still be used for other storage purposes.
Creating a YUMI Multiboot MultiSystem Bootable USB Flash Drive
YUMI works much like Universal USB Installer, except it can be used to install more than one distribution to run from your USB. Distributions can also be uninstalled using the same tool.
How to Create a MultiBoot USB Flash Drive
- Run the YUMI .exe file following the onscreen instructions
- Run the tool again to Add More ISOs/Distributions to your Drive
- Restart your PC setting it to boot from the USB device
- Select a distribution to Boot from the Menu and enjoy.
That's all there is to it. You should now be booting your favorite distributions from your custom Multi-Boot USB device.
How It Works:
YUMI (Your Universal Multiboot Installer) enables each user to create their own custom Multiboot UFD containing only the distributions they want, in the order by which they are installed. A new distribution can be added to the UFD each time the tool is run.
If you run YUMI from the same location you store ISO files, they should be auto-detected (*See Known Issues Below), eliminating the need to browse for each ISO.
If MultibootISOs was previously used, you must reformat the drive and start over. YUMI uses Syslinux directly, and chainloads to grub only if necessary, so it is not compatible with the older Multiboot ISO tool. Although I do plan to add back most of the capabilities of MultibootISOs as time permits.
The distro uninstaller works great, but unlisted ISO's that have been added must currently be manually removed! Also note that not all Unlisted ISO's can be booted (thus adding unlisted ISO's is an unsupported option).
- Include ability to see which Disk the drive letter is on. Improve DiskWipe option – rescan before creating a new partition.
- Fallback to Fat32 or NTFS Format only the selected Drive Letter, with an option to additionally Wipe Entire Disk (including all attached Volumes/Partitions). The Wipe Entire Disk option can be used to Restore USB drives made bootable with DD, or to convert them back to use a single partition with a bootable MBR.
- Update to support Pearl Linux. Fix some broken links. Fix Solus entry.
- Update to support Norton Bootable Recovery Tool, Quick Save Live, Hiren's Boot CD PE, and newer CentOS 7 Live.
- Update to support Kodachi, and newer Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
- Update to support GeckoLinux and newer Porteus.
- Fix various broken links.
- Added initial support for KaOS, VyOS, Bluestar Linux, Raspberry Pi Desktop, and XenialPup. Medicat now extracts to the root folder until I find a fix for lost paths.
- Added support for Super Grub2 Disk, Trisquel, newer LXLE, and Medicat.
- Added support for MX Linux and Feren OS.
- Added support for Parrot, Vinux (for the blind and visually impaired), POP!_OS, and WifiWay 3.5.
- Added support for Antergos, PureOS, CentOS Installer, Ubuntu Mini (Netboot Installer), and recent Debian Live and Tails Images. Corrected broken Debian homepage link and Lubuntu, Xubuntu download links.
- Add ability to create larger than 4GB casper-rw persistent file if using NTFS format for Ubuntu and Linux Mint – (creates 4th partition table). Added casper-rw creation progress banner.
- Add Windows to Go VHD option.
- Fix to replace empty spaces in Distro filename with dashes. Update Get Drives function to ignore system and network drives. Correct some wording.
- Add Windows to Go VHD option. Added more info for syslinux warning. Added Diskpart NTFS format option.
- Temporarily add back Single Windows Vista/7/8/10 Installer option (which extracts all files from ISO to root). Add lock and dismount capability.
- Update to support OSFClone, newer WifiSlax, and NetRunner. Correct AntiX entry to use bdir=. Update to replace empty spaces in iso file with dashes. Correction to GRUB Partition 4 option.
- Quick Fix for singular and multiple Win PE builds.
- Update to support various Win PE builds. Modified distribution removal process. Corrected font size for Show All ISOs option.
- Update to support Solus. Reinclude show all drives option. Disable FSCTL lock, dismount, and unlock volume features until a better solution is found.
- Update Get Drives function to ignore system and network drives. Add filesystem and drive type to drive list. Add lock, dismount, and unlock features.
- Update to support ChaletOS and Bunsenlabs. Support newer Fedora Workstation Live and Zorin Core ISOs. Fix CentOS Link. Create a trk3 directory at the root of USB before copying files (necessary for Windows XP copyfiles).
- UEFI Yumi Beta 0.0.0.3: Add support for Arch Bang, Skywave Linux, and Cyborg Linux.
- Add support for Arch Bang, Skywave Linux, and Cyborg Linux.
- Add support for Android-x86. Fix broken Manjaro entry. Update credits and sources.
- Fix Eset, avira, and Dr.Web menu entries which became broken in build 18.104.22.168.
- Update to support Cub Linux. Fix broken WifiSlax entry. Use alternate method for old Ubuntu derivatives with conflicting syslinux gfxboot.
- Fixed bug: calculating remaining space on USB drive. Switch back to using vesamenu for sub-menu config files. Remove unused Prompt 0 from config. Re-enable Ubuntu gfxoot.
- Update to support Linux Kid X, Linux Lite, Subgraph OS, and Calculate Linux Desktop. Re-enable entry for Offline NT Password and Registry Editor.
- Add GRUB (partition 4) option. Update to support Xioapan, Windows 10, Bitdefender Rescue CD options. Update DBan option.
- Remove distributions that are no longer being developed. Fix broken links.
- Update to support newer GRML 2014-11, CentOS 7, Clonezilla 2.4.2-10, and Ultimate Edition 4.
- Add support for Tahrpup 6.0, Debian Live 7.8.0, and OpenSuSe 3.2.
- Fix broken 64bit option for Parted Magic entry.
- Remove Acronis True Image entry (Use Try Unlisted ISO GRUB for Acronis). Updated links.
- Enable checkbox option to forcefully Show All ISO Files.
- Switch to use Syslinux 6.0.3 to address ERR: Couldn't read the first sector issues.
- Add Dr.Web LiveDisk. Fix broken System Rescue CD, and HDT option. Update Ubuntu download options.
- Fix Windows Vista/7/8 and Hiren's options.
- Update to support Peach OSI
- Update to support CAINE and Puppy Arcade.
- Support for Tails 0.23.
What's New in YUMI UEFI:
- Update to support newer Ubuntu and derivitives using initrd instead of initrd.lz,.gz, etc.
- Fix various broken links.
Apps similar to YUMI 3
One of the best tools to create bootable USB drives, the easy way.
MultiBootUSB allows you to install multiple live linux on a USB disk non destructively and option to uninstall distros. Try out the world's first true cross platform multi boot live usb creator for free.
The Windows USB/DVD Download tool allows you to create a copy of your Windows 7 ISO file on a USB flash drive or a DVD.