Touch Mouse 3-Way Roundup

By on April 11, 2011, 2:22 AM
When it comes to input peripherals and more specifically pointing devices, the options available to the end user are near limitless. Our most recent mouse reviews and roundups have had a heavy focus on gamers and enthusiasts, but itís important to remember that not everyone falls into these particular demographics.

Today we'll be looking at three mice that arenít necessarily as high-end or feature-packed as some we have previously tested. These wireless mice are smaller and simpler in what they entail, yet they all feature one distinct characteristic Ė touch sensitivity. Meet the contenders: Microsoftís Arc Touch, Mad Catz's Eclipse touchmouse, and SpeedLinkís Cue Wireless Multitouch.

Read the complete review.

"Feels like breaking someone's spine" ?? That's an unusual way of describing a computer device. Moreover, it makes me wonder whether the author has any experience with breaking spines >.<

None of these mice for me, that's for sure. I hate the arched MS mice with a passion, and nothing's wrong with a scroll wheel if it's built correctly. Gonna stick to my Logitech VX Revolution :).

Lurker101 said:

Perhaps I'm getting the wrong end of this review, but the message I'm getting is, 'These mice are tacky and useless. Don't buy them'.

I'll be sticking to my Logitech G9 for a while longer.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Lurker101 said:

I'll be sticking to my Logitech G9 for a while longer.

I think you're getting the wrong message overall.

SpeedLink's Cue Wireless Multitouch: very good range (via RF), horrid touch implementation, very small and uncomfortable.

Mad Catz's Eclipse touchmouse: horrid range (via bluetooth), good touch implementation, also small.

Microsoft's Arc Touch: very good range (via RF), great "touch" implementation, "suprisingly comfortable" and not too small for "medium mitts"

In otherwords, the first two listed above suck, but the microsoft mouse is well worth its cost to those who would considering such a mouse.

Funny enough, I find Mice to be one of those subjects that gamers and power users are ESPECIALLY defensive about. If it is not their mouse (or similar) or from their favorite developer, it's trash. Same goes for keyboards but to a lesser extent. =p

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

madboyv1 said:

Bwaha! So true! And same seems to go for the PSU, RAM, MB, and even the case!

As for the mice, I'll stick with the mouse which suits my need, no matter the name, cheapness or intended purpose. Including one of those ye olde COM-mice!

It's not obsolete as long as it does the same job in an equally good fashion, you might say.

dotVezz said:

I almost bought the Arc Touch, but then I found out it doesn't have a back button...

I almost cried.. the thing is suck a pleasure to use (and so neat because of the way it bends...)

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Shawn said:

At a range of 6' or more, the mouse cursor was very jumpy on-screen. Moving back further to around 15', it became borderline unusable. Bluetooth has a range of 30', so this shouldn't have been an issue.

Actually, I've been in contact with probably about a dozen Bluetooth mice of various brands and models.

I can say that POOR performance at ranges greater than several feet OR with nearby, simultaneous wireless activity is indeed the norm.

I know BT has a range of 30ish feet with most receivers/transmitters, but the honest truth is -- with a mouse -- the usable range is easily a fourth of that.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Rick said:

Shawn said:

Yes, I bought a BT mouse once.. never again. However because of this article I am purchasing the Microsoft touch mouse to try it out. I usually buy Logitech products, but giving Microsoft a shot.

What about the Magic Mouse?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

What about a magic mouse? So I did buy the Microsoft touch mouse.... I got to admit, i love it. Its very nicely built. It's can get a little uncomfortable after playing minecraft for a few hours, but thats to be expected with the design... and not bad at all considering its hours before I start getting uncomfortable. I can carry this thing around in my pocket and use it anywhere... no more touching people's gross mice!!!!

CEO of the company had the nastiest. Hair gel crud stuck all around it, and it was hard to tell that it was hair gel!!! hahaha Washed my hands afterwards.

The $45 price mentioned from the Microsoft Arc Touch is way off. It's $70. The regular Microsoft Arc (without the Touch) is closer to $45.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

TigerDirect has it for $40 flat.