Users with newer IE versions more likely to use Bing, especially for IE9

By on April 6, 2011, 10:15 AM
It appears that Internet Explorer's tech-savvy users are more likely to use Bing. In other words, the later version of Microsoft's browser you use, the higher the chance that you're also using Microsoft's search engine.

Chitika, a Web advertising company, took a look at Bing usage in the various versions of IE and found a pretty impressive curve: 7.60 percent of older versions of IE search with Bing, 11.00 percent of IE6 users search with Bing, 14.59 percent of IE7 users search with Bing, 16.94 percent of IE8 users search with Bing, and a whopping 22.90 percent of IE9 users search with Bing.

The difference between the last two versions, IE8 and IE9, is the largest one: a 35.18 percent increase. This number may decrease as more users upgrade to IE9: given that the browser is not even a month old, it could be that Microsoft fans are the first to switch, skewing the stats.

It's also worth noting that if a user selects a search provider as the default in a previous Internet Explorer version, that preference will be preserved when they upgrade to IE9. That being said, if they have not picked one, IE9 will use Bing as the default, unless they change it after upgrading.

Sista said:

"a Web advertising company, too a look" I think you guys mean took.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Not this IE9 user, sticking with Google.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well it is almost two years since I used Google search ...... so IE doesn't influence this user anyway.

"and a whopping 22.90 percent of IE9 users search with Bing" meaning that ~75% use Google probably...

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Mizzou said:

Not this IE9 user, sticking with Google.

Same for this IE8 user. For some reason i have an instinct to go for Google even though i have a nice fast access "Bing bar" at the top right.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

We secretly replaced the users regular search engine with Bing, lets see if they can tell the difference...

"Hi, you know you're using Bing?"

"No WAY! OMG hee hee. You got me. Tastes better than Google, mmm, mmm"

"Would you be willing to switch to Bing?"

"Oh YES, I'll never use my old brand again"

There you have it folks!

LightHeart said:

@gwailo247 - That was good for a laugh

When I installed IE9 it didn't really give me a choice, it just figured I'd want to use Bing.

I use Bing for most things anyways and Google once in awhile.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Doesn't matter whether it's Google or Bing, whichever can give me the results that I'm looking for, then that's the one I'll be using that particular query.

Been using Bing since almost release and the quality of searches has consistently been increasing. I still use google for about 10~15% of my searches, but decreasingly so. If nothing else, my navigation habits have evolved AND in the rare ocasion when I pop the actual search site, I like Bing's interface better, what with daily pictures and what not.