PCMark 8 2.0.204
PCMark 8 is the latest version in Futuremark's series of popular PC benchmarking tools. It is designed to test the performance of all types of PC, from tablets to desktops.
With five separate benchmark tests plus battery life testing, PCMark 8 helps you find the devices that offer the perfect combination of efficiency and performance. PCMark 8 is the complete PC benchmark for home and business.
PCMark 8 includes five new benchmark tests, each designed around a specific scenario. Choose the benchmark that best matches the device being tested, or run all five for a complete picture of the device's performance. Each benchmark produces a score you can use to compare systems as well as detailed results for gaining a deep understanding of performance during each individual workload.
Workloads that reflect common tasks for a typical home user. These workloads have low computational requirements making PCMark 8 Home suitable for testing the performance of low-cost tablets, notebooks and desktops. Home includes workloads for web browsing, writing, gaming, photo editing, and video chat. The results are combined to give a PCMark 8 Home score for your system.
Workloads typical of enthusiasts and professionals who work with media and entertainment content. With more demanding requirements than the Home benchmark, this benchmark is suitable for mid-range computer systems. PCMark 8 Creative includes web browsing, photo editing, video editing, group video chat, media transcoding, and gaming workloads.
Measures your system's ability to perform basic office work tasks, such as writing documents and browsing websites. The Work benchmark is suitable for measuring the performance of typical office PC systems that lack media capabilities. For more demanding office use, run the Creative benchmark test. The results from each workload are combined to give an overall PCMark 8 Work score for your system.
Measures the performance of SSDs, HDDs and hybrid drives with traces recorded from Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and a selection of popular games. You can test the system drive or any other recognised storage device, including local external drives. Unlike synthetic storage tests, the PCMark 8 Storage benchmark highlights real-world performance differences between storage devices.
Measures system performance using popular applications from the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office. You can choose which tests to run based on the applications installed on your system. Each test automatically steps through a series of actions such as opening, editing and saving a file. The results are used to calculate the PCMark 8 Applications scores for the system.
Battery Life Test
PCMark 8 improves on previous versions by including new battery life testing tools. The Home, Creative, Work and Applications benchmarks can be used for battery life testing. Choose Battery Life mode to loop the benchmark until the battery is almost empty to accurately measure battery life under real-world conditions. PCMark 8 even supports external instrumentation with 3rd party power measurement equipment.
There's a new minor update available for PCMark 8 (2.0.204)
- Fixed an issue that prevented PCMark 8 from launching after a recent Steam update.
- Fixed an issue with Expanded Storage tests (Professional Edition only) that could result in the unintentional removal of the partition table from a non-empty drive.
This is a major update that adds new tests and workloads. Scores from the Home, Creative and Work benchmarks in PCMark 8 v2.0.191 are not comparable with scores from v1.2.157 or other previous versions. This update adds a new Compatibility Mode setting to the Professional and Advanced Editions that enables you to run older versions of each test for times when you need to compare scores with historical benchmark results.
These notes are a summary of the changes in this update. Please read the PCMark 8 Technical Guide for detailed descriptions of the new tests and workloads.
- Home updated to version 3.0. Scores should not be compared with previous versions.
- New Photo Editing test using the open source ImageMagick library and a wider variety of image processing operations.
- Video Chat test now features improved face detection and performance. The test has been updated to use OpenCV 2.4.7.
- Creative updated to version 3.0. Scores should not be compared with previous versions.
- Photo Editing test using the open source ImageMagick library and a wider variety of image processing operations.
- Video Editing part 2 now uses source material in 4K UHD resolution (3840x2160).
- Video Group Chat test now features improved face detection and performance. The test has been updated to use OpenCV 2.4.7.
- Work updated to version 2.0. Scores should not be compared with previous versions.
- Work version 2.0 adds a new Spreadsheet test and includes the Video Chat test to provide more varied and representative workloads for office and enterprise use.
- New Spreadsheet test using LibreOffice Calc, a part of the open-source productivity suite from The Document Foundation.
- Added Video Chat test to the benchmark.
- Storage updated to version 1.1. Scores are comparable with previous versions.
- Added Expanded Storage tests for specialist analysis of drive performance, (PCMark 8 Professional Edition only).
- Compatibility Mode enables you to run the Home, Creative and Work benchmarks from version 1.2.157 for instances when you need to compare scores against historical result data, (PCMark 8 Professional and Advanced Editions only).
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: