Enso launches $155 Android tablet, zenPad

By on March 22, 2010, 3:42 PM
Most tablets introduced in recent months have been relatively powerful and inherently expensive, but Enso has rolled out wallet-friendly alternative. The Android 1.6-based zenPad starts at a paltry $155, and has modest but seemingly adequate specs for basic use.

The zenPad features a five-inch, 800x480 LED-backlit screen, a 667MHz Samsung 6410 processor, 256MB of DDR RAM, 8GB of storage via microSD (supports up to 32GB), built-in Wi-Fi, and promises six hours of battery life. For $25 the slate can be outfitted with GPS, and another $35 will get you an external 3G dongle.

Granted, you won't be watching Avatar in HD, but for mobile Web browsing, emailing, or accessing documents, photos, and music, it's a low-cost solution. The zenPad is packed with earbuds as well as a stylus, and it's available to penny-pinchers everywhere through Enso's site or eBay (which seems to be a bit cheaper).

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

only $25 extra for GPS? Man, does anyone know if there is a good GPS enabled mapping/directions application for Android that doesn't rely on an internet connection? Most standalone GPS devices are more then this, and seem to offer much less flexibility. This really fits the bill of what i have been looking for!

flukeh said:

Slap an Apple logo on this and they could raise the price by more then double, AND sell probably twice more units.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

wow! that really is an impressive price if you add the 3G dongle and GPS!!! very very impressive! I've this funny feeling that apple may have won a big market share in smart phones and portable music but i don't think they're going to get the same for tablets.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

burty117 said:

Well at least other manufactures are not going to let them stand unchallenged for any length of time. Apple really needs to bring their A game for the their OS 4.0 update or i would agree that they are going to face some issues.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Might have found myself a nice tablet for service manuals, I'm curious how well it handles pdf's and how well the gps works.

seefizzle said:

I'd buy this over an ipad. Only thing it's missing is a camera.

sounds good except for usb?!?

Puiu Puiu said:

This is the type of tablet i was looking for. And the GPS is a nice extra for only 25$. When available in my country i'll buy one. (that's if no other better alternatives exist at that price point)

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I still don't understand why they call everything larger than a phone a tablet. I've always associated the word tablet with something about the size of a clipboard. This is pretty small. I have a smartphone, so I'm not going to take this out on the town with me, and when I'm at home, i'm never that far away from a computer.

This form factor will be most useful when using it for media, either video or reading. And a 5 inch screen is just too small for it. Seems like most of the 2010 crop of 'tablets' will be relegated to the same drawer where all our palm pilots sit.

megrawab said:

Would it be Pad Generation in the future... Seems there is battle of the Pads (or tablets)....

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

800x480 is just too low res. It's not really good enough for browsing or reading.

mkennedy823 said:

double the size, the resolution (and even the price) and you have a winner

The one time I might be able to use a netbook or tablet is while I'm on the elliptical machine at the gym. At work and home I'll have the PC, and the rest of the time my smartphone.

enso-now*com

No longer a registered user

Positive feedback: 88.9%

Feedback score: 25

Can only buy from their website now.

I ordered one but have not been able to communicate with Enso-Now. I got a payment confirmation but my email's concerning shipping, etc. have gone unanswered. Is this a real company with a product or am I out $240?

I emailed their info@enso-now.com email account, with a reply for my purchase. They said it would ship within a week or two from the day i purchased it so i have about one week left till i get my tracking number, until then i am sitting and waiting. It took them about 36 hours to email me back since the time zone difference being i am in the states. I hope this is not a front...

Please read here:

I think it is better NOT to send 240$ ?

C from europe

lexorcanada said:

Zenpad scam! Rip off! Dont order! I ordered i never received it! I read about it nobody received it! They collect the money only!

I sent my complain to paypal.

Beware!

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I'm sorry did i just read "stylus."

Anyone seen these on ebay now?

Google Android 7" Tablet being sold by lifeng sihai

looks like they were selling them before with WinCE5 (blah) but now have them with Android 1.6

going for around $200

2G NAND FLASH

Expansion of storage devices

TF card, Flash Drives

LCD display

7 "TFT touch screen, 800 - 480

Internet support

WIFI wireless Internet access to support

USB

110 or 240V Input, 9V DC Output, 2A

Product Size

199mm - 127mm - 18mm

Operating system

Google Android 1.6

Games\Applications

Download large quantity of applications and games

Editing tools

QUICKOFFICE

The feature of Google Android:

Browser comes with Flash Lite version 3.1 and supports playback of SWF contents up to Flash 9 and ActionScript 2.0.

Applications:

Attention:If the above mentioned applications are not built-in, they can be downloaded in the Market for free.

As long as you have registered or have a gmail account, by using the Market of Android, you can download large quantity of applications and games without paying.

They say there will be an upgrade to Android 2.1 available for a small fee too....

I just bought one for $198 including shipping....

do any one of you got this tablet in real after paying money online??

I will post as soon as I receive mine. I ordered the 7" Android tablet on ebay, not the zenpad...the zenpad is not supposed to ship until May 8th...

It's interesting that all of the devices ordered have the GPS function. I'm curious what they'll do if you don't order the GPS. I'd think it's harder to remove it at that point.

I ordered the item about 50 days ago and today I have not yet received.

To my email request, sent apologies hackneyed without specifying quandos pediranno this object.

Beware of this company!

-ITA-

Ho ordinato l'oggetto circa 50 giorni fa e ad oggi non l'ho ancora ricevuto.

Alle mie mail di richiesta, inviano scuse trite e ritrite senza specificarmi quandos pediranno questo oggetto.

Diffidate da questa azienda!