Each task requires a different environment and GIMP allows you to customize the view and behavior the way you like it. Starting from the widget theme, allowing you to change colors, widget spacings and icon sizes to custom tool sets in the toolbox. The interface is modulized into so called docks, allowing you to stack them into tabs or keep them open in their own window. Pressing the tab key will toggle them hidden.
GIMP features a great fullscreen mode allowing you to not only preview your artwork but also do editing work while using the most of your screen estate.
Numerous digital photo imperfections can be easily compensated for using GIMP. Fix perspective distortion caused by lens tilt simply choosing the corrective mode in the transform tools. Eliminate lens' barrel distortion and vignetting with a powerful filter but a simple interface.
GIMP is ideal for advanced photo retouching techniques. Get rid of unneeded details using the clone tool, or touch up minor details easily with the new healing tool. With the perspective clone tool, it's not difficult to clone objects with perspective in mind just as easily as with the orthogonal clone.
GIMP includes a very unique support for various input devices out of the box. Pressure and tilt sensitive tablets, but also a wide range of USB or MIDI controllers. You can bind often-used actions to device events such as rotating a USB wheel or moving a MIDI controller's slider. Change the size, angle or opacity of a brush while you paint, bind your favorite scripts to buttons. Speed up your workflow.
The file format support ranges from the common likes of JPEG (JFIF), GIF, PNG, TIFF to special use formats such as the multi-resolution and multi-color-depth Windows icon files. The architecture allows to extend GIMP's format capabilities with a plug-in. You can find some rare format support in the GIMP plugin registry.
Thanks to the transparent virtual file system, it is possible to load and save files to from remote locations using protocols such as FTP, HTTP or even SMB (MS Windows shares) and SFTP/SSH.
To save disk space, any format can be saved with an archive extension such as ZIP, GZ or BZ2 and GIMP will transparently compress the file without you needing to do any extra steps.
- Bug fixes
- Avoid D-Bus error message when built without D-Bus support
- Fix OS X min required conditional in gimpimagewindow.c
- Saving to existing .xcf.bz and .xcf.gz files didn't truncate them and could lead to unnecessarily large files
- Text layer created by gimp-text-fontname doesn't respect border when resized
- Avoid seeking when saving XCF files to prevent corruption with file network shares (fixed since 2014, but not mentioned in NEWS yet)
- Flow on Paint Dynamics editor dialog: the 'y' axis is indicating 'Rate' instead 'Flow'
- Vertical ruler shows artifacts if the status bar isn't showing
- Tablet stylus misbehaves when crossing the edge of a dock in multi-window-mode
- Disable the new "automatic window tabbing" feature introduced on macOS Sierra
- Improve the visibility of slider handles with dark themes
- Make it harder to switch to renaming if selecting already selected items in resource lists
- Make toggling to color picker mode of paint tools more robust
- call gimp_file_entry_set_filename() with filename encoding
- Reduce the memory requirement when running the installer (has already been shipped in a 2.8.18 installer-only update)
- Ship an updated libcairo to fix GTK+ UI rendering problems, like missing palette border/bevel and shadows under tab labels
- Ship the Tango icon theme with the DMG for a complete set of icons
- Fix the way mime data is copied into the bundle
- No longer copy Pango modules into the bundle
- Prevent a crash caused by drag&drop on OSX by patching the included GTK+
- Ship a patch for gettext to make sure the preferred UI language will be used
- Prevent the Python console from closing by the Escape key
- Help browser does not launch on OS X
- Filter 'Edge Detect/Difference of Gaussians' returns empty image
- Only use -xobjective-c for compile commands
- mkgen.pl: fix calls to write_file() routine to write to current directory
- When printing, the images are composed onto a white background to prevent printing a black box instead of a transparent image
- Fix color vision deficiency display filters to apply gamma correction directly
- Scottish Gaelic