Faster than Chrome. Better privacy by default than Firefox. Uses less battery on mobile. By blocking harmful ads and trackers you get a faster Internet. Other browsers claim to have a "private mode," but this only hides your history from others using your browser. Brave lets you use Tor in a tab which not only hides your history, but it masks your location from the sites you visit by routing your browsing through several servers before it reaches your destination. These connections are encrypted to increase anonymity.
What engine does Brave Browser use?
Brave Browser has been built using the Chromium engine. As one would expect, this makes Brave Browser compatible with most extensions found in the Chrome Web Store.
Who owns Brave Browser, is it trustworthy?
What search engine does Brave Browser use?
Brave Browser tries to set itself apart by giving privacy a greater emphasis. For this reason they have opted to incorporate in their web browser a proprietary search named Brave Search.
What is Brave Search?
Brave Search is the default search engine in Brave Browser. It's been designed to eliminate privacy concerns by not tracking or recording any of your activity. Brave Search relies on anonymous community contributions to refine results, as well as community-based ranking models.
Does Brave Browser come with a VPN?
The Android and iOS mobile versions of Brave Browser do offer a VPN, but Brave Browser for desktop doesn't include a VPN.
Control the Ads You See
Brave Ads is an opt-in advertising platform that rewards you to view non-invasive ads without compromising your privacy. In exchange for paying attention, you earn 70% of the ad revenue that Brave receives. That revenue comes in the form of Basic Attention Tokens (BAT),7 which are tokens that can be spent online.8 At the end of each month, you can either withdraw your BAT in the form of cash or pay it forward by tipping your favorite websites and content creators.9 Just open the Brave Rewards panel and hit "Send a tip" to instantly share your BAT earnings with the content creators you love.10
Getting paid isn't the only perk of opting into Brave Ads --- it allows you to engage with advertisements and brands in a more thoughtful way. Brave gives you control over the ads you see and how often you see them. No more having to sit through ads on YouTube,11 and definitely no more searching through all of your open tabs to find out where that annoyingly loud video ad is playing. With Brave, ads play on your terms.
Switching is Easy
- Import and continue where you left off
- It's easy to import your settings from your old browser. You can do it during the welcome tour or later through the menus.
- All of your old browser profiles will appear in a list. You can import other browser data through the main menu item called "Import Bookmarks and Settings."
Support your favorite sites with Brave Rewards
- Turn on Brave Rewards and give a little back to the sites you frequent most. Earn frequent flyer-like tokens (BAT) for viewing privacy-respecting ads through Brave and help fund the content you love
- Browsing the web with Brave is free: with Brave Rewards activated, you can support the content creators you love at the amount that works for you.
- Brave can automatically distribute your contributions based on how much time you spend on sites. Or, you can choose to tip sites directly, and even offer a fixed monthly tip amount.
- All of this works while keeping your browsing history private. Your funds are made available to site owners through an anonymous ledger system, so you can't be identified based on the sites you visit and support. Over 10,000 publishers and content creators have registered to receive Brave Rewards.
- Remember: these contributions are optional - browsing the web with Brave is free.
Experience unparalleled privacy and security.
- Brave fights malware and prevents tracking, keeping your information safe and secure. It's our top priority.
We're not in the personal data business.
- Our servers neither see nor store your browsing data - it stays private, on your devices, until you delete it. Which means we won't ever sell your data to third parties.
Customize your shield settings
- Choose your settings on a per-site or browser-wide basis. See how many ads and trackers are being blocked by Brave every day on the New Tab Page.
Security meets simplicity
- If you're willing to research, download, and install multiple extensions, and carefully configure and correctly maintain settings in both the browser and extensions, you can match some of Brave's privacy and security.
Brave does all that work for you. Simple, right?
- Whenever possible using the HTTPS Everywhere list, Brave automatically upgrades to HTTPS for secure, encrypted communications when an ordinary browser would use an insecure connection.
Defaults that matter
- Browse confidently with default settings that block phishing, malware, and malvertising. Also, plugins, which have proven to be a security risk, are disabled by default.
Sync your devices bravely
- Brave Sync, currently in beta, can be enabled to encrypt and synchronize your preferred settings and bookmarks. However, Brave does not have the keys to decrypt your data.
- Ad blocking
- Fingerprinting prevention*
- Cookie control*
- HTTPS upgrading*
- Block scripts*
- Per-site shield settings
- Configurable global shield defaults
- Clear browsing data
- Built-in password manager
- Form autofill
- Control content access to full-screen presentation
- Control site access to autoplay media
- Send "Do not track" with browsing requests
- Choose default search engine
- Use keyboard shortcuts for alternate search engines
- Option to use DuckDuckGo for private window search
- Earn by viewing private ads
- Tip your favorite creators
- Contribute monthly to sites
- Auto-contribute to sites
- Verify with Uphold and move funds in and out of your wallet
- Become a verified creator and start earning BAT from tips, contributions and referrals
Tabs & Windows
- Private Windows
- Pinned Tabs
- Drag and drop
- Close Options
- Find on page
- Print page
- Add Bookmark
- Autosuggest URLs
- Search from address bar
- Autosuggest search terms
- Show/hide bookmarks toolbar
- Show secure or insecure site
- Brave Desktop now supports most of the Chrome extensions in the chrome web store
Brave Firewall + VPN (paid feature, iOS only)
- Unlike many browsers that offer VPNs which mask a user's IP address, Brave's Firewall + VPN, powered by Guardian, offers enhanced security and privacy by encrypting and protecting anything users do while connected to the Internet.
- Block trackers across all apps
- Protects all connections
- We never share or sell you info
- VPN server does not know who you are
- Added support for quoted scriptlet arguments. (#34170)
- Fixed issue where Brave Leo gives incomplete answers in certain cases. (#34321)
- Fixed VPN toolbar button state mismatch. (#33023)
- Fixed misaligned window buttons on Linux. (#34201)
- Fixed "Set as default" not working on Linux when installed via Snap. (#34053)
- Upgraded Chromium to 119.0.6045.199. (#34574) (Changelog for 119.0.6045.199)
- Fixed crash on startup when using Linux Arm64. (#34081)
- Upgraded Chromium to 119.0.6045.163. (#34331) (Changelog for 119.0.6045.163)
- Added loading state indicator on "Select token" screen. (#32641)
- Implemented Sign-In With Ethereum (SIWE). (#32078)
- Implemented Safe Sign for CoW Swaps. (#33093)
- Improved performance of "Network" filter dropdown. (#33004)
- Fixed Blockie account addresses being cut off in the "Send" panel. (#33912)
- Fixed formatting on the "Market" tab of the panel. (#33331)
- Fixed incorrect balances and infinite loading for amounts in certain cases. (#33187)
- Added Brave Leo - AI for questions and answers leveraging page context and integrated into the sidebar (being rolled out in phases using Griffin starting at 20%). (#34044)
- Added support for "#@#+js()" syntax for blanket scriptlet exception. (#33766)
- Added title to "Reading List" side panel. (#32953)
- Added title to "Bookmarks" side panel. (#32952)
- [Security] Fixed WebTorrent redirect issue as reported on HackerOne by xiaoyinl. (#32856)
- [Security] Fixed WebTorrent navigation issue as reported on HackerOne by xiaoyinl. (#32743)
- [Security] Fixed Tor tab redirect issue as reported on HackerOne by xiaoyinl. (#32706)
- Enabled History datatype for Brave Sync. (#32876)
- Enabled SKU SDK on Linux. (#32803)
- Updated default behavior for vertical tabs display when in fullscreen mode. (#33136)
- Updated display frequency for New Tab Page Sponsored Image. (#33228)
- Updated New Tab Page Sponsored Image counter to reset every 24 hours. (#31551)
- Updated design of Brave News feed cards. (#33296)
- Updated Brave News to only download the page's linked alternate feeds when the UI list is opened. (#33246)
- Moved brave://settings/socialBlocking to brave://settings/shields. (#32956)
- Moved brave://settings/newTab to brave://settings/getStarted. (#32954)
- Removed known tracking parameter "_gl" from URLs. (#33188)
- Removed known tracking parameter "unicorn_click_id" from URLs. (#33172)
- Removed known tracking parameters "at_recipient_id" and "at_recipient_list" from URLs. (#32488)
- Fixed flashing tray icon when clicking "Try again" in the VPN panel on Windows. (#33405)
- Fixed keyboard shortcuts not working after selecting Speedreader appearance controls. (#32948)
- Fixed rendering of Speedreader theme checkmark on Linux. (#32947)
- Fixed overlapping vertical lines in the "Tabs" section under brave://settings/appearance. (#30100)
- Upgraded Chromium to 119.0.6045.105. (#34024) (Changelog for 119.0.6045.105)
Brave Browser is featured in...
Software similar to Brave Browser 9
A browser that is fast, but also that is rich in functionality, highly flexible and puts the user first.
- Windows, macOS, Linux
Open-source browser project that aims to build a safer, faster, and more stable way to experience the web.
- Windows, macOS, Linux
Improve your browsing experience with Mozilla's open-source and highly acclaimed Firefox.
- Windows, macOS, Linux, Android
Connect to the world on the browser built by Google
- Windows, macOS, Linux
More similar downloads