Microsoft releases SP1 RC for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2

By on October 26, 2010, 3:15 PM
Microsoft today released Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate (RC) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. As you can see over at Microsoft.com, the 32-bit installer is 514.7MB in size while the 64-bit installer is 865.4MB.

Microsoft started testing SP1 seven months ago and a public beta was released in July 2010. The final release of SP1 is expected to arrive during the first quarter of 2011. Microsoft provides service packs for free to bring their OS up to speed with all of the latest security patches and bug fixes, provided that you have a genuine copy of Windows.

For Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1 will add two new features that directly affect Microsoft's desktop virtualization platform: Microsoft Dynamic Memory and Microsoft RemoteFX. The former gives on-the-fly control of a virtual machine's memory while the latter provides a virtualized 3D graphical experience for remote users. For Windows 7, SP1 includes only minor updates: mostly hotfixes already delivered through Windows Update. SP1 will, however, feature an updated Remote Desktop client that takes advantage of RemoteFX introduced Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I think this part:

Microsoft Dynamic Memory and Microsoft RemoteFX. The former provides a virtualized 3D graphical experience for remote users while the latter gives on-the-fly control of a virtual machine's memory

is backwards.

sMILEY4ever said:

Windows 7 sp1 is good news to all those who don't update their windows.

bugejakurt said:

Will Windows 7 SP1 provide speed improvements? Other than the usual bug fixes?

princeton princeton said:

bugejakurt said:

Will Windows 7 SP1 provide speed improvements? Other than the usual bug fixes?

If win7 is slow on your machine you need to upgrade. By todays standards it runs great on any system.

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

good news yes but i'll never update to RC version

maybe to the final release after a week or two from the release and after few reviews lol

better safe than sorry :P

frodough said:

great news most definitely. i am looking forward to the WHS: Vail though. this should only get better! even my old dell xps laptop handles W7 like a champ. my wife loves it!

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

i would love to test this but i don't want it causing any problems. I will wait until the final release.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Windows 7 SP1 seems really nice but is it actually needed? seems like something they could just release gradually imo.

bioflex said:

dustin_ds3000 said:

i would love to test this but i don't want it causing and problems. I will wait until the final release.

thats the best choice u can make....unless u are the kind that loves to get their hands of new stuff early...u know.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

None of the new features seem to offer anything new that I would use, and the hotfixes are already on my PC. Funny that I had to validate my Windows before getting to look at the release notes, lol.

dmoore44 said:

That's all? Doesn't seem like much on the Win7 side... but the Server 2K8 improvements could be helpful for those that use Hyper V as their hypervisor. My question though is this: how many datacenters actually use Hyper V over vmWare?

ElShotte ElShotte said:

No significant improvements, and as mentioned above, nothing but a single compilation of a bunch of bug fixes which are already installed anyway. Still downloading it, will install when I get into the office tomorrow, hopefully it won't break anything. Anyone update already?

Eddo22 said:

Good for the pirated versions who can't do normal updates. I no longer use such so the news is more or less meaningless.

Regenweald said:

I look forward to testing it. hoping it brings some performance optimizations, I actually have to downgrade an office workstation ( of meagre specs i'll admit) to Xp from 7 because of performance issues with the video card and CS5. It really just needs better hardware, but they don't want to pony up for it so the venerable XP it is

ruzveh said:

Will need to wait till Q1,2011 for it to comment :D

EDO219 said:

heh ... I just got this new build fully functional two hours ago, so I'll let you guys test SP1 first.

fadownjoo said:

princeton said:

bugejakurt said:

Will Windows 7 SP1 provide speed improvements? Other than the usual bug fixes?

..speed improvements are ALWAYS welcome, im running win 7 ultimate on my netbook, im able to use it for work and school, but it could be better.

Brodieeee said:

fadownjoo said:

princeton said:

bugejakurt said:

Will Windows 7 SP1 provide speed improvements? Other than the usual bug fixes?

I doubt it will improve the speeds of your netbook, unless you're suffering from these bugs that W7 SP1 if fixing of course

XnaX said:

Yay for still using the crappiest OS ever made! (still usin Vista )

j05hh j05hh said:

xnax said:

Yay for still using the crappiest OS ever made! (still usin Vista )

haha upgrade that os or downgrade to XP

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Yeah seriously xnax, I can't believe you're running Vista. By far the crappiest OS ever...

uttaradhaka said:

Unlike XP, this service pack will be for the businesses mainly. Us home users are perfectly happy with Windows 7 proper.

windmill007 said:

Windows 7 works great in the business world too. Sp1 will bring nothing other than saving you from having to install all the security updates on a new install. I doubt it will bring any noticeable change.

windmill007 said:

brodieeee said:

fadownjoo said:

princeton said:

bugejakurt said:

Will Windows 7 SP1 provide speed improvements? Other than the usual bug fixes?

Get a SSD hard drive. Windows 7 has futuristic speed once you do that. No Service Pack is gonna save you from a slow hard drive or system. Windows 7 is so freaking fast for me

RebelFlag said:

xnax said:

Yay for still using the crappiest OS ever made! (still usin Vista )

I believe you are forgetting about the loosely related collection of bugs and blue screens sold as Windows ME.

pyari said:

its the best OS ever which M$ introduce....bugs....nothing is perfect....so let them fixed it....

matchu said:

no new features for windows7? sad =(

Razerblade said:

I'm fairly pleased with Windows 7, I keep it up to date. Not found any bugs on my work or home PC but maybe they will introduce some other features/improvements! Will install this as soon as it is properly released!

Nima304 said:

Really? I haven't seen a copy of Vista in a loooong time, it's a good thing businesses didn't adapt to it, or else we'd all be screwed.