Amazon Kindle Fire (2nd Generation) Software Update 10.4.8
In addition to bug fixes and performance improvements, the software update adds the following features to your Kindle Fire:
- Language Support for Canadian English and Canadian French
- You can now change your device language to Canadian English and Canadian French.
- Enable Battery Percentage in the Status Bar
- You can now see the total amount of battery life remaining at the top of the screen when you enable this feature in the Device menu.
We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Fire 2nd Generation. The software update will be delivered wirelessly and includes several new features and performance enhancements:
- Support for X-Ray for Textbooks
- Explore the “bones” of your textbook, and access all the most important terms and concepts, with glossary definitions and links to relevant textbook pages.
- Simplified Chinese Support
- In addition to the other languages offered, you can now change your device language to Simplified Chinese.
- Track your reading progress with Time To Read
- Kindle Fire 2nd Generation calculates your reading speed to let you know when you’ll finish a chapter or book.
- Support for Kindle Editions with Audio/Video
- You can now read books that contain audio and/or video clips.
- Print Replica Textbook Enhancements
- Scroll through thumbnails at the bottom of the screen to preview pages and jump quickly between chapters, and mark important notes and highlights in your Notebook for easy reference.
Before you begin, determine your software version:
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap More.
- Tap Device, and then tap About.
If you see a System Version other than "10.3.0_user_3012920," follow one of these steps to download your software update:
To start the automatic download of a Kindle Fire software update:
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network and fully charge your battery.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen, and then tap Sync.
- The software update automatically downloads in the background and installs after the download is complete and the device is asleep.
To manually download a Kindle software update and transfer it to your Kindle via USB:
- Download your software: Click the following link to download the software update file directly to your computer.
- Transfer software to your Kindle Fire: Turn on your Kindle Fire and unlock the screen. Then connect it to your computer using a USB cable. On your Kindle Fire drive (the drive is typically displayed as a "device" icon), open the Internal storage folder. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer to the kindleupdates folder on your Kindle drive. Do not drop the file into any other folder on the Kindle drive.
- Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure file transfer to your Kindle is complete before disconnecting. After the file has transferred successfully, disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.
- Start the software update: On the Home screen, swipe down from the top and select More. Tap Device, and then tap About. Then tap Update Your Kindle. Your Kindle will restart during the update. After the restart, you will see Your Kindle is Updating.
- Once the update is complete and your Kindle has restarted: If your software update was successful, your System Version should now read 10.3.0_user_3012920.
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System. We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
Downloads and Drivers
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: