Flash Player 10.3 beta introduces the following features (long story short, 10.2 was a much more interesting release):
- Media Measurement – With Flash Player 10.3 and Adobe SiteCatalyst, developers can implement video analytics with as little as two lines of code. Analytics solutions can use a new set of open APIs to easily implement consistent video analytics irrespective of implementation or delivery protocol. Media Measurement for Flash allows companies to get real-time, aggregated reporting of how their video content is distributed, what the audience reach is, and how much video is played. Adobe improved the consistency over events dispatched by the NetStream API when dealing with progressive, HTTP or RTMP streaming. The company also added helper APIs like pageDomain property on the Security object to expose domain of the current URL.
- Acoustic Echo Cancellation – Flash Player 10.3 enables developers to create real-time online collaboration experiences with high-quality audio, such as telephony, in-game voice chat, and group conferencing applications. Developers can take advantage of acoustic echo cancellation, noise suppression, voice activity detection, and automatic compensation for various microphone input levels. End users will be able to experience higher quality audio facilitating smoother conversation flow, without using a headset.
- Integration with browser privacy controls for managing local storage – Users will have a simpler way to clear local storage from the browser settings interface – similar to how users clear their browser cookies today. Flash Player 10.3 integrates control of local storage with the browser's privacy settings in Mozilla Firefox 4, Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and higher, and future releases of Apple Safari and Google Chrome.
- Native Control Panel – The Global Settings Manager is currently a SWF residing on macromedia.com, Flash Player 10.3 provides users with streamlined controls for managing their Flash Player privacy, security and storage settings. Windows, Mac, and Linux users can access the Flash Player Settings Manager directly from the Control Panels or System Preferences on their computers.
- Auto-Update Notification for Mac OS – Flash Player 10.3 supports automatic notification of software updates on Mac OS, making it easier for Mac users to stay current with new capabilities in the latest version of Flash Player.
Adobe says Flash Player 10.3 will be available on mobile devices in the future, but then again, we're still waiting to see the mobile release of version 10.2.
Downloads and Drivers
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: