It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, and Zephyr networks. Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.
Pidgin supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, and typing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more. Pidgin runs on a number of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and Qtopia (Sharp Zaurus and iPaq).
Pidgin 2.12.0 removed protocols that were not being maintained: Facebook XMPP, MSN, MySpace, Mxit, and Yahoo!. These will show up as unknown in your account lists until you delete them. AIM is not breaking, update to this version to keep it working.
- Fix an out of bounds memory read in purple_markup_unescape_entity. CVE-2017-2640
- Fix use of uninitialised memory if running non-debug-enabled versions of glib
- Updated AIM dev and dist ID's to new ones that were assigned by AOL.
- TLS certificate verification now uses SHA-256 checksums.
- Fixed SASL external auth for Freenode.
- Removed the MSN protocol plugin. It has been unusable and dormant for some time. MSNP18 has been discontinued and the protocol plugin would require a large update to start working again. See: http://ismsndeadyet.com/ The third-party Pidgin SkypeWeb plugin, however, should provide enough functionality as a replacement if people still want to use MSN: https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin/tree/master/skypeweb
- Removed Mxit protocol plugin. The service was closed at the end of September 2016. See https://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2016-September/024078.htm
- Removed the MySpaceIM protocol plugin. The service has been defunct for a long time. (#15356)
- Remove the Yahoo! protocol plugin. Yahoo has completely reimplemented their protocol, so this version is no longer operable as of August 5th, 2016: https://yahoo.tumblr.com/post/145715934739/q2-2016-progress-report-on-our-product
- A new protocol plugin has been written to support the new protocol. It can be found here: https://github.com/EionRobb/funyahoo-plusplus
- This also removes support for Yahoo! Japan. According to http://messenger.yahoo.co.jp/ the service ended March 26th, 2014.
- Remove the Facebook (XMPP) account option. According to https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat the XMPP Chat API service ended April 30th, 2015. A new protocol plugin has been written, using a different method, to support Facebook. It can be found at https://github.com/dequis/purple-facebook/wiki
- Fixed gnutls certificate validation errors that mainly affected google (Dequis)
- Replaced instances of d.pidgin.im with developer.pidgin.im and updated the urls to use https. (#17036)
- Fixed issue of messages being silently cut off at 500 characters. Large messages are now split into parts and sent one by one. (#4753)
Apps similar to Pidgin 10
TeamSpeak 3 continues the legacy of the original TeamSpeak communication system previously offered in TeamSpeak Classic (1.5) and TeamSpeak 2.
Free calls, text and picture sharing with anyone, anywhere.
Send files from your PC to mobile, Facebook and Google+ friends.