Apple iPhone 5 may come with dual-LED flash

By on June 24, 2011, 4:00 PM

Apple's iPhone 5 may come with a dual-LED flash, courtesy of a part made by a Taiwan-based LED packaging firm (as opposed to a Lumileds high-power LED flash product from Philips). Everlight Electronics, Edison Opto, and Lite-On Technology are the three potential suppliers, according to recent market rumors, but all related companies have denied they are involved in the production, according to DigiTimes.

While dual-LED flash is not a huge deal (it should have been in the iPhone 4), this does further support the rumor that the iPhone 5 is getting a better camera. Rumors have previously said it will be an 8MP camera manufactured by Sony. Higher-resolution pictures and video will be better viewed on the device's rumored larger screen but thinner bezel.

Apple has been giving some developers access to a device known as the iPhone 4S — an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals, but that's not the iPhone 5. In fact, the iPhone 5 will reportedly have a radical new case design.

Ever since the iPhone 5 was delayed, rumors have suggested production for the device will start in either July or September, but both expect it to arrive in time for this holiday season (possibly as soon as August 2011).

The iPhone 5 was largely expected to arrive this month, given the iPhone's history, but was delayed. The first iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. The iPhone 3G was introduced on June 9, 2008. The iPhone 3GS was announced on June 8, 2009 and arrived on June 19, 2009 in the first countries. The iPhone 4 was announced on June 7, 2010 and released on June 24, 2010.




User Comments: 23

Got something to say? Post a comment
Scott8090 said:

It will be interesting to see if the release of the iphone 5 will put Apple back in the run vs Google Androids.

Guest said:

Sooo whats coming out? Iphone 4GS it Iphone 5? or both ..months apart?

princeton princeton said:

Scott8090 said:

It will be interesting to see if the release of the iphone 5 will put Apple back in the run vs Google Androids.

They need a bigger screen. I refuse to buy a device with a 3.5" screen.

Scott8090 said:

Princeton said:

Scott8090 said:

It will be interesting to see if the release of the iphone 5 will put Apple back in the run vs Google Androids.

They need a bigger screen. I refuse to buy a device with a 3.5" screen.

I agree on that matter, Screens have been come one heck of a important matter these days. My galaxy S has a 4.0 inch if my memory serves me right. I wouldn't go under that with how much I love it : 3. Heck unless they change the available service options for their iphones they will no doubtfully not come back from losing popularity.

princeton princeton said:

scott8090 said:

Princeton said:

Scott8090 said:

It will be interesting to see if the release of the iphone 5 will put Apple back in the run vs Google Androids.

They need a bigger screen. I refuse to buy a device with a 3.5" screen.

I agree on that matter, Screens have been come one heck of a important matter these days. My galaxy S has a 4.0 inch if my memory serves me right. I wouldn't go under that with how much I love it : 3. Heck unless they change the available service options for their iphones they will no doubtfully not come back from losing popularity.

Yah I own a Galaxy S and a Nexus S. The screen just dwarfs the iphone 4 when I see people using it.

Scott8090 said:

Yah I own a Galaxy S and a Nexus S. The screen just dwarfs the iphone 4 when I see people using it.

I know right!! My best friend has a Iphone 4...the Galaxy S beats it by far. Go Team Whiskey!!!

aj_the_kidd said:

Scott8090 said:

It will be interesting to see if the release of the iphone 5 will put Apple back in the run vs Google Androids.

I would argue that for most people the iPhone is king and every other phone is playing catchup.

Scott8090 said:

aj_the_kidd said:

Scott8090 said:

It will be interesting to see if the release of the iphone 5 will put Apple back in the run vs Google Androids.

I would argue that for most people the iPhone is king and every other phone is playing catchup.

mm hardly Google Androids have been caught up to IPhone for a while. Hell Samsung is wining over markets around the world. Statics even show Android has already over taken iPhone. Add in the fact companies have limited the plans for iphones as well as Apple's negativeness toward developers is enough of a reason to warrant the clain of decrease in iphone use. I more commonly see new androids vs new iphones. Iphones are still Good products but the are hardly the lead anymore. A lot of people have embraced androids a lot heaver than would first meet the eye.

Guest said:

2G (2007), 3G (2008), 3GS (2009), 4G (2010), BUT 4GS and 5 (2011???) within a span of a few months? Doesn't make sense. I'll be damned if they put out the 4GS and not the 5 after all these rumors.

princeton princeton said:

aj_the_kidd said:

Scott8090 said:

It will be interesting to see if the release of the iphone 5 will put Apple back in the run vs Google Androids.

I would argue that for most people the iPhone is king and every other phone is playing catchup.

Oh please. Samsung beat them with the Galaxy S and they've already sent out the Galaxy S II. Hell samsung makes the heart of the iphone, so how could they be playing catchup?

Scott8090 said:

Oh please. Samsung beat them with the Galaxy S and they've already sent out the Galaxy S II. Hell samsung makes the heart of the iphone, so how could they be playing catchup?

Yep, the technology within the Galaxy S is a step up from the Iphone. At its release it had top of the line technology. Still it has the top of the top really. Google Androids over all have been setting the standards for phones.

aj_the_kidd said:

Princeton said:

Oh please. Samsung beat them with the Galaxy S and they've already sent out the Galaxy S II. Hell samsung makes the heart of the iphone, so how could they be playing catchup?

You forget the fact that most people arent tech savvy and that they dont know Android, they see all these Apple ads and automatically assume its the best phone.

scott8090 said:

mm hardly Google Androids have been caught up to IPhone for a while. Hell Samsung is wining over markets around the world. Statics even show Android has already over taken iPhone. Add in the fact companies have limited the plans for iphones as well as Apple's negativeness toward developers is enough of a reason to warrant the clain of decrease in iphone use. I more commonly see new androids vs new iphones. Iphones are still Good products but the are hardly the lead anymore. A lot of people have embraced androids a lot heaver than would first meet the eye.

Android phones as a whole are outselling the iPhone, but the iPhone is still out selling the individual android models. The iPhone too many people, are still in the lead

Scott8090 said:

You forget the fact that most people arent tech savvy and that they dont know Android, they see all these Apple ads and automatically assume its the best phone.

Android phones as a whole are outselling the iPhone, but the iPhone is still out selling the individual android models. The iPhone too many people, are still in the lead

Really? Non tech savvy people Really don't know android? That statement is so laughable, I really don't know what to say other than Laugh lol...

Android has become vastly more common with Non tech savvy people and tech savvy people. With Apple being a vastly more expensive choice over Androids of all kinds have been more commonly used. Google Androids have roughly the same amount of learning curve as a iphone. Other androids have a learning curve roughly the same as any old standard cell phone. Apple Iphones are more expensive than Google Androids and Vastly more expensive than General Android phones. The average end users are not as technology dumb as your statement portrays them as.

aj_the_kidd said:

Scott8090 said:

You forget the fact that most people arent tech savvy and that they dont know Android, they see all these Apple ads and automatically assume its the best phone.

Android phones as a whole are outselling the iPhone, but the iPhone is still out selling the individual android models. The iPhone too many people, are still in the lead

Really? Non tech savvy people Really don't know android? That statement is so laughable, I really don't know what to say other than Laugh lol...

Android has become vastly more common with Non tech savvy people and tech savvy people. With Apple being a vastly more expensive choice over Androids of all kinds have been more commonly used. Google Androids have roughly the same amount of learning curve as a iphone. Other androids have a learning curve roughly the same as any old standard cell phone. Apple Iphones are more expensive than Google Androids and Vastly more expensive than General Android phones. The average end users are not as technology dumb as your statement portrays them as.

Here we go again, another person thinking the world consist only of them and the people around them. I see there is no point in continuing this discussion and so we will have agree to disagree.

Scott8090 said:

Here we go again, another person thinking the world consist only of them and the people around them. I see there is no point in continuing this discussion and so we will have agree to disagree.

I perfectly agree, continueing a conversation with a closed minded individual such as your self is a waste of both our times. Its obvious its in both our best interests to drop the topic. In other words I agree to disagree : ). Thanks for wording matters perfectly for me : 3.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I would love a smartphone, but I'm the submarket I guess. My phone right now is a touch screen phone only because my mom upgraded to an iPhone and I accidentally washed my phone. I dont' need a phone to do all kinds of internet stuff, I just need it to make phone calls and maybe a txt message. I have a computer (several) for the other activities.

So, I don't need an iPhone or whatever android phones there are, they simply cost to much for me to own.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

So, I don't need an iPhone or whatever android phones there are, they simply cost to much for me to own.

Smart phones actually cost too much for a great many their current owners to own. They either never read the phone bills, or have never taken stock of what they're doing without to own one.

You could just about lease a sub compact car for the $140.00 a month cost of a smart phone.

princeton princeton said:

aj_the_kidd said:

Princeton said:

Oh please. Samsung beat them with the Galaxy S and they've already sent out the Galaxy S II. Hell samsung makes the heart of the iphone, so how could they be playing catchup?

You forget the fact that most people arent tech savvy and that they dont know Android, they see all these Apple ads and automatically assume its the best phone.

scott8090 said:

mm hardly Google Androids have been caught up to IPhone for a while. Hell Samsung is wining over markets around the world. Statics even show Android has already over taken iPhone. Add in the fact companies have limited the plans for iphones as well as Apple's negativeness toward developers is enough of a reason to warrant the clain of decrease in iphone use. I more commonly see new androids vs new iphones. Iphones are still Good products but the are hardly the lead anymore. A lot of people have embraced androids a lot heaver than would first meet the eye.

Android phones as a whole are outselling the iPhone, but the iPhone is still out selling the individual android models. The iPhone too many people, are still in the lead

No it isn't. The SGS2 has been outselling the iphone since launch. In fact it sold over a million units in only a month, and it was only released in korea. Now it's selling even more. Your comment about most people not being tech savvy is sort of funny as your comments about the iphone outselling individual devices makes you equally non tech savvy.

Guest said:

Woohoo!!! Another great addition to the iPhone that other phones have had for over a year! Thank god they're back in the game!! -Note: this is sarcasm.

Scott8090 said:

No it isn't. The SGS2 has been outselling the iphone since launch. In fact it sold over a million units in only a month, and it was only released in korea. Now it's selling even more. Your comment about most people not being tech savvy is sort of funny as your comments about the iphone outselling individual devices makes you equally non tech savvy.

Ignorant Troll Shot down again . You got a talent for it Princeton lol.

aj_the_kidd said:

Scott8090 said:

No it isn't. The SGS2 has been outselling the iphone since launch. In fact it sold over a million units in only a month, and it was only released in korea. Now it's selling even more. Your comment about most people not being tech savvy is sort of funny as your comments about the iphone outselling individual devices makes you equally non tech savvy.

Ignorant Troll Shot down again . You got a talent for it Princeton lol.

Get a room

Guest said:

wats a SGS2?

mailpup mailpup said:

You only need to read the thread to find that out.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.