High Image Quality
- 96-bit (floating point) processing engine.
- Non-destructive editing.
- Get the most details and least artifacts from your raw photos thanks to modern and traditional demosaicing algorithms: AMaZE, DCB, AHD, EAHD, HPHD, IGV, LMMSE, VNG4, Mono and Fast.
- Advanced color handling from white balance to HSV (Hue-Saturation-Value) curves, color toning and color management.
- Powerful CIE Color Appearance Model 2002 (CIECAM02) module.
- Enhanced exposure and tonality tools: tone and Lab curves, highlights and shadows tools, tone mapping (HDR-like effect), etc.
- Multiple denoising methods: luminance, chrominance (both rewritten in 2012), impulse (for salt and pepper noise) noise reduction.
- Several tools to enhance details: unsharp mask, RL deconvolution, contrast by detail levels.
- Multi-threaded algorithms for high performance (RawTherapee can utilize modern processor features, like SSE).
- Quick thumbnails load lightning fast and are replaced later with live thumbnails.
- Batch processing: convert all the developed images at once without loading the processor while you work.
- Copy/paste editing parameters from one file to many other. Partially copying and/or pasting is also possible.
- Basic tools immediately at your hands.
- Parallel editing of multiple images in separate editor tabs, and/or all at once from the file browser.
- An optional secondary display can be used.
- Wide variety of supported cameras: almost all DSLRs and even some medium format bodies are supported.
- Can load most raw files including 16-, 24- and 32-bit raw HDR DNG images, as well as standard JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit) and TIFF (8-, 16- and 32-bit logluv) images.
- Can save JPEG, PNG (8- and 16-bit) and TIFF (8- and 16-bit) images.
- Advanced control over the algorithms with many fine-tuning parameters and curves.
- Can send to GIMP or the editing tool of your choice in one click (16-bit TIFF file).
- Command line usage besides the normal graphical interface.
- Various layouts: multiple tabs, single tab with filmstrip, vertical tab with filmstrip, dual monitor.
Freedom for Free
- RawTherapee is free and open source software, meaning you can use it free of charge, wherever you like on whatever hardware you like, as long as you abide by the copyleft GPLv3 license. Download the source code, modify it, feel free to do what comes to mind. We believe in open software.
- It is cross-platform: Linux, Mac, or Windows, be it 32-bit or 64-bit - you pick, we provide.
- International: it is available in 25 languages
- Wavelets tool.
- Retinex tool.
- Monitor profile and rendering intent support.
- Print soft-proofing support.
- Automatic chroma noise reduction, manual luminance noise reduction using sliders and curves.
- The "Inspect" tab in the File Browser lets you see a 100% preview of the image whose thumbnail your mouse cursor hovers over, which is either the largest JPEG image embedded in the raw file or the image itself when hovering over non-raw images.
- The curve pipette allows you to pick the right point of a curve by clicking in the preview, and input/output values so that you can set the desired output value for a given input value.
- Post-resize sharpening, to give your photos that subtle crispness after resizing them.
- Dual-illuminant DCP support with curves, base tables, look tables and baseline exposure.
- New exposure tone curve modes "Luminance" and "Perceptual".
- Queue processing will stop if an error is encountered while saving, e.g. if you run out of disk space.
- The Contrast by Detail Levels tool received the "Process Locate Before/After Black-and-White" option.
- Rec. 2020 ICC profile added.
- The Navigator can show RGB, HSV and L*a*b* values in a range of 0-255, 0-1 or %.
- The Lockable Color Picker allows you to place multiple sample points over the preview to measure colors and see them change in real time as you manipulate the image. They support the same ranges as the Navigator.
- Grayscale JPEG and TIFF images are now supported.
- 32-bit TIFF files are supported.
- In addition to these new features, RawTherapee received over two years worth of amazing speedups, code cleanups and bug fixes, making it faster and more stable than ever before!
News Relevant to Package Maintainers
- Branch "master" uses GTK2, branch "gtk3" requires GTK+ >=3.16.
- There are known bugs using GTK+ versions 3.20-3.22 where scrollbars may appear stuck (issue #3545), and where the Retinex tool's "Gain and Offset" panel may appear under the "Transmission" panel until the user hovers the mouse cursor over a curve button (issue #3525). For this reason we recommend using GTK+ 3.16-3.18 if possible.
- RawTherapee 5 requires GCC-4.9 or higher, or Clang.
- Use -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-std=c++11"
- For stable builds (RT5) use -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX=""
- For development builds use -DCACHE_NAME_SUFFIX="5-dev"
- Windows builders should compile on a drive letter which users are most unlikely to have, such as Y:, due to the "There is no disk in the drive" error (issue #3544).
News Relevant to Developers
- Use C++11
- Code must be run through astyle.
- Commits automatically trigger a compilation using Travis CI.
Apps similar to RawTherapee 3
Image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows.
GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. A freely distributed photo retouching, image composition and image authoring program.
Photoshop CS2 pushes the envelope with powerful features and simplified workflows that provide photographers and creative professionals the freedom to deliver stunning images.