Leaked: full Crysis 2 game, with multiplayer and master key

By on February 12, 2011, 10:25 AM
According to a thread on the Facepunch forums, titled "Crysis 2, leaked 49 days early," Crysis 2 has been leaked. The download contains the full game (the campaign is reportedly playable from start to finish) and multiplayer support (the master key for online authentication is supposedly included).

The game will still see a multi-platform release on March 22, 2011 in the United States and March 25, 2011 in Europe. Given how close we are to the game's release, the leaked build could be almost finished. Crytek has said that the game has the best graphics you've ever seen but that it will be graphically superior on the PC. The company will be undoubtedly less inclined to support the PC platform after a fiasco like this one. The game's developers are trying to save face by saying the leak is a still a development build.

"Crytek has been alerted that an early incomplete, unfinished build of Crysis 2 has appeared on Torrent sites," an EA spokesperson said in a statement. "Crytek and EA are deeply disappointed by the news. We encourage fans to support the game and the development team by waiting and purchasing the final, polished game on March 22. Crysis 2 is still in development and promises to be the ultimate action blockbuster as the series' signature Nanosuit lets you be the weapon as you defend NYC from an alien invasion. Piracy continues to damage the PC packaged goods market and the PC development community."

Crysis 2 was announced for the PC, Xbox 360, and the PS3 way back in June 2009. Since then, we've seen screenshots, teaser trailers, gameplay footage, and even delays. This, however, takes the cake. The news that there will be a Crysis 2 demo for PC is almost redundant now.

Yeah, this really sucks, Crysis is a very costly game and crytek isn't a huge company, but IMO the people than were going to buy the game will end buying it no matter if the torrent appear one year before or one year after the oficial game. Well, they are going to losse at least a couple millions.

Xero07 said:

Yes, wait and buy the game. PC games need all the support they can get and its rare now to see the PC being the center of focus.

mrmelty said:

I'll be waiting for the game but it is tempting.

venomblade said:

this seriously is the best game i've ever seen. Nothing about it makes you think it's a game, it literally is an interactive movie, damn they've did it again

venomblade said:

best looking game*

Bah.....I'll wait until a couple months after the game is released anyways to purchase it. I mean with the quality of "FINISHED" pc games companies are releasing these days, I can only imagine how many issues a leaked game will have.

For instance I reacently purchased NFS:HP from EA no less, and while I have enjoyed the game from an objective standpoint, to a normal gamer it is complete rubish. The game wouldn't even run at launch on quad core pc's, then they "patched it" and it ran, but at worse than console framerates, they patched it again, without addressing the framerate issue, and now the multiplayer is so fragmented by version incompatabilities since the retail version doesn't auto-update that it is difficult to get a good race going. Usually only one class of cars in one race type has a good group going....if you're lucky. All in all a crappy gaming experience.

Jurassic4096 said:

I saw a Crysis 2 Beta torrent last night. the comments say it is very buggy and has some missing textures. i will buy the game if the multiplayer is AWESOME!!!! and don't forget the DLC!!!!

the PS3 is under attack by hackers the Xbox 360 has some of the same problems and the PC has always been under hackers thumbs

The gaming industry has always been under attack because if you publish game for money there will always be someone out there saying its too much even if you sell it for a single penny there will be someone saying "why is it not free"

D.R.M. is crap we must change the way we authenticate the game but the users there computers or gaming consoles and the network there on

this way no one can have identical systems and fake everything

they maybe able to copy the game and fake key codes and master keys faking an I.S.P. well this will get you serious jail time in most countries.

we also must change multiplayer to the point of if you want to play online you must pay per user per hour say one dollar per hour of play no more free to play on line stuff anywhere

downloading as i type ..... for researching purposes only ..... im going to buy it even if its buggy because this is just a "demo"

I believe that this wouldn't have been such a fiasco if they released a demo for PC.

Mushroom said:

didn't they learn from halo being leaked early? they're going to bring down the hammer HARD on anyone who gets their mitts on a leaked triple A title.

hassaan said:

This is bad indeed for PC gaming

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Oh my, this is bad for PC Gaming

I feel so sorry for Crytek, all that hard work and someone has to do this, just meh!

I really hope that the game will sell great anyway, otherwise I'm not sure how likely we are to see a sequel released for PC?

I'm still buying it anyway!

It's because of ****** like whoever leaked it that we can't have nice things for PC. GJ

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I agree this is bad, but let's also hope Crytek doesn't use this as the perfect excuse to remove support from the PC platform as they have somewhat intended already.

Everybody would have been happier if they had released a demo for the Xbox and the PC in tandem, or at least closely together, but no, they remained silent for a while and went for the easy money instead. Who cares if an early PC demo is somewhat buggy if they state so upfront. Does anybody remember id's Quake test teasers? Those worked extremely well for troubleshooting and promotional purposes.

yRaz yRaz said:

I guess I'm gonna have to buy the game now, even if it is $60. Although, I hope the appreciate all the people that go out and buy the game.

Alster37 Alster37 said:

I agree completely, piracy has ruined the PC platform and if it continues then we may loose what little support the PC platform has from developers.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Leaked? By whom? Someone working at the company?

Just as much as the MPAA would like us to believe that its people with camcorders in movie theatres that are responsible for piracy, in reality its people working in the industry that release full working copies, or screeners.

So EA/Crytek either needs to beef up its security, or be more careful as to who they give copies of this game to.

Wouldn't even put it past EA as being deliberate in order to justify moving away from the PC.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

This is not sad just for Crytek, this is sad for all PC gamers. We may not see many PC games from Crytek after this fiasco. It's sad, because the PC gaming industry is doing bad as it is right now.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

+1 Julio & gwail

I'm sure it is an insiders job, and what is perplexing that no body learns from such incidents happening again and again. Anyway, I am sure genuine buyers will buy it nonetheless disregarding this leaked/ pirated version.

Raswan Raswan said:

Even if I hadn't planned on it before, I'll be buying it now in part to show support for the PC platform. Don't lose the faith Crytek. PC gamers are infinitely cooler, more appreciative, and loyal than console gamers. Suck it xbox and ps3.

yowanvista yowanvista said:

Its just an internal buggy build, it does not even include DX11 mode

yRaz yRaz said:

yowanvista said:

Its just an internal buggy build, it does not even include DX11 mode

If that's true then it almost has to be an inside job. I have a hard time believing that DX 11 wouldn't be ready this close to launch. Only reason it wouldn't have that feature is someone didn't want to put out the whole game. The only people with the power to do that are.....

This was most definitely done by someone inside the company. They even do this in the music industry to get a feel on the market and anticipation of the product.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If they had in mind to remove PC support all together... wouldn't this be some sort of move to make it so?

I mean... how many times a last tech anounced and awaited game has been leaked? I find it rather odd and a bit hard to digest.

Cota Cota said:

how did it leaked?, oh yeah they probably let people get inside whit their USB's and all <_<'

princeton princeton said:

This is news to you guys? We've been discussing this on facepunch since early yesterday.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well, this will certainly kill any future PC game development by Crytek and possibly others. Unless it's an MMO or those cheezy Facebook games, I think within 3-5 years the only thing we can look forward to as PC gamers are shitty ports from XBox and PS3.

And I think you guys who believe this was done on purpose are some sort of seriously misguided. Crytek was absolutely furious after 4 million copies of Crysis were illegally downloaded and swore they would never develop for the PC again, but reconsidered after a year or two. These would be the last developers I'd expect to purposely release a game for promotional purposes.

When your game is being handled by well over a thousand development people - who are working on everything from music, to textures, to voice-overs - all it takes is one disgruntled simpleton who's Momma dropped them on their head at birth to put a copy on the Torrent sites. Just like the Wikileaks info. This isn't a Crytek conspiracy people - it's ONE person with a personal agenda who did this.

This totally sucks. But I'll be one of those legitimately buying a copy while millions of thieves are downloading it right now.

Jurassic4096 said:

the leak is where the investigation should start and finish. not torrent sites. stop giving your shit out. i mean how many copies do you have to give out to show how awesome it is? im sure even if you have 100 copies out there, put some heavy DRM on those copies. hmmm, think about that, if you cant watch over your own IP's, then how is that the fault of any downloader?

PS, make better games with awesome multiplayer and a steady flow of DLC and you will be very successful in the gaming biz. its hard to play online with a cracked copy... so make the multiplayer AWESOME, and people will BUY it!

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

And I think you guys who believe this was done on purpose some sort of seriously misguided. Crytek was absolutely furious after 4 million copies of Crysis were illegally downloaded and swore they would never develop for the PC again, but reconsidered after a year or two. These would be the last developers I'd expect to purposely release a game for promotional purposes.

When your game is being handled by well over a thousand development people - who are working on everything from music, to textures, to voice-overs - all it takes is one disgruntled ******* who's Momma dropped them on their head at birth to put a copy on the Torrent sites. Just like the Wikileaks info. This isn't a Crytek conspiracy people - it's ONE person with a personal agenda who did this.

More words of nonsense from TomSEA. Someone from Crytek leaked it. so don't blame the pirates for putting the game out there.

Afenix said:

Don't worry fellow pc gamers! I've recently downloaded the "leaked" version, and tried it out. At first it was glitchy, buggy, with no dialogue audio. It froze every time i watched an ingame movie, or tried to save/load a game. After a bit of tweaking i got it to run 1920x1080 on maximum settings (No DX11 support, only DX9, forcing not possible). Now waiting for the final version to come out and gonna buy it for the MP!

The gameplay is awesome! And for the DX9 graphics quality - it's just great! Can't wait to try it out with DX11!

I have a i7 920 @ 3ghz, 6gb ram and a hd 5870 - hardcore settings, 1920x1080 - 45fps lowest

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Yeah Princeton - we all know your true colors and mantra. It's always the developers fault, not the thieves fault. And if it can be stolen - you have it. Always refreshing to hear more of YOUR nonsense.

Leeky Leeky said:

+1 Julio & gwail

+1 on yours, Julio's and Gwail's comments.

I'll still be buying it. Tbh I could download it, but I'd rather wait for the finished product to arrive, and then enjoy it knowing its finished and "should" play awesome.

Besides, given the nuclear reactor grade power requirements of the previous game, its doubtful anything will play it yet anyway!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

gwailo247 said:

Leaked? By whom? Someone working at the company?

My thoughts exactly. How does something like happen? The full build with master key doesn't seem like something someone accidentally just posts online for all to take. And this will just add more fuel to the fire for Crytek to drop support for the PC even if they could have prevented this. I do feel bad for them and will definitely make sure I get this game day one to show my support.

TomSEA said:

Of course this was done on purpose, like you said yourself it only takes one disgruntled employee with an agenda to screw the pooch. I don't think anyone here or elsewhere thinks one of the Yerli brothers did this to themselves. It is very unfortunate that it happened, but a response to blame us PC gamers is just as misguided. People that didn't want to buy the game were going to download it no matter what, now they can just do it early. Maybe I'm being optimistic here but I believe the PC gamers who wanted this game to begin with will still buy it next month. Especially with positive comments regarding the leak at least from what I've read so far online, which might actually be a good thing for Crytek/EA.

Princeton said:

Clearly this is the only tech related site most of us get our news from...

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

That means so much coming from the guy who's stated piracy takes revenue away from developers because he doesn't get the difference between revenue and potential revenue. How about you go do something about it instead of whining about it on every piracy related article you see.

TomSEA

It was proven last year, in 2010, that Pirating doesnt make developers or any company lose money. They actually make more money because of the pirating.

So get your head of out of sand.

P.s.

The games runs fine, you just have to change few things in settings.cfg file.

And there is no weapons sound.

There are few places where AI will just stand there and do nothing.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

There are few places where AI will just stand there and do nothing.

Crysis 2 incorporates Wal-Mart employees into it's A-life?

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dividebyzero said:

There are few places where AI will just stand there and do nothing.

Crysis 2 incorporates Wal-Mart employees into it's A-life?

Heh, nice.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Good job Pirates, now that's just 1 more reason for developers to abandon PC gaming and leave consolized ports as scraps for the real PC gamers.

All though folks buying tri-sli GTX 580s or crossfire 6970s or whatever, what's the point anymore? Nothing will EVER take advantage of that hardware especially at this rate.

Lurker101 said:

sarcasm said:

Exactly. This is a very sad day in PC gaming. Possibly one of the final nails in the PC gaming coffin. Anyone wanting a gaming PC in a few years time will just have to buy a mid-range Dell.

yRaz yRaz said:

sarcasm said:

This is something that deeply saddens me. There really isn't a point anymore to lusting after great hardware. It was awesome back in the 7900GTX and X1950XTX days. Now the only thing people use highend graphics cards for is to crank up the AA. It's gotten to the point were we have to add more monitors to take advantage of all the power these things have. I wanted something the a 6950 or a gtx 570, but it looks like I'm just going to go with a 6850.

Johny47 said:

I loved the first Crysis and I still love the first Far Cry, Crytek made both these and they're a brilliant developer that pushes the PC past anything others do.

I haven't been gaming on PC that long but I'll be buying this game because I like Crytek's games and definately to support them, others should do the same, even if your impatient and download the free game you should still buy the game =P

DokkRokken said:

Interesting. I recall people furiously kvetching when Crysis debuted, and complaining that their hardware would have to be upgraded heavily to even get a decent game.

Now people are kvetching because the hardware has caught up, and even those with mid-line PC's can have enjoyable gameplay.

I don't understand why that's sad at all. It means we don't have to be nickel-and-dimed to get worthwhile gameplay. People got sick with upgrading their PC's, and went to consoles for the easier experience. Now that PC's have become so powerful in relation to the programs, it might mean that people will once again consider gaming with a PC, especially now that prices have come down for excellent hardware. That's good for ALL PC gamers.

@sarcasm

When your system runs at 10FPS at Ultra settings, you will wish your had Triple anything in your POS system. Why are you even reading PC news related website??

Hhow about you just go play tennis on Wii and leave the PC gaming to professionals.

yRaz yRaz said:

@sarcasm

He has a good system...One worthy of playing crysis 2. If your going to insult us at least make an account and do so directly.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Sounds like PC gamers got mad their game got put on console and decided to hack the game wide open in revenge.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This was CLEARLY leaked by someone from Crytek. All I have to say.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My thoughts are still the same, this has all been staged. Not anyone and everyone handle this sort of things and even if they do there are security measures.

If this was really just a disgruntled employee, SHAME on crytek, SHAME ON YOU! you and you alone must bare the shame and the "rage" since it is your damned fault... sorry but the only one who you could be pissed at is Crytek and the lame security measures they had.

Again, dont know what is so wrong about this like most have said piracy is known to boost sales, there are always people who wont buy the game at all so there is no loss there, BUT a lot of people will get the game even if they have downloaded it before (Some like to test drive games like this and see if they are worth spending the bucks, like some sort of demo) specially when there are multiplayer modes which require some sort of validation.

hamitaltintop22 said:

xclusiveitalian said:

I hope that is sarcasm. The likelihood of a hackers breaking into Crytek and taking the game is unlikely.