Editorial: The turbulent times of the PlayStation 3

By on May 16, 2011, 11:30 AM

It has now been over 3 weeks since the PlayStation Network was taken down by Sony due to a hacker incursion that has made headlines worldwide.

The loss of personal data, the potential leak of credit card data, the lack of security and seemingly slow response from Sony has gamers, developers and privacy experts alike all calling for blood.

There's talk of developers abandoning Sony's platform entirely due to losing a lot of revenue and retailers aren't exactly making a case for consumers to stick with the PS3 as opposed to the competition.

Factor in that the Xperia Play doesn't seem to be shifting games and things are looking pretty bad for Sony. Is this the end of the PS3? Can Sony recover from this any time soon, if at all? Well, if any company can come back from the brink, it's Sony - and history will show you why.

Time for a History lesson.

In order to see why Sony can easily turn the tide of negativity, you only have to look back in time a couple of years. The PlayStation 3 has not had an easy life. Way back when it was announced in 2005, it came under fire almost immediately. The 2005 E3 expo didn't have a single playable PS3 console. There were some great tech demos, but it was all running on developer kit.

Sony can be forgiven for this, though, it was early days and there would be plenty of time for demos later. This isn't what got people riled up, although one could argue that if there was a playable console it would be different, as then people would actually get to use the thing that they immediately decided to hate - the controller.

Read the rest of the aricle ->
- This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Poor Sony :(

zillion said:

I read the entire article and i must say it is extremely well written, I believe a lot of people will benefit from reading this, but most likely the people "supporting" George might have an eye opener and realize he isn't the "hero" they like to think.

Saying wether Sony is the bad guy or the poor victim i wont be the judge of as i do not own a ps3, but i still believe u wouldn't need an alarm as long as there are no criminals to rob u. And the incident that has affected so many people by now, is as i see it, is on the limit of terrorism.... so F**K u hackers!!

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Yeah, poor Sony for treating its customers like shit and being completely incompetent essentially giving out millions of credit card numbers. They will not get my sympathy nor my monetary endorsement, despite having some great products.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Really, this article sums up everything about the PSN (and the PS3 troubles) so good that it should be professionally edited into Wikipedia. Well written I say, *thumbs up for the author*

Also, remembering how the Playstation first began, I think that these problems have only been a result of Sony's attitude towards its customers. At least in my opinion...

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Poor Sony

These big corporations are nothing to feel sympathy for.

"Aww, poor guest." Sony says in sympathy.

"He cant get online right now. Lets just throw some free downloads at him."

Yep No mercy for Sony, the attitude says everything, the ppl is not fool....well...a lot of it yes, but others can see and detect the corporations attitude...and Sony is not in the best place to ask for Mercy like others, instead they try to fool everyone...sad.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm not a big fan of Sony (but then nobody around here really is)....But my PS3's been flawless since the day i bought it and It still feels and runs like top quality.

I certainly wouldn't swap mine for a 360...Not a bloody chance.

BMfan BMfan said:

I say poor people,everytime something goes wrong then people want something for free.

It was the hacker that caused this so he should give people stuff for free.

Great read.

Thanx for posting the article Techspot.

Proofix said:

Sony deserve to die... the company should have been more careful, a malty billion company that cares about its income but not its clients...And for the record, I do have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 and I did get my money stolen over that peace of shit they call security system.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

PS3 did have a pretty bad start... The Cell didn't really live up to the hype and doesn't produce any significantly better graphics than the older Xbox 360. The developers had some early frustrations, with some describing writing on the SDK as "sweating bullets over obscure architectural decisions." Initially the PS3 was competing with the still available PS2 for sales. The PS3 came after the Xbox 360 with a significantly higher price tag. There was a blu-ray diode shortage soon after a limited system launch that held back production. The PS3 had HDMI interface handshaking issues, fixed by a firmware update. Backwards compatibility with PS2 games was initially spotty. And the system in general still seems to be suffering from weak North America sales.

In general things started out rocky, looked better after the PS3 slim was introduced, and stayed good until their customer DB got hacked.

@ Nail:

Get your facts straight an stop your hit an misses!!! It seems all the anti-sony posts are either X-Box fanboys or just pure haters. A a happy an proud PS3 owner, an despite this unfortunate mishap wish..BTW can happen to any corporation...I still stand by SONY... because my experience with them is top notch. I had no problem with my PS3 since I bought it in '07... Great AAA exclusives with superb graphics and game-play 2nd to none on any console. Thank you SONY for caring!!

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

to Guest @ 2:10 PM: and all the pure haters and xbox fanboys will simply dismiss your comment for being a sony/PS3 fanboy and the trolling, flaming, and hating will continue as per the norm. Vicious cycle huh...

"thats good but remember , its a business...so they will try to keep every cent from your wallet....so why being good to them? and my personal info? No way even with my super ultra finest expensive ps3..they are not doing a favor to me or us...keep that in mind, even the PSN is free but the cost is hidden in every game we pay....they just dont say it...so they asked for this. they deserver it, we deserve better service"

There's a good remedy for that. Don't buy ANYTHING! Everything you buy requires money. Corporations require money to make something for you. There's no such things as free in this world.

Reading the article was very interesting though and some comments were good as well. However there are always comments that are just rather odd such as:

Also: SONY you totally deserve it for suing Geohot an pursuing hackers.

Thank to geohot and all the effort from other developers we can play MKV and WEBM natively on the PS3, great advances after the jailbreak. The PS3 JB community will continue.

It's just so short-sighted that it's not even funny. Sure jailbreak is definitely awesome but it also allows unwanted things through the door.

Overall I'm just appalled at everyone. Sony for screwing up the system and people just being so.... uugh. Both sides just sucks.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Actually, 9Nails summary of the PS3 start up is accurate. In fact there are additional issues he didn't even mention like the ongoing volley of firmware upgrades it took to deliver the functionality promised. As an owner of an original PS3 I could also mention that Sony took forever and a day to finally admit that they didn't fully implement HDMI 1.3 (in the original console) as claimed. All that aside, I've never had any problems with my PS3 and it is a well built piece of equipment that also has full PS2 backward compatibility ... unlike it's successors.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This is the best comment regarding this article/editorial piece. There will be no better.

LOL so multiplayer games were down. Big deal it still a great blu-ray player, watched my net flicks instant movies and played games that did not need to access the Internet. Finally finished Dragon age II so for me it was only Black ops that I could not play so what is the issue? You could not have any of this if the xbox was hacked. So you poor saps that sold your ps3 for xbox are you really getting anything better???

CrazedVietVet

very good article

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Proofix said:

I highly doubt your money was stolen.

Sony won't 'die'. Sony sells a handful of other products besides their PS3.

There are more important things to be angry about. Aren't you going to complain about your gas woes and call for all oil companies to die?

Gamers don't understand things sometimes. The world is much bigger than PSN.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

Yea I'm pretty sure there have been no confirmed cases of identity theft or fraud, so settle down.

Sony is among the world leaders in technology innovation and design, and without them we wouldn't have what we do today. Sure, the whole PSN/Qriocity outage sucked, but at the end of the day it just goes to show you that there is no company is bulletproof.