Razer launches mechanical gaming keyboard, BlackWidow

By on August 18, 2010, 7:17 PM
Razer has introduced the market's 'first' mechanical keyboard designed specifically for gaming. Like any mechanical keyboard (see our review of the Das Professional), the BlackWidow boasts superior tactile feedback, but its formula is a bit different. Razer claims that most competing products have stiff keys that tire fingers, making them a poor choice for gaming and that's why pros opt for membrane products.

The new creation solves that problem by reducing the vertical travel distance needed to register a keystroke. Keys are triggered at around the halfway mark. Additionally, the BlackWidow supposedly has one of the lightest actuation forces of any keyboard, so typing should be much faster than other mechanical keyboards -- all without sacrificing the clackity racket that'll drive your roommates crazy.

Other features include fully programmable keys with on-the-fly macro recording, 10 customizable profiles, five dedicated macro/gaming buttons, and common multimedia controls. The BlackWidow is currently listed in Razer's online store for $80 with an estimated ship date of September 21. A $130 "Ultimate" model adds a USB port, audio and mic jacks, and backlit keys with five levels of lighting.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

/want one

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I wasn't aware there was a demand for these.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Tekkaraiden said:

I wasn't aware there was a demand for these.

Tek, you mean gaming keyboards?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I'm in the market for a keyboard as we speak.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

No I mean gaming keyboards with a mechanical keys.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

No I mean gaming keyboards with a mechanical keys.

that made no sense.

From what I read its a reasonable application to a keyboard. Did you not read the article?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'm sooo clumsy typing, I'd probably shoot myself to death in the first FPS I tried.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Yes I did read the article, I was just curious as to why after releasing only membrane style keyboards they have decided to release a keyboard with mechanical keys like the old IBM keyboards. I was not criticizing their product I was just curious since mechanical keyboards tend to have stiffer tactile response.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

/cranky man down.

Right, and the article details how they accounted for the stiffness of their mechanical keyboard.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Like the idea of the mechanical action. Great for word processing and other non-gaming apps. $80 for a non-backlit gaming kb vs. $70 for G15 might be a hard sell, and an extra $50 for backlighting and USB seems mighty steep.

Most keyboard USB pass throughs are 1.1 spec, is this model any different?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I prefer ergonomic keyboards, but might be interested in this. I already type 110wpm - be curious if I could bump up my speed any with it.

I think that the who wrote this article should do a bit more recearch. He says that Razer released the first mechanical keyboard for gaming ...

... and how about STEELSERIES 7G ???

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

... and how about STEELSERIES 7G ???

I think its the companies first version of the type of keyboard.

He clearly says:

"Razer has introduced the market's first

mechanical keyboard designed specifically for

gaming."

Market!

I know its Razer's first mechanical keyboard. But he says market, and that's incorrect. Besides Steelseries I think that there are at least other 2 mechanical keyboards.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

Interesting keyboard. It looks like it'll suit gamers well but I'll with my Logitech Wave Corded keyboards. I've never been big on gaming keyboards anyway.

Lurker101 said:

There may be other mechanical keyboards, but how many of those are really purpose built specifically for intense gaming? Mechanical keyswitch keyboards are a big thing in todays market and it's about time one was made available without gamers having to sacrifice functionality.

waiting to see some reviews on this one, Steelseries 7G uses Cherry Black switches, they require 60G and are linear.

This video helps a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDv5eWB9lU

princeton princeton said:

Also I'm sorry but for that keyboards ultimate edition the price is much too high. At 130 bucks the logitech G510 is far superior.

bandit8623 said:

steel-series is a gaming company the 7g is made for gaming. the 7g is awesome. this article should be updated so the lies are fixed.

eelseries_7g

Name: SteelSeries 7G

Catagory: Gaming keyboard

Yup, pretty much says it all. I personally prefer any steelseries product over a razer product. All the mice I have ever owned that were razers fell apart way too quickly for my taste and their keyboards aren't much better.

Finally! A mechanical keyboard with backlighting AND other gaming features! I'm soooo getting this. :D

The price doesn't bother me so much, as mechanical keyboard are generally expensive anyway, and this one has more features as far as I can tell.

@Princeton

That logitech hasn't got mechanical keys, so of course the razer will be more expensive. It's price is right IMO.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

What do you do with them?! Smash them around the room or something? or are the Steelseries actually made of steel? :P

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

If you read the press release (second link in the article), Razer states that other mechanical keyboards aren't necessarily designed for gaming, they're just standard mechanical keyboards "rebadged" as gaming keyboards. Anyway, let's not argue semantics guys.

Most mechanical keyboards in the market today are standard mechanical keyboards rebadged as gaming keyboards that feature stiff keys that cause key actuation fatigue. Such keyboards are inherently worse off for gamers as it actually decreases gameplay performance as opposed to enhancing it. As a result, most professional gamers eschew such marketing gimmicks for regular membrane keyboards.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Instead of semantics, let's discuss psycho-physiology. The action of pressing a key to type is not independent of of the "key presser's" emotional state. A relaxed individual is likely to press softly, whereas an individual in a highly charged emotional or agitated state, is likely to press harder, more rapidly, and more emphatically.

The result of this is, an individual will have a state based memory of the relative ease or difficulty of the activity in question.

What this all means, boys and girls, and those who would have us believe otherwise, is that in this instance, you really would have to try it in a gaming context, to find out if you like it.