Micron intros "industry's fastest" SSD, uses SATA 6Gb/s

By on December 2, 2009, 4:30 PM
Micron has announced the "industry's fastest" SSD, with about 50% better data transfer speeds than today's best consumer-grade flash drives. The company's RealSSD C300 is the first to embrace the SATA 6Gb/s and Open NAND Flash Interface (ONFI) 2.1 specifications, allowing it to deliver sequential read speeds of up to 355MB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 215MB/s. The drive also represents Micron's first 34nm product, increasing the NAND flash chip density over its previous 50nm technology.

By comparison, OCZ's Agility EX -- a high-end SLC-based SSD -- has a peak read rate of 255MB/s and max write speed of 195MB/s. Another industry leading drive, Intel's X25-M, is said to offer a top sequential read and write speeds of 230MB/s and 100MB/s .

Micron's RealSSD C300 drives use MLC NAND flash memory, and will come in 1.8" and 2.5" form factors -- both of which will be available in 128GB and 256GB capacities. Volume pricing will start at $350 and $715 in quantities larger than 1,000 units, and the C300 should ship in the first quarter of 2010.

Catch a performance demonstration after the break.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well it looks like SATA 3.0 is finally going to be needed, can't wait to see what kind of speeds can we expect to see in a couple years? Boot speed was rather fast, the HDD one was pathetic.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just did a similar file transfer test using a 1.25 Folder full of pictures from my RAID array to one of my other HDDs and had a flash transfer speed of 857MB/second, after that it dropped to 400MB/s and then it was done. I can only imagine the kinds of ridiculousness can be obtained when RAID'ing a couple of these drives.

PS. I'm running RAID 0 on two WD 640GB Blacks

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Use a larger data set to get more accurate numbers Adhmuz - you can't possibly reach even 400 MB/s with only 2 spindles. Try using a single large file like an iso or zip/rar to get your best possible real numbers. Using bonnie++ I can only sustain 339 MB/s with 6 spindles and haven't benched again since adding a 7th in my array, but I wouldn't expect to surpass 400 even with my setup.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The windows boot time on that machine was incredible. It would be great to see a benchmark of these drives comparing SATA 2.0 and 3.0.

Deso said:

The speed difference I saw in the videos does in no way what so ever justify 5-10x the price.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Does not justify the price to *you*.

Serag said:

Apart from everything else covered in last and upcoming comments..

It's been a while since the last time I saw a demo of SSD working..so im like "wow"..while watching the vid..

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hope they keep pushing the envelope on SSD drives and people with more money that i have keep buying them so that the price comes down ;-)

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i knew SSD's were fast but man that boot up time was sick. i would think that 2 of those in raid 0 would be beyond faster than anything i could ever hope for. the prices of ssd's have come down alot since there release and i for one like that.

Regenweald said:

I look forward to when I can afford the bad boys....Imagine just a year ago, micron had 1000+ offerings in this tech segment....

Rapidhic said:

..Imagine everything games, heavy apps without even showing a loading screen or "Please Wait!".

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Nice... I was looking for a new SATA drive to add on to my computer, maybe I will get this

Moltar said:

BENCHMARK!!!!! I want to see benchmarks on these things. Techspot.com can you help a brother out?

Interesting figures quoted for the opposition, given SATAII 128GB MLC drives with Indilinx and Samsung controllers tend to return read/write mb/s figures around 230-250/180-200. Sure the 64GB drives write at around 100mb/s but hey, Micron are releasing 128GB and 256GB drives here so how about comparing apples with something resembling apples.

saintbodhisatva said:

I can't seem to load the video. Im not sure if it was mentioned, but was the "industry's fasterst" monicker due to the fact that is uses Sata 6Gb or because of its read and write speeds? If its due to the Sata, then the drive itself isn't the fastest but just the adoption of the Sata. But i guess this statement says enough about its R/W potential: "allowing it to deliver sequential read speeds of up to 355MB/s and sequential write speeds of up to 215MB/s". Doesn't seem to be the industry's fastest though.

WakeMO said:

I dont know if this is such a big deal. The price is still outrageous

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

@saintbodhisatva: The video is loading fine for me. Is anyone else having trouble?

I believe Micron is calling the drive the "industry's fastest" due to its actual performance, and not simply because it uses SATA 6Gb/s.

mailpup mailpup said:

I think in the demo he said the drive was throttled down to 3Gb/s to make a more fair comparison.

ken777 said:

It looks pretty impressive, but still not fast enough or cheap enough to get me to upgrade yet. I'll wait for SATA 6Gb/s to be integrated into the next gen Intel or AMD chipsets.

saintbodhisatva said:

Matthew said:

Thanks for the data. oh, and now worries about the video, the problem is likely just on my end.

ununpentium said:

Wow! Small and fast... About time too! Rotating-drives have been one of the main bottleneck in computer history... Our ear have heard more HDD squeaks than our girls' complaints... awful record!

with Sata 6Gb/s SSDs can release their potential...

I'd like to see a small but fast SSD in each computer become a standard; for example, like the integrated audio in modern motherboards...

More and more small and fast... very good.

Puiu Puiu said:

I wish i had the money to these SSD's in raid. It would be like i upgraded my computer with 2 or 3 quad cores ^_^

lfg18 said:

Wow that thing is really fast, I'm definitely adding an SSD to my Christmas letter to Santa because for $700 I don't think I'm goint to be able to buy it.

You can get this tipe of storage devices with certain laptops and PC but they are still expensive in this moment, I'm personaly waiting for USB 3.0 to be integrated in a laptop with Corei 7 and SSD to get a new laptop, I guess my old HP will have to wait longer for it's retirement.

TechDisciple said:

Am looking to get one of does babys as soon as they come out.

timljh said:

looking forward for it to comes close to affordable level =P

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

nice, yet the price is still high, but for some geek like me, it's always value for money. the technology goes so fast that i'm not even sure there's an SSD that is 'finished' yet. the transfer rate mentioned here in some comments leaves me in AWE

cheers!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For the same price as one of these Micron drives you could get several OCZ or Intel drives and RAID0 them and they will be much faster.

Razerblade said:

I've been thinking of getting an SSD for my PC, but I think I will wait until these are available, Some very good specs there!

manintech said:

With SSDs, price is still a major problem. I believe most users would still choose the normal hard drives.

LightHeart said:

Of course an SSD (solid state) is much faster than a HD (physical movement), the real comparison should be against a another SSD. We will all be buying SSD's as soon the price/GB comes down to a reasonable price.

fref said:

The speed of these new generation SSDs is definitely interesting, and this one appears to be even better than the Intel X25-m. However, price is still quite high, so I think I'll wait a year or two before going the SSD way. I'm sure prices will be much better then since SSDs will be more popular items than they are today.

BlackIrish said:

The video is working fine here - btw, it was really cool to watch! Got me much more interested in SSD's.

ColdPreacher said:

Ya only time will allow these SSD's to become more ethical in buying one for a home PC or average user. Also i can see these SSD's becoming much faster then those velociraptors.

claycc said:

I would love to get my hands on one of those but I would probably have to sell my kidneys (and maybe a few other vital organs) to pay for it.

buttus said:

Wow. We are finally seeing some of the speed that SSD's tech has promised for 2 years now. Boot times would be miniscule indeed.

drasho said:

hehe the speed is pretty good...

cant wait for hte price to go down a little bit ^_^

AbsolutGaloot said:

The performance is awesome, but dang that's a premium to pay for it

ryan29121 said:

Solid States seem really nice, but they are ridiculously overpriced. Unless you are incredibly rich, they are too out of reach.

Hereimiz said:

i can't wait for this tech to become affordable

Deso said:

Does not justify the price to *you*.

Touche !! :P

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

all i know is that if i had 2 of these in raid 0 all my worries and waiting for stuff to load would be over i mean look at how fast it was loading windows that was insane. I use photoshop a lot so i liked how much faster it loaded the pictures this would be a great buy if i didnt have to sell a kidney just to own one of them.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I won't be buying it at that price but in a few years, heck yeah. The prices of all SSD's have dropped a lot so I don't expect it to be too long before this drive is more affordable.

Zeromus said:

DAMN I too wants one! And I'll buy hundreds of them give some the people in this article! So that happy people can be happy people :

levar said:

Thats pretty fast. Todays HDD are pretty slow imo SSDs are the thing now I'm quite fed up waiting on almost 1TB of files to go on my external.. .took about a couple hrs if I can remember correctly thats quite slow in todays fast pace world. When will we lose the SATA and move PCs to SSD too I want to see when that day comes.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

How big is it? I want size AND performance. So far Raiding four or so 2TB drives is really, really fast and has enormous capacity.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

it would take 4 to 6 WD raptors in raid just to hit around the same speeds this SSD has which would actually cost more than just getting the SSD lol.

This doesn't seem much faster than the OCZ Vortex Turbo 120GB SSD's

(OCZSSD2-1VTXT120G) that are out right now.

Also how do these compare to the SanDisk ExtremeFFS SSD drives?

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

this is also running at 3gb instead of 6 like its meant to run at.