WOF: What's your favorite 'geek' movie of all time?

By on August 27, 2010, 7:23 PM
[Weekend Open Forum] The last couple of decades have brought about a number of movies that in one way or another try to capture geek psychology and culture. We've seen everything from the hilariously misconceived hacker that can get into any computer by frantically typing random commands until the words 'access granted' appear on-screen (I'm looking at you Hugh Jackman), to a few gems that hit closer to the mark of portraying what it's like to be a geek or an outsider.

Our question for you today is simple: What's your favorite geek movie of all time? It doesn't need to be strictly related to computers -- fans of science fiction, comedy, fantasy, superhero, documentary or whatever genres are welcome. A few examples to get you started: Sneakers, Pirates of Silicon Valley, and Office Space.

I have few on my list

"HACKERS"

both "TOMB RAIDER MOVIES"

"sky captain and the world of tomorrow"

ok there is a couple of running themes in these choices I made

there about computers have computer characters or the whole movie is made by computers. and there is one last theme

ya ya I know but she is a goddess

"Angelina Jolie"

gadzooks64 said:

Darkshadoe said:

Real Genius

+1, I loved Real Genius!

It is surprisingly accurate, for me at least he he

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Hmmm hard to tell, I liked Pirates of Silicon Valley quite a bit but it's not one of my favorite movies. Sci-fi movies in general usually don't make it into my all time favorites, but memorable films that fall into the geeky category include Hackers, Star Wars, Bladerunner and The Matrix (only the first one).

LordAnarchy said:

Wargames, FTW. It's all about WOPR and Global Thermonuclear Warfare...

TRON, lame.

Revenge of the nerds, blah.

Hackers is on the list.. Yes, hacking is EXACTLY like that movie Plus, its just funny to see all those actors now.. Angelina Jolie, Johnny Lee Miller, Fisher Stevens, and Matthew Lillard.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i don't have any fav of the genre, but just looking at the presentation & seeing it so often in movies, it made me LOL.

cheers!

Timonius Timonius said:

gadzooks64 said:

Darkshadoe said:

Real Genius

+1, I loved Real Genius!

Me too! And Star Wars!

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Terrific weekly topic - props to whoever came up with this.

BUT obviously, it's a tie between two movies - Blade Runner and Tron.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Terrific weekly topic - props to whoever came up with this.

BUT obviously, it's a tie between two movies - Blade Runner and Tron.

...Blade runner was not a geek movie Tom! :p

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

...Blade runner was not a geek movie Tom! :p

True, and also...

Brazil > Dark City> Blade Runner.

Otaku No Video is a geek movie.

Die hard iv

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

...Blade runner was not a geek movie Tom! :p

I think someone just doesnt want to have the geek factor.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

American Pie....Great film

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I think we've somehow confused "geek movies" with "movies with a geek audience".

With that concept stated and in force, then "Avatar" would have to be the biggest "geek movie" of all time. (In addition to being the biggest grossing movie of all time). Universal appeal doesn't necessarily disqualify it, does it?

The truest verbatim definition of a "geek movie" would go to "Real Genius", which I think contains a tiny grain of truth regarding the sophisticated, intellectual practical jokes being played at those schools.

Anyway, I don't really believe that liking "Star Trek" automatically qualifies you as a "geek". However, going to the conventions, and believing that s*** is possible, does.

Leeky Leeky said:

Its not geek as such, but definitely an "outsider" movie...

A beautiful mind.

Its one of my all time favourite films for many reasons.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Well there are stun guns. Don't see any phaser guns yet.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"Oh Brave New World"

Well there are stun guns. Don't see any phaser guns yet.
Meh, phasers maybe.

But, when I can say, "beam me up", without having my eyeball looking out of my a** when it's over, then I'll believe it.

grvalderrama said:

the first and the second matrix. Maybe Eagle Eye... its good one too.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Transformers or Stargate yet (or maybe they have and I just missed it. Sneakers is one of my all time favorite geek movies.

@grvalderrama - Eagle Eye wasn't a geek movie.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Gotta go with Office Space.

"PCLOADLETTER! WTF does that mean?!"

War Games and of course 2001: a Space Odyssey

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Anyone seen "Primer?" Probably the most confusing movie ever written, but it was pretty good, once you understand it, and definitely a geek movie.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I still think that everybody's confusing movies that are popular with geeks, and geek movies.

As I said before, using the current criterion in applying the term "geek movie", "Avatar" would have to be the biggest geek movie of all time. I mean really, boys and girls, it's almost frame for frame ripped from "Fern Gully", an animated feature with ecology as a central theme. Oh, and there's also the little thing about displacing the native population. Social conscience raised to an interplanetary scale, that's geeky, no doubt about it.

You'll have to excuse me now, I have to go hug a tree three solar systems away.

Oh, there's also the comic book fantasy of assuming a much more powerful alter ego, when confronted with a personal feeling of inadequacy. That's textbook geek.

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

Dark City, Tron, Real Genius, 2001: A Space Oddysey & its low-budget sequel, Hackers, The Matrix series, Ghost In The Shell, Pi, eXistenZ, Minority Report, Appleseed, Cypher, A Scanner Darkly & Akira are a few that come to mind.

I don't quite consider Star Wars being a geek movie. Sure, it'd fit the Star Wars universe as a whole, but not the movies per se.

Primer was amazing! The shoestring budget isn't that evident, and the story and direction are astounding, to say the least. I needed to watch it at least 3 times before I started understanding what was going on.

pgcharlie said:

well has anybody mentioned The Italian Job yet.. its one of my favorites likewise snearkers, hackers, n many more..

topcoach said:

My favourite movie is The Matrix, since it seems very probable to me that we do live in a simulator (look up "digital physics" to see the growing number of physicists who have come to this conclusion).

EROCK3 said:

How about DUNE. I even have the crappy Sci Fi channel remake.

Definitely Real Genius and Office Space.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

Starship Troopers

tragicallyhip said:

The original Andromeda Strain

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Rage, what is an "Ewok", if not a fur geek? And lest we forget, Cee 3Pio.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Well if we are going to open the category up like that....Event Horizon!

Best Sci-fi space horror ever!

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

red1776 said:

Well if we are going to open the category up like that....Event Horizon!

Best Sci-fi space horror ever!

Ah, but who could forget 2001: A Space Odyssey? Or maybe 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'? Those are both up there near the top as well

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I forgot about 2001 and HAL

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Actually, I suppose that "Kick a**" could be considered a geek movie. At least to the extent that all social outcast, coming of age, teen oriented, social misfit genre movies, are aimed at those of us who could be deemed , "geek worthy".

I waiting for somebody to jump in and offer a definition of the term, "geek", so we could argue about that for a while.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

The wind up...and the pitch...

It's a guy in medieval times in a hole who bit the heads of chickens man!:p There...I hope you're happy now!

LookinAround LookinAround, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

How about a movie about geeks??! Weird Science by John Hughes. I always laughed

Geeks with their Frankenstein-ish creation of Kelly Le Brock as their perfect woman. "She's alive!"

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

How about a movie about geeks??! Weird Science by John Hughes. I always laughed

"How bout a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

That was Kelley Brockman Lookin?

LookinAround LookinAround, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"How bout a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

That was Kelley Brockman Lookin?

HaHa. I think Bill Paxton in the movie had some of the best lines

Hmmm.. i can't insert images but Kelly LeBrock in Weird Science as she first appeared after being "created" by the geeks

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

Event Horizon was creepy; the whole thing Sam Neill had going on with his eyes was freaky!

As for the Matrix, has anyone seen The Thirteenth Floor? It had a very similar concept that was also a tad more interesting IMHO.

LookinAround LookinAround, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"How bout a greasy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray?"

That was Kelley Brockman Lookin?

OK. I had to go find it.. but another funny Bill Paxton line from the movie (the brother talking to the two "geeks" "You two donkey-dicks couldn't get laid in a morgue."

Mystery Science Theater 3000. The movie and the series.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wow, am I out of touch, I thought that was Courtney Cox

It's a guy in medieval times in a hole who bit the heads of chickens man!There...I hope you're happy now!
I thought it was somebody who farts in the bathtub and bites the bubbles. No wait, that's a "Gorp"......

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

KhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaAAnnnNnnnn!

lpmjames lpmjames said:

PanicX said:

Gotta go with Office Space.

"PCLOADLETTER! WTF does that mean?!"

all time favorite... i cant believe its not on more peoples list... i swear.. ill burn this place down...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

KhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaAAnnnNnnnn!

Nope, The scene on the Genesis planet where Kirk kicks Christopher Lloyd of a cliff saying, "I HAVE ...HAD...ENOUGH.... OF YOU....!!! Man, that's the defining moment in Shattner's careen..! Oops, I meant career.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Don't be picking on Bill. Ever see Boston Legal? now that is some master thespianism.

maestromasada said:

It would be good to have a movie-mix of Tron, Star Wars and Space Oddissey, plus a bit of vamparies touch to give it 'colour'. Ah! and an alien-predator type would be just the top of the cake. Has anybody hear of such a movie?? :-))

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

You may need to scour the cutting-room floor to find a movie with all those plot devices. Maybe Lifeforce comes close. If you're willing to substitute Austria for deep space and bad music for the sentient computer there's always this

I'd say... National Treasure.. :)