Samsung unveils Galaxy Tab 10.1, Galaxy S II

By on February 13, 2011, 3:30 PM
At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Samsung unveiled two new Android devices: the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, running Android 3.0 (codenamed Honeycomb), and the Samsung Galaxy S II, running Android 2.3 (codenamed Gingerbread). The two have been leaked over and over for days, but now we finally have the official details.

As its name suggests, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a 10.1" WXGA TFT LCD display (1280x800 resolution), powered by a 1GHz dual core application processor. The device only weighs 1.23 pounds (599 grams), and though it has a SIM slot, 3.5mm jack, BlueTooth 2.1, and Wi-Fi 802.11, it uses Samsung's proprietary charging cable and doesn't have USB or HDMI ports. It also includes dual surround-sound speakers, an 8MP rear-facing camera with Auto Focus which can capture 1080p video, a 2MP front-facing camera, and will be available in 16GB or 32GB flavors. Like its predecessor, it ships with Flash 10.1.

The 10.1 will be launching in March in both Asia and Europe, with Vodafone being the first carrier to have it, but Samsung has yet to reveal it timing for a North American launch. Pricing is a similar story, though it will supposedly be "competitive."

The Galaxy S II (Model: GT-I9100) is the world's thinnest phone at 8.49mm, taking the title from the 9.2mm LG Optimus Black. The device features a 4.27-inch Super AMOLED Plus display (800x480 resolution), an 8MP primary camera with 1080p video capture, and a 2MP camera in the front, as well as integrated NFC support on some versions. It features BlueTooth 3.0+HS, HSPA+ connectivity, and will come with four new content and entertainment hubs: music, games, e-reading, and social networking. Samsung has yet to announce release date or pricing details.

"As a leader in the Android-powered tablet market, Samsung is committed to providing a variety of feature-rich, always-on devices," DJ Lee, Executive Vice President and Head of Sales & Marketing, said in a statement. "The Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1 is a valuable addition to our expanding portfolio of smart media devices. Sporting a large 10.1 screen and dual surround-sound speakers, it enables users to enjoy multimedia to the maximum extent without having to compromise mobility."

"In 2011, we will take Samsung's leadership in Speed, Screen and Content to a whole new level," JK Shin, President and Head of Samsung's Mobile Communications Business, said in a statement. "With the GALAXY S II, Samsung wants to set the new standard of quality viewing on mobile, powerful performance, and slim and modern design. GALAXY S II is a natural and powerful evolution of GALAXY S. Building on the phenomenal success of the original Samsung GALAXY S, we are proud to unveil the ultimate smartphone. Consumers no longer have to contain themselves the Samsung GALAXY S II allows them to design their own smart lives."

princeton princeton said:

*sigh*. And I just got a galaxy S only two months ago.

Yeah, it's really a joke to me. I really would like to get a new phone as my Hero is too slow these days, but with the way support was dropped on it a few months after I purchased it so HTC could focus on the EVO and other phones, I'm sure the same will happen again. I am not going to shell out money for something then quickly be dropped from updates by the manufacturer again. Do these companies really expect people to purchase a new phone every couple months? Good luck to people waiting on updates until they slow this crap down.

I don't really like the idea of an 8 megapixel camera in a phone, without a proper lens mor MP just equal worse picture... :(

That's one of the advantages of the iPhone. While I think Apple's support for them is too short, it's much longer than most other phones.

I am sick tired of these gadgets(including Apple products) released every few months. Most of the time, you only use one device at a time. Besides, the more you use it, the more damaging done to the brain or fingers.

I just hope it is priced more "competitively" than the Xoom. I would really like an android tablet.

No Wi-Fi on the Galaxy II ????

aj_the_kidd said:

Whats wrong with having a wider choice in phones, it keeps it competitive IMO. You dont have to have the latest and greatest phone on the market, its your choice whether to buy them or not

No Wi-Fi on the Galaxy II ????

It does it just wasn't specified in the article, I guess its just assumed these days

" it uses Samsung's proprietary charging cable "

PDMI is an ANSI/CEA standard. It was developed with input from over 50 companies. It is neither Samsung's nor proprietary. At least do a simple wiki search before making such blatantly wrong statements. Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDMI

princeton princeton said:

I really dislike apple. But at least with the iphone I know the company won't stop supporting it or ship out a new device the next month. I'm really leaning towards the next iphone for when I can get my hardware upgrade.

This couldn't suck more - Samsung has dropped the ball and turned it into everything I don't like about the ipad: 10.1" size, the use of proprietary charging cable, that there is no usb or sd slot -

Big big fail here.

aj_the_kidd said:

Princeton said:

Yeah looking closely at the iPhone 5 myself, even though i dont like Apple. Going to try out a win7 phone in the mean time, i usually buy a new phone every 6 months so the timing of the iPhone 5 works for me

princeton princeton said:

aj_the_kidd said:

Princeton said:

EVERY 6 MONTHS? My cycle is every 1-2 years

princeton princeton said:

Big big fail here.

Technically as one guest showed us, it isn't a proprietary cable. The iphone uses what we would call a proprietary cable.

aj_the_kidd said:

Yep i know its silly, i get crap about it all the time

Christ. Mine is like every 6 years. I went from an LG flip phone to a Android G1 and I have no plans to upgrade for at least a few MORE years. It insane that people think they need the latest and greatest. My LG was in allot of way better than the G1 I have now. I use to have a Palm M500 to go with the LG flip phone which still to this day beats Android and iPhone devices for personal information management. I have adjusted to the G1. It does do something things better. For instance I don't have to pay for Internet from my cellular provider and I can still surf the web in most places with the wifi. Also the wifi lets me have a constant backup of my contacts and address book. I think most people don't really use a cell phone for anything important. If they did an iPhone would fail miserably.

princeton princeton said:

aj_the_kidd said:

Yep i know its silly, i get crap about it all the time

What do you do with all the old phones? We have this "charity" located in my basement where we need relatively new cell phones. Why don't you send me your old phones :P

aj_the_kidd said:

It insane that people think they need the latest and greatest.

Its not that i think i need the latest and greatest its because i CAN get the latest and greatest, so i do. Its my money, I've earned it, i can do i want with it, so if i want to buy a new phone it, I will.

Princeton said:

My old phones generally go to my sisters or are just lying around in my room somewhere..

Having started with a Galaxy S and seeing 'galaxical' delays in the promised update to 2.2, a GPS that barely works, an OTA update that bricked the phone requiring a return to samsung, monumental gobs of crapware that cannot be deleted without rooting ... no way in hell I'm going with samsung again on any other device (drop in a little tmobile bs and that's the whole package).

Oh, I love my Galaxy S, now with Froyo, I just wish I wasn't tied to Vodacrap for the next 19 months :-/

From the article...

Yeah, right??? Still waiting for 2.2 to be available for installation on the Telstra network here in Australia....

Samsung a leader in Android phones - what a JOKE!!!

My Verizon Galaxy S/Froyo was promised to run Froyo 'soon' when I swapped into it from a Droid X in September and I am still waiting. The GPS performance is still abysmal even with the new OS push from January and it sometimes freezes and cannot pick up a call. And it is pretty much bone stock, i.e. not loaded with any apps of suspicious origin. I know that I can spend some time playing with it to boot Froyo on it, but that is time I do not have.

I would not recommend anyone falling for any Samsung exec BS. Examine Samsung's track record with the original Galaxy S and ask yourself why Samsung would ever change its behavior with the newer version.

As far as people complaining that a new phone gets released after they bought an older version: I hope you're not thinking that the world should stop until you are ready to upgrade and then stop again until the new multi year contract runs out.

In my case I just wish that Samsung would actually support one of their more recent products, i.e. the Verizon Galaxy S/Facinate. I am sure that I am not alone.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Princeton said:

aj_the_kidd said:

Princeton said:

EVERY 6 MONTHS? My cycle is every 1-2 years

At least you do it between 1-2 years, I've been averaging about 2+ years

Guest # 20

I couldn't agree with you anymore about 'crapware', sad thing is I can't even root my cell due to ******* usb connection which doesn't work along with host of other issues. Had Google been bit more 'prudent' with the choice of hardware/specs of its Nexus S I would have tried going that route. Anyway, it is going to be a tie between whether I get a WP7 phone or iphone 5 (never really planned about going that way, but at least their support is better compared to all these Koreans).

I've been impatiently waiting for the next incarnation of the 7" Galaxy Tab because the only real problem i had with the first one was the somewhat clumsy software. In all other aspects i found the 7" to be a good compromise. It fits in my pocket like a pocket book, can be placed on the console of my car for navigation even made my 73+ year old mom discover and embrace the Internet. She loves the phone, because she still looks for numbers to dial. So i saved money over the last months to be prepared for what ever price tag Samsung might attach to the new device.

Now we get a 10.1" tablet that comes with - as far as i can see - no advantages over the other products on the market but with reduced functionality compared to its predecessor. I'm going to closely watch how the device evolves but based on the information in this article i can only say: What a disappointment.

aj_the_kidd said:

Yeah i liked the 7" screen as well, made it pretty portable. Definitely found the GPS very useful and it actually works, unlike my SGS which is flaky to say the least. Not impressed by the lack of SD card input, that's a bit of a fail if you ask me. Will have to wait on the price

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Princeton said:

aj_the_kidd said:

I usually buy a new phone every 6 months so the timing of the iPhone 5 works for me

EVERY 6 MONTHS? My cycle is every 1-2 years

EVERY 1-2 YEARS? My cycle is whenever the phone/phone battery dies (2-3+ years).

That Galaxy S II looks nice though...

At 7" it needs to undercut the iPad, so maybe $299 for a WiFi only and maybe $399 for a 3G or 4G capable version. For the 10" model they need to look at $499 for the WiFi only version, and maybe $599 for the 3G/4G model--at that's at the high end IMO. And of course as generations progress those prices need to come down by $50-100 a year if they're going to continue with the 6 month product cycles. "Off brand" tablets like the Archos will need to be even cheaper, which they've already demonstrated is possible with a $300 10" model. Once decent alternatives become more widespread HP and Apple will have no choice but to lower the ceiling on their non-flagship models. If the 7" Galaxy Tab is even made a year from now I expect it to be in the $199 range if they have any hope of it being competitive with what will be on the market, although this is HP and Apple we're talking about here so I'm not holding my breath.

The Samsung charging cable is _not_ PDMI it's proprietary, the Dell Streak uses PDMI. The Samsung cable is just the iPod connector flipped

Staff
Steve Steve said:

I am baffled by this thought process (...and not just the brain or fingers comment), so everyone should use the one device? Kind of like one size fits all.

I also do not understand why a few of you are jumping up and down about Samsung releasing a successor to the Galaxy S. So because you just bought what was their latest phone which has been out for some time they should postpone the release until your contract is up?

It's okay to skip a generation, you won't be picked on. Personally I love to see what's next and if it warrants an upgrade. Anyway a lot of interesting comments about this exciting release (not that I will own either product but it's nice to see where things are heading for my next upgrade further down the track).

Look, it's simple to understand why people are upset about this if you look at the hardware vs software. Samsung is making a new phone release with every update of Google's Android OS. Thing is, 2.3 didn't actually require a hardware update to run perfectly fine on the original Galaxy-S line. Neither did 2.2.1. I've been running 2.2.1 ever since AT&T disabled functionality on their first OTA update, which I had naively expected to be a 2.1 to 2.2 update (cabled tethering in case you're wondering). 2.3 changes a theme, adds SIP support, adds more voice support for search/other uses, and most importantly to me allows WEBM support so that video encoding/decoding becomes far less legally complicated. All the CPU and GPU required for those changes was already available in every member of the Galaxy-S line, and the modders long ago made a "Universal Lagfix" which essentially took Samsung's proprietary RFS filesystem (a hybrid of an old FAT-based filesystem and a journal, a much newer idea) and replaced it with EXT4 (which Google has already blessed as THE FS for 2.3+). The idea of taking Linux and a layer on top and obsoleting hardware because of it is absurd. Now if they needed new hardware for the functionality, it would be a different story, but they do not, so it is not.

No USB = Complete failure to listen to its users demands.

I call that a big fail.

princeton princeton said:

Samsung a leader in Android phones - what a JOKE!!!

Samsung already released froyo. Your American cell carriers are withholding it. So shut your mouth until you understand what you're talking about. Your dissing a company because your carriers are withholding it. As for GPS mine locks in 2-4 seconds. You need to change what server it chooses to use.

Samsung X820 was 6.9mm, and stated to be the world's thinnest phone.

Not a smart phone by current standards, but it was (is!) amazing piece of hardware as a "regular" phone. It's still unbeatable on size / volume.

I use a droid x...and I am not impressed by the android world. Buggy software, buggy OS that freezes and crashes a lot, bloatware forced down to your device, slow and unprdictable software updates, poorly designed and illogical ui.... Sorry, it isnt all it is cracked up to be.

It doesnt even have music software that is as good as your standard mp3 player from 2002.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

On the subject of MP3 players doing something better than phones, the Samsung YP-K5 has/had one of the best micro speaker systems I've seen/heard in any portable device. Small enough to fit a phone easily (not the Galaxy S II though), and sound quality would double, possibly triple depending on the phone. The fact that a considerable number of people use their phone speaker for listening to music makes me scratch my head to why Samsung isn't using tech they ALREADY have.

edit: also to everyone screaming foul about the proprietary connector comment, ESPECIALLY the ones that link/mention the wikipedia article: As per that very same article, it purports (without citation) that the original Galaxy Tab uses a non-standard version of PDMI. I'd think that makes that particular physical interconnect proprietary to Samsung and that device, and this refresh of the Galaxy Tab likely uses the same interconnect.

In otherwords, the wording of the article is likely correct.

princeton princeton said:

madboyv1 said:

In otherwords, the wording of the article is likely correct.

The galaxy s uses some of the best portable sound chips on the market. You clearly haven't used voodoo sound for the sgs.

princeton princeton said:

I'm unimpressed with your lack of knowledge. Bloatware is not part of android. Android is very stable. You simply chose to buy a phone with bloatware and custom interfaces. Also it's common knowledge that motoblur is the slowest and buggiest UI.

aj_the_kidd said:

Steve said:

It's okay to skip a generation, you won't be picked on.

ROFLOL, instant classic.

Damn Princeton i see you've been schoolin these ignorant trolls, respect. I believe allot of these comments are TSTO and ID-10T related errors. I would have said PEBKAC but you don't need to be in a chair to operate a phone.

For those worried about software support via OTA (over the air) I suggest that you take a few moments to learn how to root your phones and install a custom OS or (ROM). I'm running Cyanogen7 on my nexus one and it's most delightful... no bloatware, I can overclock the phone, create backups and more. Plus, CM is free.

Most any android phone will run CM (different builds for different phones, all compiled from open source Android). So you get the same OS you're used to, only faster and with more UI (user interface) tweaks.

Therefore, the only real considerations are whether you want an HDMI out, what processor speed, camera megapixel, etc.