- 40 percent of all Google Maps usage is from mobile devices, while on Christmas and New Years day mobile usage surpassed desktop usage for the first time (a first for Google products).
- Google Maps has 150 million mobile users (that number was at 100 million in August 2010).
- Google Maps Navigation, included on Android handsets, has guided users 12 billion miles a year, and the latest version with traffic routing (our coverage) saves users two years per day in time that would have been spent in traffic.
- Google Maps could get smarter, and become contextually aware. For instance, if you were trying to catch a flight, Google Maps could see your flight schedule to see when your flight was, then analyze real-time traffic data and weather conditions to try and figure out the exact time you should leave.
- Google would like there to be better version of Google Maps for iPhone. "We like being the default provider, but we'd like to get some of these updates out to a broader audience. That's still a debate/question we're considering."
Google Maps is bound to get better, especially given the search giant's new focus on Android. What do you want to see the service do?
Downloads and Drivers
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.