Crytek: We remain committed to PC gaming despite leak

By on February 15, 2011, 8:00 AM
The recent leak of Crytek's highly anticipated Crysis 2 on torrent sites had left many worried about the developer's support for the PC platform in the future. The company had already dropped PC exclusivity in 2008 after Crysis was savaged by piracy, so the prospect of them abandoning PC development altogether is certainly something that crossed many gamer's minds. Fortunately, CEO Cevat Yerli has has moved to reassure everyone that that's not going to happen.

"While we are deeply disappointed by these events, we are all completely overwhelmed by the support we have received from you", wrote Yerli referring to the leak. "Despite this unfortunate incident, we can assure you that PC gaming is very important to us and will always be important to Crytek in the future. We are all still focused on delivering a great gaming experience to our true and honest fans. I hope you will enjoy Crysis 2 on PC, as we think it is our best PC game yet!"

The leaked version of the game is reportedly an incomplete version that requires some minor tweaking to run but is playable from start to finish. The game will see a multi-platform release on March 22, 2011 in the United States and March 25, 2011 in Europe, with a PC demo supposedly coming ahead of launch.

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

Well thats good to hear, already pre-ordered my copy for PC, cant wait, mates of mine have got the leaked copy and they said it was such an awesome game they went out to pre order it.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Yeah I've heard the same on some other forum sites, reports of people who have never played crysis and usually just torrent games but have played this half broken beta version of the game and many have actually pre-ordered!

Nice to hear Crytek still supporting the PC, even after this.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Glad to hear the continued support. Dedication is something many devs are lacking now-a-days

I am a long-time PC gamer, and I applaud Crytek's decision to stick with PC games. I will definitely be BUYING (not downloading an unlicensed copy of) the game to support the work that Crytek does and the commitment they exhibit to the platform I love.

- darth_vida

Afenix said:

I'm really happy to hear that. PC Gaming will never die!

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

I've already pre-ordered my two copies (one for each of my boxes) from Amazon. This is good news indeed.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Of course you are... its only your damn fault it leaked =)

Just for being a stand up guy I might have to purchase this on release day instead of waiting for a sale a couple months down the road. =)

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to buy this game right away until I saw leaked footage lol.

ess333 said:

once it appears on steam im getting it

Regenweald said:

If I were and FPS guy, based on some of the leaked vids I've seen of the new engine, I'd buy the final.

edison5do said:

Nice to read this, im getting this game in April.!

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I'm very glad to hear this news!

But I preordered the game 8 months ago anyway

I'm really hoping they release the demo soon tho, I haven't watched the leaked material but I'm itching to see some action now

And also to know how much I need to upgrade my old trusty PC aswell (My GFX card is now over 3 years old, and yet I have not felt the need to upgrade!)

princeton princeton said:

Per Hansson said:

I'm very glad to hear this news!

But I preordered the game 8 months ago anyway

Not sure if you really will have to. My GTX 260 runs it on high with no problems.

For the record guys I do have a pre order so don't bother with the whining about piracy.

BlindObject said:

I couldn't help myself and I played the leak. Runs at around 30fps at "Hardcore settings" on 1080p res. with a Q9550 @3.61ghz and a SINGLE GTX465. (Sli is not supported, duh)The 30fps doesn't sound very appetizing, but it's actually quite smooth. The game does look beautiful, but something from the first one that gave it's magic seems to be missing...

Anyway, I'll deff be buying the game.

princeton princeton said:

BlindObject said:

Anyway, I'll deff be buying the game.

It's capped at 30fps so you could be getting higher.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Princeton said:

Per Hansson said:

I'm very glad to hear this news!

But I preordered the game 8 months ago anyway

That's good to hear, as I also have a GTX 260. I'll probably upgrade to a GTX 560 Ti soon though for DX11 support.

Cota Cota said:

Thats a good org *cough hear that Microsoft* *cough Halo wasnt released to pc since halo 2*, already started to eat cups of noodles to save for 2 copies.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Good news - glad to hear this. I've also pre-ordered a copy (before the leak). Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis: Warhammer rocked my world. No reason to believe Crysis 3 won't be the same.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I'm definitely getting a copy when it comes out. My primary gaming rig still runs a GTX 275. I hope Crytek did a good job optimizing the game or I'll probably end up springing for a new GTX 500 series card. Either way, it's going to be worth the money.

@tomsea

Crysis warhammer? lol warhead you mean

Thank god, because i love playing on my pc. i will not pirate this game because crytek are worth the $$$.

that is good i am going to buy it any ways to support them !!!!!!

and pc gameing

go crytek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

plz suport them too buy the real game when it comes out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

princeton princeton said:

TomSEA said:

Good news - glad to hear this. I've also pre-ordered a copy (before the leak). Far Cry, Crysis and Crysis: Warhead rocked my world. No reason to believe Crysis 2 won't be the same.

Fixed :P

mccartercar said:

That's good to know considering all the signs point to it was internally leaked.

Crytek could spin this with optional in game commentary stating where, what was fixed, and why; similiar to commentary in vavle games. This was fun to use after beating the game and it gave me a larger sense of interest in mechanics of gameplay thereafter when playing.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Great news indeed, I would have been very disappointed if they decided otherwise. Been a fan of Crytek since Far Cry and plan on getting this game day one to show my continued support for them.

I ordered th first one and loved it so much I preordered warhead after that I was hooked so I preordered this one bout ma year ago almost

As of now, the game runs at around 60-70fps on my system, so the final version should run even better.

1920x1200, hardcore settings

2500K CPU at 4Ghz

Evga GTX580

Hank10156 said:

I have always loved the Crysis for PC experience and I still run Wars and Warhead regularly. I'm sure I'll be amazed by Crysis 2 and will enjoy it for years. I will pay any price for this game and all you pirates are total ******, I don't care what kind of lame excuses you have for your criminal behaviours. Crysis is the best PC game ever built and the Half Life series is a distant second although I'm losing respect for them because HL3 is years overdue.

Hank10156 said:

Oh, and my system runs Intel's i7 960 and Radeon's HD 6970. It yearns for Crysis 2..I can't wait to pump up the settings and walk into a new Crytek world.

Leeky Leeky said:

This is indeed good news for us gamers. Crysis rules, I absolutely love the game. I'll be ordering it as soon as its released on Steam.

1920x1200, hardcore settings

2500K CPU at 4Ghz

Evga GTX580

If it needs a spec anything like that it'll live up to its reputation. Your computer spec is hardcore bleeding edge, and nothing like the average gamers.

I'm still using a LGA775 (Q8300) and a HD4670! I really must spend more money on the computer. haha.

Stupido Stupido said:

I really liked far cry, and both crysis games... damn, I even upgraded my PC (from q6600/p35 to q9650/p45) in order to be able to have higher quality on crysis...

so I guess this one will be mine too when it hits Steam, thus +1 that will buy the game...

princeton princeton said:

Actually his post has issues. You can't reach actual hardcore settings because the game is stuck in DX9. No tweak can change that. And the other problem is all the settings use the same textures. He'll actually see a framerate hit with the final release.

hitech0101 said:

This game is a success a leak is not going to stop them from abandoning PC platform like late release, no release like other titles.Good to see true PC platform games with amazing graphics.