Chrome goes back to stealing share from IE, Firefox

By on May 2, 2011, 6:14 PM

With IE9, Firefox 4, and Chrome 11 all out, the second browser war is only getting fiercer. Let's take a look at the market share numbers for last month.

Between March and April, Internet Explorer dropped 0.81 percentage points, just a bit less than the previous month. Firefox, meanwhile, dipped 0.17 percentage points, losing what it gained in the last two months. Chrome meanwhile gained 0.37 percentage points. Safari was up 0.54 percentage points, making it last month's biggest winner. Opera lost 0.01 percentage points.

At 55.11 percent, Internet Explorer has once again hit a new low. IE9, the latest and greatest from Microsoft, last month captured 2.41 percent of the market. IE8 lost 1.35 percentage points, but it's still the world's most popular browser. IE7 fell 0.52 percentage points and IE6 fell 0.12 percentage points. We're hoping that IE6 will fall below the 10 percent mark in the next few months.

At 21.63 percent, Firefox is still below the peak it reached last year (24.72 percent). It appears that Firefox 4 is not (yet?) helping Mozilla regain overall market share. This is despite the fact that Firefox 4 last month captured a whopping 5.43 percent of the market. Firefox 3.6 lost 3.66 percentage points and Firefox 3.5 lost 0.15 percentage points.

At 11.94 percent, Chrome has hit a new high. The browser's built-in updating system is working wonders for Google. Chrome 11 managed to only capture 0.50 percent (it was released towards the end of the month), but Chrome 10 gained 3.32 percentage points. Chrome 9 fell 3.17 percentage points.

The data is courtesy of Net Applications, which looks at 160 million visitors per month. As you can see above, the situation at TechSpot is quite different.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Stealing as opposed to winning?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I use chrome. Its simple and fast. Nuff said.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Don't be a hater Kitty Kat. Chrome is Awesomesauce.

Its only a shame they don't have a Download accelerator extension yet at least not that I know of... Would be nice for sometihng like DownThemAll for Firefox... Pretty much the only reason why I go back to Firefox from time to time.. Oh that and Rikai-Chan.

KG363 KG363 said:

"Internet Explorer has once again hit a new low"

"Internet Explorer has once again hit a new low"

"Wait, so IE magically started out over 55%? PLEASE proof your articles. I almost can't read these articles anymore."

It's an obvious given and common sense, why should they need to reference back to when the internet was ancient?

back on topic I personally love chrome, I was always a firefox person until the day I tried chrome, it's so fast, simple and sleek. Even with the new firefox I just can't help but stick with chrome, the only thing I really miss is the session and download management of firefox

LightHeart said:

I think the browser "wars" are over and the consumer wins. You get to choose whichever browser you like. Choice is the winner.

I jumped from Firefox to Chrome myself.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Don't be a hater Kitty Kat. Chrome is Awesomesauce.

Hey I use chrome.

Since ie 9 is released, I return to Avant Browser, an IE based browser again. For myslef, I prefer ie based browsers. It runs fast and stable with the superiorty of multi-process of chrome, and improvments of ie9.