MSI's new GTX 580 expels dust, changes fan color based on temp

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

MSI has unveiled a new feature that can prevent dust bunnies from taking refuge in your graphics card. Demonstrated on an Nvidia GTX 580, the insipidly-named "Dust Removal" technology ejects undesired particulates from your GPU cooler's fan and heatsink by running in reverse at full speed for 30 seconds during your system's startup. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean you'll save cash on compressed air.

Dust, pet hair and other debris isn't expelled from your machine entirely, just from the graphics card. In other words, it'll probably cling to other components in your case, such as your CPU's heatsink and fan assembly along with your exhaust blowers. You'll likely have to clean your other components just as frequently -- if not more so. On the bright side, your GPU should lead a happier, healthier life.

Although it's common sense that dusty components are thermally inefficient, during its testing MSI found that a grime-laden graphics card ran up to 15C (59F) hotter than its unsoiled counterpart. That discrepancy could put your graphics chip in danger of overheating, it might shave time off its lifespan and at the very least, it'll cause higher noise levels because your fan will have to work overtime.

MSI's new N580GTX Lighting Xtreme Edition also carries a new fan design that indicates the card's temperature by changing its fan's color. Leveraging MSI's smart temperature sensor technology, the fans gradually shift from a royal blue hue to stark white when your chassis' ambient air temperature exceeds 45C (113F). The fan also offers 20% better airflow than MSI's previous implementations.

The new N580GTX features an 832MHz core clock speed, 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM operating at an effective 4200MHz on a 384-bit interface. It has 16-phase PWM (an industry first for the GTX 580, says MSI), copper MOS with 2x high current capacity, triple overvoltage protection,  dual DVI outputs alongside a single HDMI port and a DisplayPort connector. Online pricing appears to be set around $600.

Permalink to story.

wow! it changes color and spins backwards!

>_> really? no brain in that color change, dont know if they should be proud or be ashamed of not using that backwards spin since a lot, every dam time i have to clean a radiator whit a air pump i have this idea.

Hey here is a nice one too, make the back hole in that video card more big and remove those wide bars, it adds pressure to the air flow avoiding the hot air to get out more easily.

"Leveraging MSI's smart temperature sensor technology, the fans gradually shift from a royal blue hue to stark white when your chassis' ambient air temperature exceeds 45C (113C)."

How would you be able to see the color of the fans through all the smoke and flames? =P

I don't know what's worse, this, or putting 2GB VRAM on a sub $120 video card.

@gwailo247
FWIW, I don't think there's much in a chassis that would combust at 113C (even using the good Chinese plastic) -unless Michael Bay turned system builder.

The best part about the whole deal is that you'd either need a Silverstone vertical mount (Raven, Fortress)/ Lian Li upside down non-vapor-chamber-friendly chassis, or get intimate and jam your head into the bottom of a conventional chassis to experience the U2-esque light show.

I don't know what's worse, this, or putting 2GB VRAM on a sub $120 video card.
Both sound fairly sane compared with PoV's GTX 550 Ti 4GB, or Dell/HP etc need for 3GB GT 440's.

Leeky said:
@gwailo247
FWIW, I don't think there's much in a chassis that would combust at 113C (even using the good Chinese plastic) -unless Michael Bay turned system builder.

I'll make it burn, melt, and shoot flames! :haha:

"UK man sets record for highest ambient chassis temperature in a still functioning computer. Doctors are optimistic."

LOL...great. A card that will blow dust back into your case with every boot. And by golly, it has a fan that you can't see anyway because it's in your case, that changes color when it's ready to blow.

Uhhh - no thanks. I'll splurge for a $1.25 can of compressed air and do my usual quarterly PC cleaning which has always seemed to work fine. :p

TomSEA said:
I'll splurge for a $1.25 can of compressed air and do my usual quarterly PC cleaning which has always seemed to work fine. :p

The heck you get compressed duster for a buck twenty-five?

gwailo247 said:
Leeky said:
@gwailo247

I'll make it burn, melt, and shoot flames! :haha:

"UK man sets record for highest ambient chassis temperature in a still functioning computer. Doctors are optimistic."

Hey i'm from the UK too! and I managed to get my temp up to 114C!
I think me and Leeky should have a challenge :p

The fans change colors? As in, the fans that nobody can see because they're facing the bottom of the case? Genius!

spin backwards to clear dust?
am I supposed to have it spin backwards inside computer case and let the dust scatter inside the case?
I think it should invent something that can swallow dust and produce electricity.

Relic said:
TomSEA said:
I'll splurge for a $1.25 can of compressed air and do my usual quarterly PC cleaning which has always seemed to work fine. :p

The heck you get compressed duster for a buck twenty-five?

No kidding! I buy mine by the 3-pack for $15 at Target. I would buy $1.50 canned air in a minute!

You guys realize it's 113 Farenheit, right? 45C? Or was this just a dumb overblown joke about a typo.

dividebyzero said: "MSI's new GTX 580 expels dust, changes fan color based on temp"

Define new.
The card has been out in the retail channel for over three months.

yeah, but it's new to MSI. Like when your buddy says he bought a new car, you don't respond with 'New? Cars have been around for like 100 years.'

yeah, but it's new to MSI. Like when your buddy says he bought a new car, you don't respond with 'New? Cars have been around for like 100 years.'
Maybe you should have taken the time to click the links.
This exact-same-identical model-SKU* (MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition**) -with all these groovy features -has been in retail for over three months.

For your analogy to work :
"Like when your buddy says he bought a new car, you respond with; Yeah, cool, 2010 model right ?"

* You know why I did this, right?
** Check the first verified owner review date, even if you can't be bothered checking the previous review dates which highlight these NEW features.

Back