iPhone 4S vs iPhone 4: How Does It Stack Up?

By on October 5, 2011, 3:22 AM

Apple's new CEO Tim Cook had big shoes to fill after Steve Jobs' departure last August, but yesterday's iPhone announcement provided the executive a chance to step into the limelight.

Contrary to what many were hoping, however, the iPhone 5 was a no-show at the event, so no bigger screen and no slimmer profile. Instead, the iPhone 4S is an incremental update to the iPhone 4 that keeps the same external design with new hardware under the hood.

This is comparable to what we saw when the iPhone 3G to 3GS transition. Apple has included some worthy upgrades to the popular iPhone 4 that will go a long way towards luring many new buyers as well as upgraders.

If you're on the fence about yesterday's update and what it means for iPhone users, here's what you need to know.

Read the rest of this article.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm probably still gonna get one, mainly because i'm up for a new one and i'm still on an orginal 3GS which is showing its age.

The other reason is that I've bought lots of apps that I would not want to lose.

Its not too bad, as long as the signal thing is fixed I'm not too fussed about this.

Definately under-whelming though...

DanUK DanUK said:

Even though I realllllyyyy don't like apple, they make a good phone! And seeing as I'm still using a 3g (lulz.. yes.. not even 3gs) I think I will try and pick one of these up next week.

How does it compare to samsung focus S or HTC Titan?

captainawesome captainawesome said:

That video has been removed

Editor: video added back, thank you.

iPhone 4S does support HDMI out by via an optional cable, the same one used by the iPad 2.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

So much for that 98% probability from that "built from rumors phone" haha

The "built from rumors phone" was a joke, But i guess it could still be true once the Iphone 5 does come out.

WIll be funny if it looks nothing like it though.

DanUK DanUK said:

captainawesome said:

So much for that 98% probability from that "built from rumors phone" haha

Building anything from rumors when apple are concerned seems pretty stupid to me considering how much of a tight ship they run at apple (in terms of information control).

You'll have more luck hanging around bars in california tbh.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Incremental, nice way of saying that you're just going to get more people to basically buy the same phone again.

mosu said:

So basically they make an iPhone4 on steroids!

It apppears to me as if maybe Steve Jobs left or was pushed out as the CEO position for MAYBE more than health reasons. I wonder IF the board started making decisions he didnt agree with and that forced him to step down? This would be the same thing the board did last time he was pushed out. If that is the case then apple stock is going down to below $100 per share when the public at large finds out.

I expected this to happen when Steve dies anyway. It is a shame the bean counters rehashed a phone with basically old tech, even the processor is old tech. This phone is mostly old tech and im sure it is not something Steve would allow to happen. It is exactally what a board who is lazy and trying to do nothing and still make money. I didnt hear anything about a new tablet either? I wonder if apple is going to milk that again with old tech? For the record I have only ever owned a 17" Macbook pro 09 model, its been the pc for me for the last 20 years as an IT manager.

Space51773

Interesting that there is no Windows Phone Mango in the mix. Could it be it would BEST them all?

Lionvibez said:

Space51773

If the first part of your post was true it would have happen when tim cook took over and the stock price didn't drop.

Now Apple has to respond to all the rumors with another iPhone, this one better.

KG363 KG363 said:

How does it compare to samsung focus S or HTC titan

Those specs have been released, I don't know why they didn't compare it. At worst the could put N/A in some places

LOL. no.......

How does it stack up against the SGS2? It doesn't.

Not with that tiny little screen you can't see when you have more than one finger over, and trying to play games means you see all of nothing.

1ghz dual core? Is this 2010?

And they just bought the speech recognition software and added a shortcut to open it into the OS and now the original siri app will stop functioning on non 4s phones.

Apple. Removing applications on older devices to pass them off as features in the new model since 1999.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

mosu said:

So basically they make an iPhone4 on steroids!

So the S stands for Steroids? Works for me!

Gars Gars said:

9Nails said:

mosu said:

So basically they make an iPhone4 on steroids!

So the S stands for Steroids? Works for me!

no, S stands (be)for 5

1977TA said:

The Samsung Nexus Prime looks fing insane! 1280 x 720 res and dual core 1.5mhz cpu? That's almost as good as my crappy Dell laptop.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

1977TA said:

a 1.5mhz cpu hey?

you do realise that makes this new iPhone well over 1000x more powerful?

1977TA said:

Bah, you know what I meant! geeez

treeski treeski said:

Yeah... lame that no Windows phones have been included on the list.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Even if Windows Phones were included, they would still look under-powered in comparison. That is because the WP7 OS does not need such beefy specs to run the OS smoothly, as opposed to iOS and Android.

treeski treeski said:

lawfer said:

I agree that WP7 does not need such beefy specs, but it's not reallyt rue that it wouldn't stack up.

Just look at the HTC Titan:

4.7" screen 480x800

512MB Ram

1.5GHz Scorpion Processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8255 chipset

16GB storage

up to 15day standby time, up to 11hr talk time

8MP back camera with 720p video, 1.3MP front camera

micro USB

5.17" x 2.78" x 0.39"

I'm not saying it breaks any boundaries, but it definitely stacks up.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

1977TA said:

Bah, you know what I meant! geeez

Lol! hell yeah i knew what you meant!

techeomania said:

What makes iPhone 4S stand out is a feature called 'Siri' that allows users to connect with the interface and get all the functions done just by speaking them out to the phone. Be it composing messages, asking questions like the weather conditions or setting reminders, everything is just that much more easy. This feature surely leaves behind all its rivals and emerges as the clear winner.!

For more info check out : [link]

1977TA said:

A very clear winner *rolls eyes*

Apple users are going to be Apple users. Same with Android people ( which is stealing Apples customer base currently btw ).

I have friends and family that use iPhones, they love them. They are also the most technically challenged people I know ( no offense ma! ). I like bad A phones which is why I stick with Android.

tonylukac said:

How about whether these phones are 3G or 4G?

As soon as I saw the release of the iPhone 4S, I drove to the shops and purchased a SII.

iPhone 4S is the biggest joke in the mobile world right now.

aj_the_kidd said:

techeomania said:

Clear winner please. When you get the phone you may want to ask, "how do i remove my head from my ass?"

NZvista said:

iPhone 5.

This changes nothing. Again.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

treeski said:

lawfer said:

Just look at the HTC Titan:

4.7" screen 480x800

512MB Ram

1.5GHz Scorpion Processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8255 chipset

16GB storage

up to 15day standby time, up to 11hr talk time

8MP back camera with 720p video, 1.3MP front camera

micro USB

5.17" x 2.78" x 0.39"

I'm not saying it breaks any boundaries, but it definitely stacks up.

Nah. Both the A5 and Tegra outperform Adreno 205.

Both the A5 and Tegra are also faster, and less power-consuming, than the Snapdragon's cousin, Scorpion (which is a Snapdragon with 500MHz)

Everything else you mentioned, is pretty much standard nowadays. And the very fact you consider the Titan a top of the line WP7 that seem to be worthy to be comparable to iPhone 4S and/or Galaxy SII, is actually sad.

Do not get me wrong, by now some people in here might know I am an WP7 fan. I own one myself. So I'm not bashing it just for the sake of it. But the truth is, the OS does NOT need such specs, therefor why there hasn't been any phone with such specs. The OS could definitely have them, but it would put them to little to no use.

MMDominator88 MMDominator88 said:

You guys have the RAM for the iPhone 4s listed as 1 gig, however on the teardown article (http://www.techspot.com/news/45764-report-pegs-iphone-4s-ma
ufacturing-cost-at-203.html) it is listed as 512MB. You guys might want to fix this article so it is not misleading.

techeomania said:

the choices of different individuals vary mate.!

I personally love Apple products more than any other gadget.!

platinumsteel said:

Amazing how close the spec comparison is...!! Somehow i believe that they had already made the 4S and all they did was slightly downgrade the Specs call it Iphone 4 ....and then a year later bring out the real 4S and call it and upgrade to the Iphone 4.....all i see is marketing strategy.....with apple and also microsoft...but the features of the phone r nice and i think i will still buy 1 before christmas..Hopefully buy the time i buy it the iphone 5 is not ready yet...i will be extremely mad....

Hey I was wondering how would the Apple Iphone 4S stack up against the rumoured but highly probable "XPERIA DUO". That mobile should be releasing this coming month!