Leaked: Microsoft video demos future gaming experience

By on March 18, 2011, 2:11 PM
A video showing Microsoft's goal for its next-generation gaming platform has leaked. The video is a bit dated it's from May 2010 but it still shows the general direction Microsoft hopes to push gaming towards, according to ZDNet. Here's the video's description:
This is an internal Microsoft team video showing concepts and principles of what the WGX (Windows Gaming Experience) team hopes to accomplish. Ubiquity of games on Windows, on Xbox, and on their mobile platform is what we see as a goal here.

The video includes quite a bit of Kinect actions, which shouldn't be too surprising given that the accessory broke records to become the fastest-selling consumer electronic device. The footage also shows that while Microsoft values its Xbox and mobile platforms, it has not given up on the PC. Five months ago, the software giant declared that it was "doubling down" on PC games.

The company's Windows Gaming eXperience (WGX) team, which is comprised of all gaming-related endeavors between Microsoft's platforms, has been clearly working hard. Hopefully this vision will actually turn into something more than just a research project. A LinkedIn ad that has since been removed gives a bit more insight into the team's work:

The Windows Gaming Experience (WGX) Team is a very passionate team embarking to create a new world-class gaming platform that comes alive in the presence of services and leverages the power of the PC to help define the next generation of Windows and Web gaming to 300 million potential customers. WGX team is realizing its strategy via the delivery of Windows and Web gaming solutions built upon existing available services (internal and external to Microsoft) as well as building as needed Azure-based services to enable this vision.

We are at the early stages of defining and architecting and developing excitement around gaming in Windows and the Web. We have a highly visible company-wide charter to promote gaming and empower game developers to create compelling, immersive, rich experiences in Windows and on the Web. We are on a mission to make games a first-class citizen in Windows through our efforts and in collaboration with other groups across the Interactive Entertainment & Devices (IEB) division.

Cueto_99 said:

Cool concept video... Will MS be able to, at least partially, implement some of this stuff... Time will tell...

I hope they boil in their own excrement, Jesus Christ.

I don't know if I'd want that experience, looks a bit too childish and casual.

Win7Dev said:

I would hope that in the future all webcams will be able to use the features of kinect (api or sdk?). I wouldn't mind pointing to stuff as long as it would work on laptops as well. I don't want to have to carry around another five pounds to play games or use my OS. They might even be looking into have some point controls for windows 8. We really don't know what they are doing, even if we have seen a bit of stuff leaked. Employees could have been told to leak it to start rumors and such or they may have actually leaked information. Its just a theory, but you never know with MS.

Cota Cota said:

I hope they boil in their own excrement, Jesus Christ.

I know its going rather dull and childish, power users are paying the price of being the minority

No no no no no.

They're missing the point. PC gamers want the PC to be more easy to use, to give people who can't be arsed to upgrade an option other than console. PC gamers don't want the PC to become "consolised" with this childish nonsense.

Steam is the way forward for PC, NOT LIVE. Everything that has ever tried this level of interaction has failed apart from steam. Using Steam and LIVE is like having the PSN and LIVE on the same console, ridiculous; except in this case one is vastly superior (Steam) to the other.

Agreed. The only thing I want to see is that M$ make a deal with steam and let Valve handle the gaming platform in Windows 8.

Yeah, I know that won't happen forever...

That looked terrible. Keep the casualness away from gaming and make it hardcore.

yRaz yRaz said:

Microsoft, give the PC gamers what THEY want, not what you want them to want. We want steam, but feel free to sell games over it to us(if they use windows live I wont buy them).

I think i just threw up.

inb4 casual ****

Oh wait, I'm too late. Just so you guys know, Valve already ushered in the age of casual on the PC. Half-life, Portal, and Left 4 Dead are all casual games. If you want to bash Microsoft for something, at least make it something that you aren't praising another company for doing at the same time.

awesome, i can pick out what clothes i want to wear everyday and have my own personal wardrobe. i hope theres a huge selection of shoes and handbags. oh i cant wait!

emmzo said:

Why the obsession with childish approach? It makes me think MS wants more 5yo's or fairy princess fans to join live, try out their wardrobe and spell p0wned like they know what it means. One thing is certain though: MS vision of future gaming is totally gay.

lipe123 said:

wth is this BS?

So uhm basically you get a cartoon avatar on a TV with a dumb Xbox to play bejeweled with other cartoony ppl on Xbox? Seriousley?! THATS the future?

Please send me back to 1995 where we had awesome games like unreal and half life that was 10X better than the current Xbox crap that gets ported to PC for a even crappier experience.

Seriousley Pc games is a dying era and everyone just wants dumbed down Xbox/ps3 games now

Unfortunately Microsoft is on to something here. Casual gamers and everyday people like this crap--wii anyone? I know I don't buy into it because I consider myself a gamer, but the rest of my family (I'm 43) will love it. I can see Microsoft making tons of money for about a year or two before the masses get tired of it--wii anyone?

Ha.

Its amusing how the guy who is at work, supposed to be doing work, is ignoring his phone and playing a game with his mate. I can see employers & parents blocking all of this type of crap!

This video looks too much like facebollox and simwaste... I am just waiting for the day when the proverbial 'social' bubble bursts... but should it last, I would prefer less self interested, religious minority(the j word...) controlled & owned companies at the forefront.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

That has zero appeal to me, but then I would still rather have the original blade interface on the XBox 360.

inb4 casual ****

Nothing that valve has done is NEARLY as bad as this. This isn't even about casual video games (don't even TRY to compare L4D to farmville, honestly), it's about the casualization of the market itself. Valve (aside from HATS!! which a lot of people hate) has always been concerned with service and content before pulling in casual players. HL2 was a very well thought out and built experience, as well as steam itself. This...this is just Farmville: The Market place

ramonsterns said:

Why would you waste money on fake pixel clothes you can't even use in your games?

WHO IS THIS STUPID?

that's why actually pc games made by microsoft sucks and will suck even more in the future, I prefer to play real games instead of giving my money to a company that wants to make more and more casual games... ....... what do they think we are, stupid or really stupid?....................

its tooned out because they wont/dont want to invest in fleshing out the CABs(avatars) system,they just want to keep selling you zero effort $5 t shirts for your dolly

Rasta211 said:

I'd like to see what the hackers would do with this.