VIA Vinyl Stylus Audio Driver v. 3.5
The driver on this page is for Microsoft Windows & OS/2 users only. Linux users, please follow the instructions on this page.
For customers of the VIA Six-TRAC (VT1616 Codec) the VIA Stylus driver integrates that latest Sensaura technology to realize a new level of audio performance and functionality. Sensaura technology is designed to enhance the industry standard Microsoft DirectSound3D API, allowing game players to experience their games with high quality audio in three dimensions. Learn more about this exciting new driver and products featuring audio codecs which it supports here.
Identify your motherboard make and model. You can do this by 1. Look at your motherboard manual. OR 2. If you have a "brand" PC, check with the manufacturer OR 3. Look on the PCB, or actual board of the motherboard. Many manufacturers print their company name and/or model number on the motherboard, normally in the middle of the board or on a sticker on the northbridge chip. OR 4. Use the motherboard search list to help. OR 5. Run SiSoft Sandra then click on mainboard information icon and it will list the details.
Identify what sort of onboard sound you have by reading the product page for your motherboard or your motherboard manual. A VIA chipset based motherboard does not necessarily have VIA onboard sound. Links to VIA chipset based motherboard product pages can be found here.
VIA audio drivers should not be installed on those systems that utilize third-party audio cards. For third-party audio drivers support please contact your audio card supplier directly.
If you find that your motherboard does not have VIA onboard sound, note the name of the onboard sound you do have and follow the links to downloads or drivers on your motherboard manufacturer's web site to find the correct drivers and contact your motherboard manufacturer if you have any difficulties.
If you find that you do have VIA onboard sound install the drivers below, unless you have an Intel i81x/82x chipset (see note below).
- These drivers are for all Microsoft Operating systems. Microsoft no longer provides driver certification for Win95/98/98SE/NT, however the driver below still supports these operating systems - but there is no certification logo for these operating systems in the driver.
- This driver supports all VIA southbridges with integrated sound, including VT8231/VT82C686A/VT82C686B, VT8233/VT8233A/VT8233C/VT8235.
- This driver supports DOS sound for VIA VT82C686A/VT82C686B/VT8231 southbridges only.
- This combination driver was first published on 24 June 2002. Prior to 24 June 2002, there was driver 74mu170a for VT8233/VT8233A/VT8233C and driver 68MU220b for VT686A, 686B & VT8321. The "combo" driver combines those two drivers into the one package and adds support for the new VT8235 southbridge. In addition, further improvements have been made in subsequent release. Please refer to the file under "installation instructions" in the table below for further information.
- The ComboAudio driver also supports OS/2.
- Package version v3.50b released on 23 April 2003 was the first version to include Sensaura technology for the VIA Six-TRAC (VT1616 Codec).
|For VIA AC97 codecs incorporated into the VT8231,VT82C686A, VT82C686B, VT8233, VT8233A, VT8233C, VT8235 and VT8237 southbridges|
|Installation Instructions:||To install the driver click on the link (left). Choose the "Save File" option and save it to your folder under Windows where you file your drivers. Unzip the file. (If you are using Windows ME or Windows 98 with the Plus enhancement pack, they have a built-in compression agent that will allow you to extract zip files by right clicking and highlighting "Extract All". If you are using WinZip or another third party Zip/Compression program, follow the instructions of the program to unzip the file. Double click the "SETUP.EXE" icon. The program will then run and install the driver. You will be asked to restart. Always restart after installing drivers.|
|Driver release notes:||This document explains the difference between this driver and the previous version.|
|Readme File:||This ReadMe file contains full instructions, including instructions for sound in DOS.|
|VIA Six-TRAC Codec:||Special Notes for VIA Six-TRAC Codec (VT1616) users|
*Special note: VIA advises that where possible, users should install onboard sound drivers provided by their motherboard manufacturer in preference to the audio drivers above. This is because of the ID process in the Microsoft certification guidelines. Microsoft require a four part ID for PnP device drivers. If VIA have not received the appropriate ID from motherboard manufacturers, then the drivers below when installing on a system where the ID is not included in the driver package, will use the generic ID instead. In some instances, when this occurs, users may receive an error message or may even not be able to install the drivers. If this occurs, please contact your motherboard manufacturer for updated AC97 drivers.
Intel i81x/82x platforms only:
WMD and NT4.0 drivers for Intel i81x/82x chipsets can be downloaded from IC Ensemble's web site.
Note: Before proceeding with your driver installation we suggest you make sure you are installing the latest version available and for the appropriate model/revision and Operating System. We strongly suggest following 'readme' instructions for installing drivers when available. Often restarting your system will be necessary for the new driver to become active and start functioning properly.
Downloads and Drivers
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.