Fallout 3: Broken Steel DLC goes live, broken on PC

By on May 5, 2009, 10:38 AM
It seems Bethesda just can't catch a break lately. Their last piece of downloadable content for Fallout 3, The Pitt, saw a massive fan outcry and required Bethesda to release an updated version after it failed to work properly on Xbox 360 consoles. Now the latest DLC for the game, Broken Steel, has gone live, and it's also causing problems for players – this time on the PC.

Users on the Bethesda forums are reporting an error message when installing the $10 additional content. After the files are downloaded through the Windows Live Marketplace, the installation stops and displays the message “Not a cryptographic message or the cryptographic message is not formatted correctly. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8009200D).” There are also reports of some file-size discrepancies which could be linked to this problem. Bethesda says it is aware of the issue and is looking into it.

Since there are apparently no problems with the Xbox 360 version, some are suggesting that the blame probably lies on the GFW authentication side. Even so, they really should test these things more thoroughly next time.

yukka said:
They should have a word with Valve about how to release DLC.
burty117 said:
That is true! They are the best for bringing out updates! TF2 and L4D to name a few! and they always work properly and i've also noticed that if there is a few bugs or problems then Valve sort it out within 2 days! awsome stuff. maybe they should talk to valve? you know, so they can release it trough steam? then updating it will be easyer. i don't own the game (yet) but i plan to soon.
Soul Harvester said:
What a disappointment. It's almost funny, really, how Bethesda can produce such amazing products and yet manage to screw them up so badly with showstopping bugs. I mean, you take a look at any Bethesda title and it's obvious they have a lot of developer talent. Then you look at the same game post-release and you wonder if their QA team is on permanent vacation. It's been the case for Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and now Fallout 3. Each of which, in their own right, are impressive and outstanding games. And yet, each of them was marred by incredibly frustrating bugs, many of which they ultimately left up to fans to fix.
TomSEA said:
I second everyone's comments. Valve has it down to a science with Steam. That Windows Live client is a frickin' nightmare. It agitates me to no end that I have to wrestle with that just to get updates and DLC content that is auto-pilot with Steam.And it is amazing how Bethesda cranks out top-of-the-line, award winning games and then fails miserably at the small stuff. I don't know who is in charge of their QA department, but guess what - they're not doing their job.
captain828 said:
[b]Originally posted by Soul Harvester:[/b][quote]What a disappointment. It's been the case for Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and now Fallout 3. Each of which, in their own right, are impressive and outstanding games. And yet, each of them was marred by incredibly frustrating bugs, many of which they ultimately left up to fans to fix.[/quote]Know I don't know about Daggerfall, since I haven't played it, but Morrowind and Oblivion had NOWHERE near the crap that F3 has.I actually can't play F3 anymore because of a stupid bug that makes the game crash on me all the time if I try to enter the plaza district (or whatever it's called), so I'm basically stuck.Plus a lot of other crappy things like not being able to complete a certain mission or the occasional jerky AI.Tried all the tricks and patches possible... no way I could continue. Sure, I finished the game in the end, but still wanted to wander around, but not with these bugs.I *might* try it later again, like I've done with STALKER, another great atmospheric RPG plagued with bugs.
Soul Harvester said:
[quote][b]Originally posted by captain828:[/b]Know I don't know about Daggerfall, since I haven't played it, but Morrowind and Oblivion had NOWHERE near the crap that F3 has.I actually can't play F3 anymore because of a stupid bug that makes the game crash on me all the time if I try to enter the plaza district (or whatever it's called), so I'm basically stuck.Plus a lot of other crappy things like not being able to complete a certain mission or the occasional jerky AI.Tried all the tricks and patches possible... no way I could continue. Sure, I finished the game in the end, but still wanted to wander around, but not with these bugs.I *might* try it later again, like I've done with STALKER, another great atmospheric RPG plagued with bugs. [/quote]Daggerfall and Morrowind both had severe bug issues following release. Daggerfall was the worst, though Morrowind was definitely not bug-free.I had surprisingly few problems with Fallout 3 at first. Once they started releasing DLC for it though, it was nothing but nightmares.