MSI's new GTX 580 expels dust, changes fan color based on temp

By on September 6, 2011, 4:40 PM

MSI has unveiled a new feature that can prevent dust bunnies from taking refuge in your graphics card. Demonstrated on an Nvidia GTX 580, the insipidly-named "Dust Removal" technology ejects undesired particulates from your GPU cooler's fan and heatsink by running in reverse at full speed for 30 seconds during your system's startup. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean you'll save cash on compressed air.

Dust, pet hair and other debris isn't expelled from your machine entirely, just from the graphics card. In other words, it'll probably cling to other components in your case, such as your CPU's heatsink and fan assembly along with your exhaust blowers. You'll likely have to clean your other components just as frequently -- if not more so. On the bright side, your GPU should lead a happier, healthier life.

Although it's common sense that dusty components are thermally inefficient, during its testing MSI found that a grime-laden graphics card ran up to 15C (59F) hotter than its unsoiled counterpart. That discrepancy could put your graphics chip in danger of overheating, it might shave time off its lifespan and at the very least, it'll cause higher noise levels because your fan will have to work overtime.

MSI's new N580GTX Lighting Xtreme Edition also carries a new fan design that indicates the card's temperature by changing its fan's color. Leveraging MSI's smart temperature sensor technology, the fans gradually shift from a royal blue hue to stark white when your chassis' ambient air temperature exceeds 45C (113F). The fan also offers 20% better airflow than MSI's previous implementations.

The new N580GTX features an 832MHz core clock speed, 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM operating at an effective 4200MHz on a 384-bit interface. It has 16-phase PWM (an industry first for the GTX 580, says MSI), copper MOS with 2x high current capacity, triple overvoltage protection,  dual DVI outputs alongside a single HDMI port and a DisplayPort connector. Online pricing appears to be set around $600.

wow!! my passive gpu cries...

Cota Cota said:

wow! it changes color and spins backwards!

>_> really? no brain in that color change, dont know if they should be proud or be ashamed of not using that backwards spin since a lot, every dam time i have to clean a radiator whit a air pump i have this idea.

Hey here is a nice one too, make the back hole in that video card more big and remove those wide bars, it adds pressure to the air flow avoiding the hot air to get out more easily.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

"MSI's new GTX 580 expels dust, changes fan color based on temp"

Define new.

The card has been out in the retail channel for over three months.

(TPU's review). (HC review)

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"Leveraging MSI's smart temperature sensor technology, the fans gradually shift from a royal blue hue to stark white when your chassis' ambient air temperature exceeds 45C (113C)."

How would you be able to see the color of the fans through all the smoke and flames? =P

I don't know what's worse, this, or putting 2GB VRAM on a sub $120 video card.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

@gwailo247

FWIW, I don't think there's much in a chassis that would combust at 113C (even using the good Chinese plastic) -unless Michael Bay turned system builder.

The best part about the whole deal is that you'd either need a Silverstone vertical mount (Raven, Fortress)/ Lian Li upside down non-vapor-chamber-friendly chassis, or get intimate and jam your head into the bottom of a conventional chassis to experience the U2-esque light show.

I don't know what's worse, this, or putting 2GB VRAM on a sub $120 video card.

Both sound fairly sane compared with PoV's GTX 550 Ti 4GB, or Dell/HP etc need for 3GB GT 440's.

Leeky Leeky said:

@gwailo247

I'll make it burn, melt, and shoot flames!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I leave you in the capable hands of our resident expert....

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Leeky said:

@gwailo247

I'll make it burn, melt, and shoot flames!

"UK man sets record for highest ambient chassis temperature in a still functioning computer. Doctors are optimistic."

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL...great. A card that will blow dust back into your case with every boot. And by golly, it has a fan that you can't see anyway because it's in your case, that changes color when it's ready to blow.

Uhhh - no thanks. I'll splurge for a $1.25 can of compressed air and do my usual quarterly PC cleaning which has always seemed to work fine. :p

After blowing it out, wont it just suck it back in?

thats the fun part of it. blowing and sucking dust back

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

The heck you get compressed duster for a buck twenty-five?

SKYSTAR SKYSTAR said:

that's smart tech from msi

Rasta211 said:

I like the dust removing and fan changing colours. +1

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

gwailo247 said:

Leeky said:

@gwailo247

I'll make it burn, melt, and shoot flames!

Hey i'm from the UK too! and I managed to get my temp up to 114C!

I think me and Leeky should have a challenge :P

Phraun said:

The fans change colors? As in, the fans that nobody can see because they're facing the bottom of the case? Genius!

raybk said:

spin backwards to clear dust?

am I supposed to have it spin backwards inside computer case and let the dust scatter inside the case?

I think it should invent something that can swallow dust and produce electricity.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

burty117 said:

Hey i'm from the UK too! and I managed to get my temp up to 114C!

I think me and Leeky should have a challenge :P

This will not end well, lol.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

After blowing it out, wont it just suck it back in?

I'm sure there's a dirty joke in there somewhere... Or at least a very dusty one...

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Relic said:

TomSEA said:

The heck you get compressed duster for a buck twenty-five?

No kidding! I buy mine by the 3-pack for $15 at Target. I would buy $1.50 canned air in a minute!

MilwaukeeMike said:

You guys realize it's 113 Farenheit, right? 45C? Or was this just a dumb overblown joke about a typo.

dividebyzero said: "MSI's new GTX 580 expels dust, changes fan color based on temp"

Define new.

The card has been out in the retail channel for over three months.

yeah, but it's new to MSI. Like when your buddy says he bought a new car, you don't respond with 'New? Cars have been around for like 100 years.'

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Just to be clear, it *was* 113C. I corrected my typo but left the comments because they're amusing .

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Maybe you should have taken the time to click the links.

This exact-same-identical model-SKU* (MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition**) -with all these groovy features -has been in retail for over three months.

For your analogy to work :

"Like when your buddy says he bought a new car, you respond with; Yeah, cool, 2010 model right ?"

* You know why I did this, right?

** Check the first verified owner review date, even if you can't be bothered checking the previous review dates which highlight these NEW features.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

milwaukeemike said:

Oh, that makes more sense.

Well, this makes me feel better about the prospects of random house fires in Cambridgeshire. And given the current social upheaval in the UK, who knows where that might have led?

Groups of disaffected youths coordinating overclocking parties via social networks?

Special branch knocking on doors of people who recently bought watercooling radiators?

David Cameron banning the K-edition of Sandy Bridge processors in the UK?

Renrew Renrew said:

Poor mans temp indicator: Coors beer can cutout of mountains.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm pretty sure my older 8800 GTX OC GPU stays in the 75 - 85C temp range when gaming. Why is it that this newer faster card changes color at 45C? Do they run that much cooler now?