Mozilla releases Firefox 4 Beta 8

By on December 21, 2010, 12:41 PM
Mozilla has released Firefox 4 Beta 8. The new beta build was originally intended as a quick update for the feature-complete Beta 7 release, but it turns out it's pretty significant as it includes 1415 bugfixes, an improved add-ons manager, better WebGL support, and enhancements to the URL bar.

The vast majority of the bug fixes are related to fine-tuning the core functionality and fixing stability problems. It's worth noting that Firefox Sync is now easier to set up, but you still need an e-mail address, a password, and a backup copy of a provided encryption key. For more information, check out the release notes.

If you're already running a previous beta of Firefox 4 you should see an automatic update soon. Alternatively, you can download Beta 8 directly for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux 32-bit/64-bit. The beta supports 57 languages.

Mozilla was originally planning on having Firefox 4 out by the end of the year, but it has had to delay the release till next year. Beta 8 was delayed till November 12, but clearly it didn't make the new deadline either. There's still a Beta 9 and a Beta 10 before we see the release candidate builds arrive, but all of those will hit in early 2011.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"Beta 8 was delayed till November 12, but clearly it didn't make the new deadline either. There's still a Beta 9 and a Beta 10 before we see the release candidate builds arrive, but all of those will hit in early 2011."

LOL...whatever happened to ONE beta test before release?

Leeky Leeky said:

whatever happened to ONE beta test before release?

Your not kidding, I've been hearing about FF4 for so long now I'm bored, and its still not even a release candidate!

I seriously hope its absolutely and utterly faultless upon its final release; any other reason is not a good enough excuse for the delay.

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

LOL...whatever happened to ONE beta test before release?

Well people complain that the new release with only one beta was too buggy, and now people complain that its not going to be buggy enough. tisk tisk

Uvindu said:

Hi!

You added an unneeded "of" in the sentence:

The new beta build [of] was originally intended as a quick update for the...

Just helping out!

at this rate, google chrome will come out with chrome 16.0 beta before mozilla releases ff4.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I haven't had many issues with Betas since # 2 I think, and using it as my main browser ....... I don't care when they will release the final version, as long as the betas keep coming fast arrrrrr getting fast I mean

@Guest

You can't compare Mozilla with Google really, difference in financial resources available to each of these entities are well out of this world to put it mildly.

QuaZulu QuaZulu said:

I'm getting a little tired of all the waiting until the "real thing" comes out...but, as has been stated, since I pay $0 for it I guess I can't complain too loudly.